PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Do you have a link to that auction?
Sometimes I have the problem that a US-seller won't ship to Germany.
Yes of course. The link is below. I would have purchased it myself but I'm trying to focus on certain items, which requires me to be a little less promiscuous with my purchases.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Yes of course. The link is below. I would have purchased it myself but I'm trying to focus on certain items, which requires me to be a little less promiscuous with my purchases.

Ah, I know that pipe, i had a nice conversation with the seller when he offered it for the first time (starting bid $ 50), weeks ago. He claimed that only Charatans with a DC-stem would have a CP--logo, not the older ones, as I asked him if the stem was a replacement because of the missing logo. I said that this was the funniest explanation for a missing logo I ever had heard. All charatans exept some early ones from Frederic Charatan have a CP-Logo on the stem. One day later he mailed me that he was wrong and thanked me for my words. I told him, that on his pipe the logo on the mouthpiece was probably buffed off.....

Btw. The Charatan 4420 is not from the Reuben-era.

Reactions: greeneyes

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I added two Barlings to the pile.

The first is a Corporate Era Barling bearing a stamp I'd not yet seen before, Duostem. Well, it's not exactly a dual stem pipe, it's a pipe with a briar shank extension (otherwise known as a spliced shank). It's in fairly minty condition, having barely been smoked. The cleaning is going well.

View attachment 42722

View attachment 42723
The next one was very interesting, a 1920's or earlier Barling Meerschaum with amber stem that looks pretty clean. I paid a little more than I thought ideal, but only by $15. As is typical, a sniper using a bot fired off a bunch of bids in the last few seconds but ran out of time. If you're reading this, I want you to know that you missed out by less than a dollar. Tough noogies!

View attachment 42724
View attachment 42725

These days I'm not interested in mainstream Barlings, more in the odd and special.
Jesse, you’ve got a good eye.
What I’m seeing from the listing pics of the Duostem is two different pipes in the first two pics.
The first, sure.
The second, WTH?!!
BTW, that Meer is outstanding!!

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, you’ve got a good eye.
What I’m seeing from the listing pics of the Duostem is two different pipes in the first two pics.
The first, sure.
The second, WTH?!!
BTW, that Meer is outstanding!!
Hi Mark,

Thank you!

Initially I had the same impression of the Duostem. Then I realized that it was the shank extension.

That Barling meer is sweet! Barely used. There was very little build up in the base of the chamber and no staining to the amber stem. The dingus looks almost showroom new and it dates to 1923.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Hi Mark,

Thank you!

Initially I had the same impression of the Duostem. Then I realized that it was the shank extension.

That Barling meer is sweet! Barely used. There was very little build up in the base of the chamber and no staining to the amber stem. The dingus looks almost showroom new and it dates to 1923.
To me, in the eBay listing the first picture shows a definite step-down on the vulcanite stem, whereas the second shows none. Therefore my curiosity.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
$285 to $668 in a last-second, six-way sniping frenzy is definitely my idea of dramatic auction finish.

A lovely example, by all appearances, of a 1919 Dunhill Bruyere billiard in really immaculate condition, with a period correct "soft antelope pipe glove"--I've been admiring it all week. But it does look tiny, even by the standards of the time.

1919 Dunhill Bruyere.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This sold recently in NZ for about $350US. Pipes look like they need work, some might have to be thrown out, but found it interesting to see nonetheless.

Reactions: bayareabriar
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
$285 to $668 in a last-second, six-way sniping frenzy is definitely my idea of dramatic auction finish.

A lovely example, by all appearances, of a 1919 Dunhill Bruyere billiard in really immaculate condition, with a period correct "soft antelope pipe glove"--I've been admiring it all week. But it does look tiny, even by the standards of the time.

View attachment 46215

4,5 inches long and 1,5 tall.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
My favourite Non-seller on ebay

On the other hand you can get a NOS Crown Achievement (2 grades above the Achievement) for less money...

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
My favourite Non-seller on ebay

On the other hand you can get a NOS Crown Achievement (2 grades above the Achievement) for less money...

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
My 'gut feeling' is that the first one, the Achievement, was made during the Dunhill era (after 1976). The shape looks more Danish and not like Joan's work nor Stan or Barry's work from the 1960s or 1970 -1976. Additionally, the grain on this one looks more like a fine Executive or Selected. Furthermore, Charatan 'never' stamped anything on the bowl of the pipe - only on the shank and mouthpiece.
I think that the second one is a Charatan Crown Achievemnt from the late 60s - mid 1970s.