May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reactions: ChuckMijo

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
The mysterious Brooklyn seller has sold another NOS Charatan. This time it's a 'Supreme' freehand from the 60s. Congratulations to the winner.

What puzzles me is the $400 price sticker on the mouthpiece (pic 9). That can't be the original retail price from 1965 ("DC- stem") - 1969. During that time a Supreme cost $70 - $100. (Coronation $250 - $300).

What do you think?

Charatan Lane Era Charatan's Make Supreme Free Hand 1960s Unsmoked Pipe | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charatan-Lane-Era-Charatan-039-s-Make-Supreme-Free-Hand-1960s-Unsmoked-Pipe-/303857544485?nma=true&si=eE6uKeF3XGtZV8czJEx%252BCPJKtHo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Agreed, just the printed sticker alone says 1990's (when computers became available. I think prior, shops would have had hand written price stickers, right? Perhaps he has access to the inventory of a now closed shop.

The mysterious Brooklyn seller has sold another NOS Charatan. This time it's a 'Supreme' freehand from the 60s. Congratulations to the winner.

What puzzles me is the $400 price sticker on the mouthpiece (pic 9). That can't be the original retail price from 1965 ("DC- stem") - 1969. During that time a Supreme cost $70 - $100. (Coronation $250 - $300).

What do you think?

Charatan Lane Era Charatan's Make Supreme Free Hand 1960s Unsmoked Pipe | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charatan-Lane-Era-Charatan-039-s-Make-Supreme-Free-Hand-1960s-Unsmoked-Pipe-/303857544485?nma=true&si=eE6uKeF3XGtZV8czJEx%252BCPJKtHo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The thread is in the British Pipes section and titled:

Interesting Completed Ebay Auctions - British Pipes​

A separate thread for all Ebay auctions could be created in the Pipe Talk section.

Reactions: edger

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe someone forgot Valentine's Day?

Almost from the start, albeit it with decidedly limited success, Dunhill tried best--with both products and marketing--to create a vogue for pipe smoking among women. Some early examples resembled objects of art deco jewelry with real ivory stems and pave diamond decoration.

Later on (as with this pipe), clearly aimed for a more frugal customer, the gimmick was that one of the interchangeable bowls could be used to fully smoke all the tobacco of an unfiltered cigarette by cutting it into halves and peeling away the paper.

Admittedly, these don't often come up for sale. Still less with both the original cardboard box and promotional flyer. But $3400?

LADY'S DUNHILL.jpg

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
Maybe someone forgot Valentine's Day?

Almost from the start, albeit it with decidedly limited success, Dunhill tried best--with both products and marketing--to create a vogue for pipe smoking among women. Some early examples resembled objects of art deco jewelry with real ivory stems and pave diamond decoration.

Later on (as with this pipe), clearly aimed for a more frugal customer, the gimmick was that one of the interchangeable bowls could be used to fully smoke all the tobacco of an unfiltered cigarette by cutting it into halves and peeling away the paper.

Admittedly, these don't often come up for sale. Still less with both the original cardboard box and promotional flyer. But $3400?

View attachment 66670
Isn’t that pipe from 1934?

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Isn’t that pipe from 1934?

It definitely sounds like you, ChuckMijo, may know more about Dunhill Ladies pipes than I do. Why 1934?

Unless I missed it there doesn't seem to be anything in the seller's photos or listing to date the pipe. Nor for that matter, to show whether or not these had Dunhill's usual nomenclature.

My half educated guess--judging from a US trade ad from 1927 featuring this model suggesting it was being launched in time for that year's Christmas (which I stumbled on a couple of years ago), I'd lean toward the ebay pipe being a bit earlier than you suggest.

Of course the more metaphysical question is to what extent it's a pipe at all (rather than a kind of hybrid product lost in limbo between Dunhill's pipes and their extensive line of cigarette holders)?

Dunhill Lady's Cocktail Pipe1927 NY  ad.jpg

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
It definitely sounds like you, ChuckMijo, may know more about Dunhill Ladies pipes than I do. Why 1934?

Unless I missed it there doesn't seem to be anything in the seller's photos or listing to date the pipe. Nor for that matter, to show whether or not these had Dunhill's usual nomenclature.

My half educated guess--judging from a US trade ad from 1927 featuring this model suggesting it was being launched in time for that year's Christmas (which I stumbled on a couple of years ago), I'd lean toward the ebay pipe being a bit earlier than you suggest.

Of course the more metaphysical question is to what extent it's a pipe at all (rather than a kind of hybrid product lost in limbo between Dunhill's pipes and their extensive line of cigarette holders)?

View attachment 66681
This ad is interesting. I thought, Dunhill would exclusively provide men with luxury articles.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
I belong to a pipe collecting group and someone recently posted that pipe. Another member posted a date of 34 from Pipephil. But your correct it could be earlier then that. There was some discussion about its rarity. I guess if you collect Dunhill this is a nice/ rare one to have in your collection.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
I belong to a pipe collecting group and someone recently posted that pipe. Another member posted a date of 34 from Pipephil. But your correct it could be earlier then that. There was some discussion about its rarity. I guess if you collect Dunhill this is a nice/ rare one to have in your collection.
Excellent material on pipedia. The 1934 date given is evidently a guess based on a newspaper article (obviously run some years after the pipe was put into production). The pipedia estimate of value (they show a green plastic version as well) ranges from $250-300.