PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Confirming that this is a 1960 Don? I have been looking for a 1960 for a while.
Did you end up getting this Don?

I'm not really a Dunhill fan, but I do have one of their pipes that has stayed in my collection (a bamboo shank billiard with amazing ring grain). The standard shapes and materials don't interest me much, for the price point.

I like the look of the Don, though, with the short shank and curving stem that is thin and then wide.

There's just something about that design that seems playful and if I ever did get another, it would probably be that style. Do the older stems have that same design?

Nice looking pipes, in my opinion.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Did you end up getting this Don?

I'm not really a Dunhill fan, but I do have one of their pipes that has stayed in my collection (a bamboo shank billiard with amazing ring grain). The standard shapes and materials don't interest me much, for the price point.

I like the look of the Don, though, with the short shank and curving stem that is thin and then wide.

There's just something about that design that seems playful and if I ever did get another, it would probably be that style. Do the older stems have that same design?

Nice looking pipes, in my opinion.
I did and it's my birthyear pipe. Came in good shape. You could tell that the seller wasn't a pipe guy/gal, they shipped the pipe in an envelope with the stem still stuck in the pipe. :oops: Amazing that the gorillas at USPS din't snap it off. lol

I had a Don, but I swear the squirrels must have stole it and buried it in the back yard. The stem was left in a flower pot as an insult, but no wood. Little bastard must have thought it was a nut. My dog bit off half of one of their tails a couple of years back. Stealing my Dunhill (obviously) was payback.

I'l try and do some before and after pics.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JTex

Lurker
Oct 2, 2019
China Spring, Texas
I have always admired some Dunhill pipes, particularly the paneled billiards. However, I knock my pipes around a bit in the workshop, and I would not be comfortable with a very expensive pipe in that situation. The Dunhill Tanshell didn't cost me that much and I can enjoy it in my regular rotation. I have found several othe pipes on EBAY including two Comoy's which I won at a very reasonable price. I am careful to review the way the seller explains the condition. A non-pipe smoker may not really know how to gauge condition, and I may end up with something that cannot be restored.

JTex

Lurker
Oct 2, 2019
China Spring, Texas
I place an EBAY bid on a GBD New Standard Collector, tomato shape, with a perspex stem (9568) and my bid was the only one entered. The pipe arrived yesterday. This pipe has seen very little use and will be a gem when cleaned and ozone treated. The seller is apparently not a pipe person. The pipe was shipped with the stem in the mortise. Fortunately, it was wrapped in bubble wrap and secured with tape. I have not had a great deal of success as the high bidder on EBAY, so I was shocked when there were no other bids. Pics on the seller's site were clear and gave a good idea of the condition. i don't know why no more interest unless the tomato shape is not appealing to pipe smokers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I place an EBAY bid on a GBD New Standard Collector, tomato shape, with a perspex stem (9568) and my bid was the only one entered. The pipe arrived yesterday. This pipe has seen very little use and will be a gem when cleaned and ozone treated. The seller is apparently not a pipe person. The pipe was shipped with the stem in the mortise. Fortunately, it was wrapped in bubble wrap and secured with tape. I have not had a great deal of success as the high bidder on EBAY, so I was shocked when there were no other bids. Pics on the seller's site were clear and gave a good idea of the condition. i don't know why no more interest unless the tomato shape is not appealing to pipe smokers.
I'd say that overall interest in buying pipes is diminishing in favor of stocking up on tobaccos. eBay prices on estate Britwood have plummeted. While there will always be collectors looking for and paying for rarities, I suspect they're becoming less interested in rare pipes and more interested in rare tobaccos.

JTex

Lurker
Oct 2, 2019
China Spring, Texas
I'd say that overall interest in buying pipes is diminishing in favor of stocking up on tobaccos. eBay prices on estate Britwood have plummeted. While there will always be collectors looking for and paying for rarities, I suspect they're becoming less interested in rare pipes and more interested in rare tobaccos.
i believe you are on to something. I sold several tins of McClelland Christmas Cheer 2015 through Steve Fallon at PipeStud for a very good price. The tobacco lost its appeal to me after a couple of tins. Now, someone else can enjoy it, and I will invest into some more tobacco that better suits my taste.

