PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
This is one of the coolest most positive posts that I have seen in this thread of purse swinging gossip guzzling posts to date. Very educational too. As a result I have been researching Māori people/culture.I am very happy for you. Congratulations 🎊🍾🎉🎈
What bothers me, and it bothers me a lot, are eBay sellers that intentionally mislead potential buyers, insinuating that pipes were made by manufacturers that they weren't made by, filling the internet with conjecture and misinformation all to raise the hammer price on their wares. I won't comment on ongoing auctions as stipulated in the rules but, as always, caveat emptor.

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Reactions: Ryan

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
What bothers me, and it bothers me a lot, are eBay sellers that intentionally mislead potential buyers, insinuating that pipes were made by manufacturers that they weren't made by, filling the internet with conjecture and misinformation all to raise the hammer price on their wares. I won't comment on ongoing auctions as stipulated in the rules but, as always, caveat emptor.
I hear that. I’m looking forward to an auction of an antique calabash closing this weekend just so we can discuss the description. It’s either bullshitting or I am about to learn something I didn’t know - and I hope it’s the later.

As for the pipe with Māori carving. Had that been sold here in NZ, I would have expected it to have gone for 2-3x the amount it went for. Even my wife was surprised with “how cheap it was” and was the one who encouraged me to take the second chance offer

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It happens a lot. Not that there aren't ethical sellers on eBay, but there are enough unethical sellers that my advice to the buyer is to know what he's bidding on, REALLY know what he's bidding on. So many misattributed "Dunhill" pipes made by Auguste Dreyfuss and when you inform the seller and provide links to the makers' marks, they just continue to lie about what they're selling. So many people who have misquoted the Barling page to make false claims. So many "gently smoked" burned, fried, cremated pipes.

But sellers are only partly to blame. Uninformed buyers who don't take the time to learn about what they're bidding on, or don't think they need to know about what they're bidding on, make fraud profitable

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
It happens a lot. Not that there aren't ethical sellers on eBay, but there are enough unethical sellers that my advice to the buyer is to know what he's bidding on, REALLY know what he's bidding on. So many misattributed "Dunhill" pipes made by Auguste Dreyfuss and when you inform the seller and provide links to the makers' marks, they just continue to lie about what they're selling. So many people who have misquoted the Barling page to make false claims. So many "gently smoked" burned, fried, cremated pipes.

But sellers are only partly to blame. Uninformed buyers who don't take the time to learn about what they're bidding on, or don't think they need to know about what they're bidding on, make fraud profitable
As a seller about 4 times a year I get different nut jobs that message me and demand I change a listing because they are the foremost authority on a pipe (and are absolutely way off and wrong with their info). I’ve been called a charlatan. I correct them of course and also tell them it’s spelled Charatan.

As a buyer I can’t tell you how many thousands of dollars have been spent on pipes that have bad chambers or cracked shanks and wasn’t noted. But, I don’t expect the average bear to know what to look for. So I take that on when buying, that the average seller doesn’t know jack about pipes.

Anyway, awesome carved pipe 😀

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Bingo. Do your homework, stay in your lane, or don't bid.

I've bought over 400 pipes in the past decade, most of them on eBay. I can only think of a couple where I was surprised by a condition, etc.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I wonder if anyone here picked up this Hardcastle magnum?:

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
I wonder if anyone here picked up this Hardcastle magnum?: