4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

This upshall went really cheap. I don’t know much about Upshalls, still not serious about buying so put in a half hearted second highest bid, to help the seller

This is very simple really. An interested buyer would put a max bid based on the value he perceives. This is his ceiling.

As a competitor I don’t know his ceiling. But I can see the floor. Even without researching ceiling I can see it is going cheap. So I put in an amount of money I can afford to spend as my ceiling. If I bid over the ceiling of the interested bidder I will win it. This often happens, if the winning bidder has also put in a low ceiling.

So it’s a win all around...

1. If the interested bidder has bid a fair amount he wins
  2. If the interested bidder has lowballed then I win
  3. Seller wins in both cases as the bid goes up

Another way to put it is that you put in a half hearted second highest bid to hurt the buyer.

It seems like a very strange reason to bid to me. To be fair, I'm probably missing something. I just don't understand the motivation of something like that.

Reactions: jhowell

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I thought there must be something more to it. It first read like you just put in a bid knowing it wouldn't go anywhere only to bump it up for the seller, which seemed odd.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
This one still has time to go...$470.00
Rare Shape, great finish, condition?? Looks a little toasty up top.

Vintage Dunhill Root Briar Estate Pipe | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dunhill-Root-Briar-Estate-Pipe/264525103786

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: burleyboy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yikes, $532 on that Dunhill (belge?)

This one was referred to me by a buddy in Europe. Massive, Magnum sized Parker (1936?). BUT, it has several large cracks. Rich Esserman said they were most likely flaws from the start, which relegated it to being a Parker. He said that he would never trust to smoke it, I agree. Some folks sure were interested in the pipe. Eight bidders (Private) w/22 bids, ended at $340. Did they know something Rich nor I didn't? $340 for a display piece seems pretty high.

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yikes, $532 on that Dunhill (belge?)

This one was referred to me by a buddy in Europe. Massive, Magnum sized Parker (1936?). BUT, it has several large cracks. Rich Esserman said they were most likely flaws from the start, which relegated it to being a Parker. He said that he would never trust to smoke it, I agree. Some folks sure were interested in the pipe. Eight bidders (Private) w/22 bids, ended at $340. Did they know something Rich nor I didn't? $340 for a display piece seems pretty high.

s-l1600.jpg

Yikes indeed. Maybe the buyer just liked the idea of owning a unique bit of tobacciana rather than a functioning pipe. Makes one hell of a doorstop. It can probably be made functional with enough epoxy and briar dust. At least until it splits again.

The copy is misleading since it says it was made by Dunhill. It wasn't made by Dunhill, it was made by Parker, a separate operation formed by Dunhill to handle its discards.

As for the price on the Dunhill belge, there are many people out there of greater faith than me when it comes to buying online.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc