Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is a live auction and so I would not normally post until auction end, but it does have a BIN option so am posting it as it is a real doozy in more ways than one.
If you were secretly hoping to keep this under the radar and low ball it, my apologies.

View attachment 15543
Dunhill Namiki Maki-E Rakucho Limited Edition Tobacco Pipe - Kyusai Yoshida | eBay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223848885560
This pig has been up for sale for years.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
What’s the etiquette for posting current auctions to get a read on it from the community? Start another thread for it or just don’t do it? The one I’m looking at is BIN or Make and Offer.

thanks

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What’s the etiquette for posting current auctions to get a read on it from the community? Start another thread for it or just don’t do it? The one I’m looking at is BIN or Make and Offer.

thanks
The general attitude expressed here falls along the lines of "Why would you tip everyone off about a pipe you find desirable? Are you trying to make sure that it gets snatched before you make a decision?" If there are people here whose knowledge you respect, send them a PM. That's how most here handle questions like this.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
The general attitude expressed here falls along the lines of "Why would you tip everyone off about a pipe you find desirable? Are you trying to make sure that it gets snatched before you make a decision?" If there are people here whose knowledge you respect, send them a PM. That's how most here handle questions like this.
I have a comparable pipe to the one in the auction and would like to find out what makes the eBay pipe so collectable and see if it applies to mine.

I am not looking to sell my pipe just trying to understand if I misjudged mine.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a comparable pipe to the one in the auction and would like to find out what makes the eBay pipe so collectable and see if it applies to mine.

I am not looking to sell my pipe just trying to understand if I misjudged mine.
So why not start a thread about the pipe in your collection and ask about its collectibility? Reference eBay pipe after the auction is over and see if any of the knowledgeable folks around here can supply an answer.
eBay prices on a collectible item can vary widely and not just because of condition. A lot depends on how well the item is presented. A lot depends on who is looking. With pipes, grain, finish color, surface texture, and shaping can make one pipe seem more desirable than its twin.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's an interesting auction that completed this morning:

The pipe is about as rare a Barling as there is, on par with a Charatan Underboar. In the 12 or so years that I've been actively tracking Barlings on eBay, this is the first Tro-Tube I've seen. Unlike the two other Tro-Tubes I've seen, this one still has the tube.

Reactions: pitchfork

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Here's an interesting auction that completed this morning:

View attachment 17220

The pipe is about as rare a Barling as there is, on par with a Charatan Underboar. In the 12 or so years that I've been actively tracking Barlings on eBay, this is the first Tro-Tube I've seen. Unlike the two other Tro-Tubes I've seen, this one still has the tube.
I saw that one Jesse.It does nothing for me but agree it certainly isnt very common that they come up for sale

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
SASIENI FOUR DOT "Cumberland" BULLDOG, PATENT FAMILY ERA, very good condition | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/SASIENI-FOUR-DOT-Cumberland-BULLDOG-PATENT-FAMILY-ERA-very-good-condition/283749558619

This a rather rare shape and in amazingly nice condition. $570.00

s-l1600.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What is this thing called Tro-Tube?
The Tro-Tube was a pipe fitted with a condenser to cool the smoke. Generally, Barling made pipes without condensers, but they were nothing if not inventive. So in response to the fashion of the day (1920's) they created the Tro-Tube. Eventually they would produce three distinctly different lines of pipes with filters or stingers, but this was the first as far as we know.

I saw that one Jesse.It does nothing for me but agree it certainly isnt very common that they come up for sale
Visually it does little for me as well, though that may change once I clean it up. The pictures aren't good enough to tell what kind of shape it truly is in.
But as a Barling collector I'm not just interested in the beauty pageant winners. I already have enough of those. I'm interested in the "marginalia", the rare and uncommon pipes that represent innovation or which offer some point of historical interest for me.
When I visited John Fabris, he showed me many of the crown jewels of his collection, pipes of exquisite manufacture in immaculate condition. At the end he told me that he was holding the best for last and that he had something really special to show me. He pulled out a case and handed it to me with evident pleasure. Inside I found two very worn buffed down pipes. This was a cased set of Charatan Overboars. I completely understand.