PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have only ever placed my WCC orders online, but have nothing but good to say about these guys.
The website is easy to use, packaging and shipping was flawless and I'm a huge fan of their blends.
Old Dominion, Flake #558 and Rouxgaroux are all fantastic blends!
Keep up the good work Ernie!

In all of my years on this forum and in pipesmoking, I have never heard of Watch City tobacco blends. Or, maybe I just never paid attention. On the website now, mmmmmm, may have to order. I kind of like gruff callous customer Service, as long as I get the product. I prefer that to sweet as honey CS that never gets the product to me.

If you make a great blend, feel free to treat me like your bitch when I call. puffy

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Right now, Watch City is a two man operation. How Ernie finds time to blend tobacco by hand that he cases and tops, pack boxes, run the cash register for their walk in trade, etc., and be nice to anyone is a mystery to me. But he has been entirely pleasant with me, even though I did tell him once to go piss up a rope.

Amazing how a business could be successful over the two decades plus that Ernie has been there when he seems, in the view of at least one poster who has expounded at length on the subject, to have violated every sound business principal there is.

And Ernie is a pussycat compared to the person I talked with at Peretti a few years ago to complain about my credit card being hacked for the second time. They since admitted they had a problem, and claimed to have fixed it. I have no reason to doubt that they have. But I will never, ever, do business with them again after that phone call. I experienced true “Boston Nice. “

What oldgeez said. Watch City Cigar needs no defense. Top-shelf small business operation all the way.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
And I did find a rope and I’m here to tell you that attempting to “piss up it” was not a delightful experience.
I did uh... urinate up a rope when I was in the Army. During training we had to climb a rope to see how high we could climb before coming back down. I am 'scared of heights. After climbing a bit I looked down. I shouldn't have done that. That's when I, well you know the rest. I urinated up a rope. )-:

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I don't know BOTH sides of the story and don't really want to know - but anyone who has ever run a business knows there are days you just don't want to deal with some things. Heck, I went so far as banning people from coming to my office. I was raised in NY and we tell it like it is. It a person gets buttsore over blunt (in-your-face) comments - well addios.

Now where can buy 2 bowls of Penzance and one bowl of GLP Ravens Wing ?

ernieq

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2018
I don't know BOTH sides of the story and don't really want to know - but anyone who has ever run a business knows there are days you just don't want to deal with some things. Heck, I went so far as banning people from coming to my office. I was raised in NY and we tell it like it is. It a person gets buttsore over blunt (in-your-face) comments - well addios.

Now where can buy 2 bowls of Penzance and
You guys really love sutliff blending tobaccos resold back to you lol
uhhhhh.....no.

Reactions: ofafeather

ernieq

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2018
So, you don't use Sutliff products at all?
Well we use a mix of different manufacturers. Sutliff being the largest supplier right now in the USA of course we use their stuff. We also use Stokkebye and most recently some bulk we had an importer bring in from the UK.
we do use Sutliff blenders though but we absolutely do not simply repackage blends and stick our label on them.
in the store, however, 1Q, BCA, and RLP-6 are labeled also as Faneuil Hall, Boston Blackie and Harvard Square since these were the old CB Perkins names that older customers would come in and ask us for.
All blends are my own recipes, casings, toppings and traditional methods.

ernieq

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2018

Now where can buy 2 bowls of Penzance and one bowl of GLP Ravens Wing ?
Do you have a bowl that takes 2 ounces?

ernieq

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2018
Agreed. Blenders usually choose the quality and style they like most to start with. There were a ton of house blenders that used McClelland blending tobaccos and their blends had McClellandish flair but were unique house blends.
McClelland is sorely missed. When an ingredient goes missing I always discontinue a blend...such as McClelland’s Oriental Cavendish which was a key player in our old “Justice Mixture”.
we have used such houses of the past as Red Lion, House of Windsor and McClelland depending on what result we were looking for, but in this climate where tobacco goes missing without much warning, you need to be flexible.
Nothing wrong with Sutliff Blenders. They happen to be the cleanest base tobacco’s on the market and they are good people to work with. But damn, if only we could get some African and Brazilian Burley and Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.