Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Some interesting Charatans ended tonight, for big bucks. This Brooklyn NY based seller continues to list some pretty rare pipes. I wonder from what NY estate these were from? (need to ask Lou)

Unsmoked Coronation, only 9 bids, but $1275 outcome. Pretty amazing pipe.

View attachment 62425

Another weird figural, but collectors seem to know something I don't. Nobody every accused me of good taste...$1,636

View attachment 62426
No and god no both.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Can someone explain why this 1993 Ashton went for so much?

You're thinking logically. It went for the money it went for because someone wanted that particular pipe enough to pay that price for it. Also, Chance's photography is better than SP. He really reveals the blast on this pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Some interesting Charatans ended tonight, for big bucks. This Brooklyn NY based seller continues to list some pretty rare pipes. I wonder from what NY estate these were from? (need to ask Lou)

View attachment 62425

Another weird figural, but collectors seem to know something I don't. Nobody every accused me of good taste...$1,636

View attachment 62426
These are trophy pipes, centerpieces for an extensive collection. I doubt that either will be smoked, ever. Dark ring and all, I'm not sure that the Coronation was ever smoked. The bottom of the chamber and the airway don't appear to have the least bit of staining. While the shaping leaves something to be desired, there's no question that the carver was at pains to exploit every possibility in that block.

Reactions: beefeater33

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You're thinking logically. It went for the money it went for because someone wanted that particular pipe enough to pay that price for it. Also, Chance's photography is better than SP. He really reveals the blast on this pipe.
You mean like this? :)
s-l1600.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Makes no sense to me. Ashton started in 1983, ten years previous (well, really 1984), so it's mid years. Ashtons of that ear, in that condition sell, every week for half that price (or less). I guess someone really wanted that one (the Ebay haze) OR it will be relisted next week due to lack of payment, when they come to their senses.

Can someone explain why this 1993 Ashton went for so much?

jeremiah

Lurker
Jul 14, 2017
That Ashton is very classic Dunhill-esque, moreso than a lot of other B.T. Ashtons. What would an identical Dunhill from that year be worth?
Honestly, not that much. Dunhill as a factory had much higher production numbers.

We're also seeing what I call "the brand premium" come into play here. Not Ashton as a brand but the seller as a brand.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany

View attachment 62425

View attachment 62426
I think the price for the Coronation is not excessive. A new one would cost a lot more today. In 1965 (the year this one was made), a Coronation cost $250. That was quite a bit of money back then, considering inflation, which you couldn't spend on a pipe just like that. It looks very attractive with the great grain and the extravagant shape. However, even if I could afford it, I would not buy it. It is rather a briar work of art than a pipe that you take in hand for smoking. I would prefer a more classic shape and they aren't cheap either.

But I would also love to know who this seller actually is and where he got all those charatans.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think the price for the Coronation is not excessive. A new one would cost a lot more today. In 1965 (the year this one was made), a Coronation cost $250. That was quite a bit of money back then, considering inflation, which you couldn't spend on a pipe just like that. It looks very attractive with the great grain and the extravagant shape. However, even if I could afford it, I would not buy it. It is rather a briar work of art than a pipe that you take in hand for smoking. I would prefer a more classic shape and they aren't cheap either.

But I would also love to know who this seller actually is and where he got all those charatans.
10 years ago, when the NYC club used to meet at Florio's, there was an ER surgeon I sat with at several meetings. He claimed to have over 1000 Charatans and always had some incredible high grades with him at the meeting. He was about my age, but I wonder if he passed or is selling off his collection. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name. They do a monthly Zoom call I've been trying to get on, I'll have to try harder and see where they think is the source.

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
10 years ago, when the NYC club used to meet at Florio's, there was an ER surgeon I sat with at several meetings. He claimed to have over 1000 Charatans and always had some incredible high grades with him at the meeting. He was about my age, but I wonder if he passed or is selling off his collection. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name. They do a monthly Zoom call I've been trying to get on, I'll have to try harder and see where they think is the source.
,,Thanks for your research. This is really suspenseful. If this surgeon is indeed the source and the statements about his 1000 pipes are correct, then we can look forward to many more offers. With 1000 Charatans, he (the surgeon) would actually have been predestined for the ICCS. But he would have told that for sure.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A pretty uncommon Comoy's, but went higher than I would have guessed. Nomenclature a little worn.

1612101317204.png

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Reactions: Papamique