SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 23, 2023
My Boswell sitter pipe. It's the only really good briar I have. It's medium sized and smokes great, much better than my cobs (I always have trouble with those, but they're great for learning or experimenting due to their low cost). The rest of my briars are giant estates I bought on a whim or grabows I inherited from my grandfather.

The tobacco blend would probably be a tie between Boswell's best or amphora burley. They're the only two blends I've been able to get any flavors other than ashtray or hot air.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Variety is central to the activity. If I found myself in some dismal situation where that wasn't possible, I'd make do with whatever I could, or I'd cease pipe smoking.

I've taken a few trips with all cobs, or a few briars, and two or three blends, and that was fine, as a temporary thing.

I'm not sure why this thread reoccurs forever. I think it is an attempt to reach some fundamental central vision of smoking that probably doesn't exist.

My dad only smoked one pipe at a time until it nearly burnt out before he got a new one, and he smoked only Granger in the foil pouch, except for a gift tub once or twice, which he transferred into used foil pouches. So that was his answer to this question. I'm not sure what brand of pipe he usually bought -- nearly always briars, probably modestly priced.

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
Variety is central to the activity. If I found myself in some dismal situation where that wasn't possible, I'd make do with whatever I could, or I'd cease pipe smoking.

I've taken a few trips with all cobs, or a few briars, and two or three blends, and that was fine, as a temporary thing.

I'm not sure why this thread reoccurs forever. I think it is an attempt to reach some fundamental central vision of smoking that probably doesn't exist.

My dad only smoked one pipe at a time until it nearly burnt out before he got a new one, and he smoked only Granger in the foil pouch, except for a gift tub once or twice, which he transferred into used foil pouches. So that was his answer to this question. I'm not sure what brand of pipe he usually bought -- nearly always briars, probably modestly priced.
Searches take time, especially with such a broad question. Maybe he is a newbie and so that is why I am happy to answer the question.

Reactions: Cyxelsid

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Asking what one tobacco you could limit yourself to for the rest of your life changes the question from what you most love to what you're least likely to get sick of. Which is a different question, and in my case I don't know the answer.

As for one pipe -- well, many of my pipes are gifts with great relational significance, so I'd choose the pipe I'm most tied to on that level, rather than choose on the merits of the pipe.

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Well, I asked the question becuase I like starting conversations, and it is a simple starter. And because I find it a more interesting question than "What is your favorite pipe or tobacco?" It gives me ideas on what I should try, since I am a newbie.

And I certainly enjoy all the responses!

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
Wasn't this just covered in another thread? Only one pipe, no rotation, no resting. I would have to choose a meerschaum. puffy
I have been just recently bought a meerschaum pipe and in my opinion they are definitely underrated. Flavor of the leaf is great. They are easy to care fore and you see a beautiful color change in the meerschaum as you smoke it. it. A wonderful pipe to get into. And relatively affordable. You just need to choose the store who sells quality meerschaum.