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
Is it a PeteBar? What about a BarPete? All suggestions for other names are welcome.

What seems clear is that it is a top grade K&P from 1903 with what looks very much like a period replacement stem because somebody other than me also disliked the P-lip. Or maybe they chewed through it. But was the Barling windcap put on separately or ordered via Kapp & Peterson's? Very weird.

I just bought it yesterday on eBay. It is being shipped tomorrow. I have no idea what it looks like other than the pictures from eBay that you can see below. Which show a dent in the top and a missing silver pin. It wasn't cheap but it wasn't over the moon either.

It may be unique because nobody I've talked to has heard of this marriage before. But there is a picture of a BBB from 1882 on Pipedia in their BBB page, and Jesse has told me that Barling did the silverwork for BBB in the 1880s. But a Barling windcap on a Pete in 1903????? It will be interesting to see if there are any English hallmarks inside the lid.

This is another one I'm not sure if I want to smoke. But I have finally decided to smoke the Benjamin Barling 1851 meer but simply haven't yet found the time.

Mark

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was definitely watching that one - glad you nabbed it!
I suspect the silversmiths made custom pieces?
That was a good price on a Patent Peterson with or without that cap!

Is it a PeteBar? What about a BarPete? All suggestions for other names are welcome.
Even it if does look odd with that fishtale button....<g>

What seems clear is that it is a top grade K&P from 1903 with what looks very much like a period replacement stem because somebody other than me also disliked the P-lip. Or maybe they chewed through it. But was the Barling windcap put on separately or ordered via Kapp & Peterson's? Very weird.

I just bought it yesterday on eBay. It is being shipped tomorrow. I have no idea what it looks like other than the pictures from eBay that you can see below. Which show a dent in the top and a missing silver pin. It wasn't cheap but it wasn't over the moon either.

It may be unique because nobody I've talked to has heard of this marriage before. But there is a picture of a BBB from 1882 on Pipedia in their BBB page, and Jesse has told me that Barling did the silverwork for BBB in the 1880s. But a Barling windcap on a Pete in 1903????? It will be interesting to see if there are any English hallmarks inside the lid.

This is another one I'm not sure if I want to smoke. But I have finally decided to smoke the Benjamin Barling 1851 meer but simply haven't yet found the time.

Mark

View attachment 9799

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
I was definitely watching that one - glad you nabbed it!
I suspect the silversmiths made custom pieces?
That was a good price on a Patent Peterson with or without that cap!
Good to hear. I don’t follow Patent Peterson’s so wasn’t sure what it was worth.
mark

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Mark

View attachment 9799View attachment 9800View attachment 9801View attachment 9802
Mark,

That's a really neat piece! If the year hallmark is for 1903, then the cap is definitely a later addition, as Barling didn't come out with this particular cap until 1906. It looks right at home on that pipe. While I have no way (as yet) of knowing if Barling would have supplied a silver fitment to a Peterson, I have no reason to believe that they would not if requested. Their written policy was that they were happy to handle custom requests. If the entity making that request was a member of their dealerships, or a well known customer I think they would have been happy to provide the service.

Barling did BBB's silver work in the early 1880's until BBB set up their own smithy.

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
Hi Jesse
This has the same RE number as the 1906 Barling shown in the Pipedia Barling page. If it has British hallmarks that should tell the tale. However, according to the Peterson book, the hall marked silver bands were sometimes used after the stamping because the stamping was done in lots by a government office. So hallmarks of 1903 on the sleeve don't mean the K&P was made in 1903, and it may have been a year or two (or 3?) later.

I will post again when the pipe arrives and I see whether the wind cap has hallmarks.

Currently happily smoking the 1851 Benjamin Barling

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Oh My!

s-l1600.jpg

Buy it Now $1,200.00