PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I can sense the variations of flavors in types of leaf and different blends, but naming them is difficult, and I don't really have the motivation to want to analyze it to that degree.

When reviews use terms like fig, raisin, pepper, etc, I kind of get the reference but to me these are loose approximations chosen for lack of any better descriptors, because I don't think there are really any specific terms to identify the combination of smell and taste derived from smoke...imo.

And as for the never ending debate on here regarding flavor vs nicotine, I'm in it for both...and why anyone would consider these to be mutually exclusive motivations I've never understood. If it was only for one or the other it wouldn't be worth the time, money, bother and tediousness of it all for me...but for both together it's absolutely worth it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can sense the variations of flavors in types of leaf and different blends, but naming them is difficult, and I don't really have the motivation to want to analyze it to that degree.

When reviews use terms like fig, raisin, pepper, etc, I kind of get the reference but to me these are loose approximations chosen for lack of any better descriptors, because I don't think there are really any specific terms to identify the combination of smell and taste derived from smoke...imo.

And as for the never ending debate on here regarding flavor vs nicotine, I'm in it for both...and why anyone would consider these to be mutually exclusive motivations I've never understood. If it was only for one or the other it wouldn't be worth the time, money, bother and tediousness of it all for me...but for both together it's absolutely worth it.
yes if they got rid of either flavor or nic it would suddenly not be something I do. No flavor I'd stick with snus which is a better and easier delivery system. No nic and I'd probably just get fat again getting my flavor fix from food.
And you described those review terms perfectly. Or as people sometimes say in their reviews, hints of figs and raisins, and bready.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
No flavor I'd stick with snus which is a better and easier delivery system.
Exactly...for me I would stick with cigars and chew if all I wanted was the nicotine...pipes would be too much bother. Cigars provide the flavor too of course, but at a much higher price...and for me still aren't as enjoyable as pipe tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
say that they don't pay attention to flavors or nuances in a blend
Pretty sure I said I like the flavor, I just don't split that flavor apart to try to figure out what percentage of what is in a blend.

- "I just enjoy the overall flavor"

are just in it because they smoke, or want nicotine
I am.

And how a pipe is just a tool, nothing more
Do you gush about a fork you are using to eat with?

Then in another thread they will talk about how they have a specific artisan pipe dedicated to a particular blend that is hard to get, but no worries because they stocked up on it.
None of my tobacco was hard to get and I use blend specific pipes to prevent cross flavoring. Would you want your steak to taste like banana ice cream? If you're buddies with an artisan, they'll often gift you pipes when they try something new to get your opinion.

Why not just buy a dozen tubs of the cheapest tobacco you can find and use a cob for everything
Nome of my tobacco was over $5/ounce and I've boycotted Missouri Meerschaum because of their business decisions.

What really gets me is the finger wagging/ head shaking tone that seems to come along with it at the expense of a new member or beginning smoker who is getting excited about pipe smoking.
With every opinion I post about I start with some do, some don't. When was the last time you made a video about a technique to show it in practice instead of just trying to describe it?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Exactly...for me I would stick with cigars and chew if all I wanted was the nicotine...pipes would be too much bother. Cigars provide the flavor too of course, but at a much higher price...and for me still aren't as enjoyable as pipe tobacco.
absolutely. Though I almost never smoke cigars. They're just too expensive for something that I will enjoy no more then I would a good pipe. There are moments though where they hit the spot. Though the thing I get hung up on with cigars is once I start one I feel like I have to finish it. Doesn't matter what is happening. If for instance I go out for a pipe and it starts dumping buckets of rain, dumping the pipe and going back inside is just a disappointment not a horrible waste.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Nome of my tobacco was over $5/ounce and I've boycotted Missouri Meerschaum because of their business decisions.
Bulk is certainly the best way to go. O.k. so what business decisions are these? Of course you don't have to answer this but I am just curious what could get someone to boycott them, as versus just not buying their product.

Aug 1, 2012
Ah, the standard post where the OP is trying to share a revelation and then gets shat on for the first page or two.

I love smoking for the flavor. I also spend time enjoying whiskeys, craft beer and artisan coffee. There, I said it. I can drink shit coffee to get me through. I can drink a *?* bud light when with my friends. I even *gasp* enjoy an occasional bowl of Captain Black. Funny enough, I recently bought a set of Glenlivet Spectra and had a 10 minute conversation with the owner of the store about how dumb I was for enjoying whiskey that was too expensive when I could get Canadian Club for less than $20 per liter.

The ones who are practicing reverse snobbery here can get over themselves. Some of us like picking out flavors. Oh no. What a terrible thing to do.

To the OP. Keep enjoying what you like. There will always be the ones who say "I don't care about that, and if you do you're ****"...**** em.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Man a lot of stuff going on. In the beginning to present, I read the description and reviews several times over several bowls of a new tobacco. For me the intricate wording can spark a word to connect with your senses. Some think some English blends smell and taste soapy. Let's say you see the word incense, you may start to be more open to it versus giving up on soap tasting tobacco. I tried one that did taste soapy, I researched why, then went back open-minded. The experience was beautiful to the point I craved that smell and taste. It's not brainwashing just a word to something new and foreign. There are a lot of things I don't get from the reviews but 1 or 2 that you sense personally helps refine you experience.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Nuances of wet leather triggers olfactory memories for me…. 7 years old, standing in center field, big lights in my eyes, praying, “dear Lord, please don’t let the ball get hit towards me,” and chewing on the straps and leather strings holding my glove together. That’s all I remember about baseball, long and boring, and chewing wet leather in the outfield. I still don’t care much about baseball these days. puffy

Oh, wow! I have the same exact memories! Except I was so bad that I was relegated to left field. I love and loved baseball, but was a scaredy cat of the ball :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Bulk is certainly the best way to go. O.k. so what business decisions are these? Of course you don't have to answer this but I am just curious what could get someone to boycott them, as versus just not buying their product.
My guess would be what I've heard regarding their tacit approval of Mary Jane. I could be completely wrong though...

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Pretty sure I said I like the flavor, I just don't split that flavor apart to try to figure out what percentage of what is in a blend.

- "I just enjoy the overall flavor"

I am.

Do you gush about a fork you are using to eat with?

None of my tobacco was hard to get and I use blend specific pipes to prevent cross flavoring. Would you want your steak to taste like banana ice cream? If you're buddies with an artisan, they'll often gift you pipes when they try something new to get your opinion.

With every opinion I post about I start with some do, some don't. When was the last time you made a video about a technique to show it in practice instead of just trying to describe it?
No offense intended. I didn't intend my post to seem like it was calling out anyone in particular. @chasingembers, your a swell guy and a great contributor to the forum. :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It was 100%, pure , animal, fear for me. I was scared of getting hit. Batting was worse :)

I eventually got over it
We used to have rock fights and BB gun fights but a baseball scared me. The logic made no sense.?‍♂️ Played Soccer in high school and rugby in college and now couldn't imagine a baseball hurting that bad.