If you're Allowed only one Pipe Shape, What would It Be?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I can't think of a shape I would prefer, as I haven't explored them all. Im smoking my small Dublin meer the most, but my Neerup Bent Egg is also a shape I really like. Exploring other Eggs on the market that would be my vote.

Stummel&Stem

Lurker
Jul 21, 2021
Conroe, TX
If you're allowed only one shape for life, but as many sizes and finishes as you would like (sizes of all parts increase/decrease in proportion), which shape would it be and why?

Mine would be a straight bulldog with a flat sitting side on the bottom. Thick walls, sturdy shank, light weight, decent sized bowl, sits upright, classy yet masculine. Can't ask for more.
General? Author
Specific? Sav 320
Second place would probably be a prince.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If you're allowed only one shape for life, but as many sizes and finishes as you would like (sizes of all parts increase/decrease in proportion), which shape would it be and why?

Mine would be a straight bulldog with a flat sitting side on the bottom. Thick walls, sturdy shank, light weight, decent sized bowl, sits upright, classy yet masculine. Can't ask for more.
Ditto!

4E53EE95-1FDD-4C3A-B9C0-7FCA3F1BA076.jpeg

Reactions: gentlemancob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It took me over a decade to figure out the relationship between my pipes and their shapes to the tobacco I smoked( which is all flakes, plugs and a rope. I finally came up with a criteria of the size and shapes that I really liked. Almost all of the pipes in my collection are either group 4-5 and the shapes are Billiards, Dublins, Rhodesians, Lovats, Apples,Bulldogs and one Volcano. I have two group 6 pipes that I hold while smoking. All my other pipes I clench. Before I choose a pipe to buy, I ask myself how well will that pipe smoke my favorite blends.

All my pipes except 2 that I currently own are American artisan pipes. The 2 that are not are my Jose Rubio Billiard and my 1966 Dunhill LB. After years of trying all kinds of Danish, Italian and British pipes I finally landed on my favorites which are my American artisan pipes. They smoke better than any of the other pipes I have owned. I cannot smoke acrylic stems. For my tastes nothing beats a hand made stem made from high quality German Ebonite. I finally leaned something about stem design which is a big deal if you are a clencher like myself.

I have been buying American artisan pipes since 2012 when I bought my first Rad Davis pipe. When I find an artisan I really love, I go balls to the wall. I recently have been commissioning pipes with Jack Howell. I will own 12 of his pipes when the next one hits in a day or 2 from now. and plan on getting more. I didn't have this many commissions even from Rad. In fact I haven't bought a pipe from Jack that wasn't a commission. I cleaned out a bunch of pipes to make room for all my new pipes I plan on getting. I moved out around 40 pipes in the first culling and another 20 or so in the second. My plan is to have 49 American artisan made pipes with my Rubio and Dunhill. I have 2 cabinets, one is my Savinelli Burl wood that holds 36 pipes and my other cabinet that holds 15 pipes. Neither of my group 6 pipes fit in either cabinet so they have a round 6 pipe holder for their home. So the plan is in effect and I will see how far I get to my goal.

Cappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Louisiana

Smooth bent brandy or apple.

Reactions: Chasing Embers