PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Hi Ken

Is it worth the $828,00 ?
Actually, on closer inspection, I think that the Crown Achievement is an early one, before the scripted 'City of London' stamp was introduced (i.e. Made by Hand) and after the DC mouthpiece was first used. So about 1965-66? I do not know what the prices are for early Crown Achievements - they are pretty rare. I am sure there are some serious Charatan collectors on this forum who have more experiences. I do know that a lovely Billiard Crown Achievement sold on ebay 2 years ago for $12,000.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Does the made by hand stamp not indicate a pre 1965 pipe ?

Which picture shows the bowl stamp ?
Does it? Yes, that sounds about right, I will ask Barry to verify that too. The DC was first used in Nov 1964 so most probably an early 1965 piece! :)

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Does it? Yes, that sounds about right, I will ask Barry to verify that too. The DC was first used in Nov 1964 so most probably an early 1965 piece! :)
Hello Ken,
I think, they used the capitals (MADE BY HAND) in combination with a scripted line (City of London or Extra Large) for 6 month in 1965 and then (since1966) all lines were stamped in script fonts. This and the DC-stem second the rarity of this Crown Achievement.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Hello Ken,
I think, they used the capitals (MADE BY HAND) in combination with a scripted line (City of London or Extra Large) for 6 month in 1965 and then (since1966) all lines were stamped in script fonts. This and the DC-stem second the rarity of this Crown Achievement.
You are correct.
I own a few stamped as such. It looks nice and what I like is we can date them quite accurate.

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Hi Kottan,

You mean the "made by hand " stamp ?
Stamped twice , for no good reason :cry:
In my Ebay it is 9th picture .
Yes, two times the same marking on one pipe. That's highend quality in the reign of Dunhill. I think it was made after 2000 by Invicta (Colin Fromm).
Btw. The seller sent me an offer for a reduced price (less 1 K)
I'm glad you found the right picture in spite
of my wrong number. ?

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013

" Sanity is wasted on the sane "

The seller and I had a nice conversation concerning his assumption about the pipe being from 1916
which imho is nonsense.
He promised to amend the listing , but did not perform.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
Yes, two times the same marking on one pipe. That's highend quality in the reign of Dunhill. I think it was made after 2000 by Invicta (Colin Fromm).
Btw. The seller sent me an offer for a reduced price (less 1 K)
I'm glad you found the right picture in spite
of my wrong number. ?

How generous rotf

Invicta btw. carved some really nice pipes

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Hello Ken,

Well, that’s what Pipedia says... may be correct or not.

Kottan

Apr 5, 2020
Well, that’s what Pipedia says... may be correct or not.
Yes, I hope that (when Ken asks Barry Jones) Barry can recall the excact year and month when the scripted lines ('Extra Large' and 'In City of London') were inroduced and when the 'MADE BY HAND' marking was turned into lowercase script font. In another thread Ken said ....

(...) I think it was made around 1966 because I understand from Barry that the 'Made By Hand' stamp was changed to script at about this time to blend in better with the other scripted lettering (in this case Extra Large) and later Made in the City of London. (...)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The mother lode ended tonight, five incredible pipes.

Unsmoked James Upshall B grade, with gold band.

1603243887584.png

Unsmoked Charatan Crown Achievement

1603243963637.png

Unsmoked Charatan Achievement

1603244044352.png

Reactions: dcon and cshubhra