PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Nuances of wet leather triggers olfactory memories for me…. 7 years old, standing in center field, big lights in my eyes, praying, “dear Lord, please don’t let the ball get hit towards me,” and chewing on the straps and leather strings holding my glove together. That’s all I remember about baseball, long and boring, and chewing wet leather in the outfield. I still don’t care much about baseball these days. puffy
Baseball? At least you had a leather glove to chew on. You lucky bastard. :LOL:
Try playing cricket for an entire day. As a 7yo, stuck out on the boundary, a ball coming my way occasionally would have at least been a welcome distraction.

Despite that experience of sheer boredom and sunburn, it did not spoil my love for the great game of cricket, which is best appreciated from the comfort of ones home with a beer in one hand and a pipe in the other.

Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun. And cricket players. :eek:

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I like boxed wine…..lol!
The boxed wine bladder was invented by an Aussie.
4 litres of crap that'll get you nicely smashed for bugger all cost.

Aussie wine producers often have surplus that's too good for a Chateau Carboard so they started putting the good stuff in a 'premium' 2 litre box.

Most wine connoisseurs would not be seen dead drinking boxed wine.
My brother holds wine appreciation courses [yes, he's a wanker]
Once a week he'd get together with his posh mates who would all bring a bottle of expensive wine each where my brother would blind taste.
He would pick the variety and the region every time.

To make a point I brought along a 2litre box of Chablis. His mates laughed. I bet each one $10 that my brother would not identify it as a Chateau Carboard.
He picked the variety and the region saying that although it was young it was of reasonable quality and "not a bad drop".

Shoulda seen the look on his face when I revealed that it came from a box. :LOL:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I think that's why I like Carter Hall. I don't have time for nuances in my smoke. Just one flavor is fine with me.
Ok, I know many make fun of blends like CH but I keep it around for certain times / conditions. Last night I had it in a meer after a bowl of something more complex in a briar. I actually first got fig, then chocolate, then raisin in the nuances. Then just a lot of general tobacco taste, and then near the end a bit more of the original flavors but "deeper" and more robust. It was a pleasant smoke. But I don't start with it. When I was drinking nice wines I'd always start with the best / better ones first so my palate got the best opportunity to enjoy it.

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
I have a sophisticated sense of smell, people often ask me how I can smell things they don't smell... but when it comes to taste... I don't really find all those nuances people say.
Quite the same happens to me with wines, I really have to smell to appreciate it, but in my mouth I can't differentiate so much anymore, except for extreme cases (terrible wine or excepcionally great wine).

Pipe tobaccos in my mouth, unfortunately, taste quite similar. The difference comes when I smell the tobacco when I pack my pipe or later when I smell the smoke or do a soft french inhale. Then I really appreciate the nuances.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I say to all those Wanna Keep My Pipe Lit Smokers, to barely light it next time, and sip very small sips and slowly for only a minute or two, and then let the pipe go out and cool down and repeat, and see what you experience... :)

P.S. Fire IMHO destroys flavor, and I believe one of the arts to pipe smoking is barely lighting it. :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I say to all those Wanna Keep My Pipe Lit Smokers, to barely light it next time, and sip very small sips and slowly for only a minute or two, and then let the pipe go out and cool down and repeat, and see what you experience...
Packing lighter allows for more oxygen to aid the ember and causes less effort in keeping it lit.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
In this video interview on Former, when I saw Former lighting his pipe, and it goes out several times and he’s relighting it over, I’m like OK, this is Former, and he’s lighting it over. :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In this video interview on Former, when I saw Former lighting his pipe, and it goes out several times and he’s relighting it over, I’m like OK, this is Former, and he’s lighting it over. :)

Being good at carving one and smoking one are two different things, as are the opposite.