PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Don’t worry so much about it! Just keep trying blends and sipping them slowly. The refined palette will eventually come.

I say this as a dude who has been smoking pipes for almost 3 years. I have 30+ lbs of tobacco cellared and probably a couple grand in pipes. And you know what? Tonight was the first time I could fully and distinctly pick out the differences between Cult Blood Red Moon and Gawith Hoggarth Cherry Cream Flake.

Before, they were both just cherry. Tonight, I could taste the delicate cream soda flavor in the GH flake, and the rich tootsie roll-esque chocolate notes in Blood Red Moon.

Seriously, I’ve been smoking pipes for 3 years. The point is - if you don’t get all the crazy subtle flavors that the reviews talk about, you’re not alone. A lot of people don’t.

It’s also worth noting that you don’t have to taste every subtlety to enjoy the hell out of a blend. Keep trying new ones to challenge your taste buds, and keep returning to old ones with your broadened perspective. Your efforts will eventually be rewarded! Hopefully it won’t take 3 years like it did for me.

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
That's what those tobacco reviews from JimInks are for.

Smoke a bowl... Read the review...
Then say to yourself, "ok ok I can kinda taste what he's talking about, I think so at least..."

Otherwise, I'm with y'all. Especially with aromatics that have fruity casings.
More mouth feel than anything else

It cracks me up. When someone says that they smoke for the nicotine, the thread will go for 12 pages full of members saying, “I only smoke for taste, because I’m not in it for the nicotine.” Then when there’s a thread like this, guys are like, “don’t worry, I can’t taste anything anyways.”
Which is it? Do you smoke for taste, or do you smoke regardless of taste?
Same guys who tell me there is absolutely no aroma of warmed briar or the wretched taste of corn cob, then post that they can’t taste the tobaccos. Which is it?

It took me a few years, but it was a coffee guy on here who made some suggestions to help me pull the subtle aromas out of the smoke.
But no, I don’t smoke every bowl, focusing on all of the subtle tastes from start to finish. I have a pipe in my clench pretty much all day, so 99% of the time it’s just a flavor in my mouth while I do things throughout my day. But, I can set down and focus and pull hay, stewed fruit, licorice, a touch of apple, or wet leather. Or whatever.
If Virginia #1 is just another tobacco like FVF or Capstan, why even buy different blends or brands? Why even chase after the licorice cased Esotericas?

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
It cracks me up. When someone says that they smoke for the nicotine, the thread will go for 12 pages full of members saying, “I only smoke for taste, because I’m not in it for the nicotine.” Then when there’s a thread like this, guys are like, “don’t worry, I can’t taste anything anyways.”
Same guys who tell me there is absolutely no aroma of warmed briar or the wretched taste of corn cob, then post that they can’t taste the tobaccos. Which is it?

It took me a few years, but it was a coffee guy on here who made some suggestions to help me pull the subtle aromas out of the smoke.
But no, I don’t smoke every bowl, focusing on all of the subtle tastes from start to finish. I have a pipe in my clench pretty much all day, so 99% of the time it’s just a flavor in my mouth while I do things throughout my day. But, I can set down and focus and pull hay, stewed fruit, licorice, a touch of apple, or wet leather. Or whatever.
If Virginia #1 is just another tobacco like FVF or Capstan, why even buy different blends or brands? Why even chase after the licorice cased Esotericas?

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Recently I had the opportunity to talk to a head vintner at a winery. He told me he can't help but chuckle at the analysts trying to reverse engineer his wines, they're missing the point. And he feels bad for those who stop in to check off another item on their list, they never knew there was a point. Well then, what is the point? To make the wine compliment life.

What I got out of that conversation was don't get so caught up in what you're smoking that you forget to enjoy it.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
To each his own, but I also think it is funny when the same poster in one thread will say that they don't pay attention to flavors or nuances in a blend and tout how they are just in it because they smoke, or want nicotine. And how a pipe is just a tool, nothing more.

Then in another thread they will talk about how they have a specific artisan pipe dedicated to a particular blend that is hard to get, but no worries because they stocked up on it.

Why not just buy a dozen tubs of the cheapest tobacco you can find and use a cob for everything?

What really gets me is the finger wagging/ head shaking tone that seems to come along with it at the expense of a new member or beginning smoker who is getting excited about pipe smoking.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Don’t worry so much about it! Just keep trying blends and sipping them slowly. The refined palette will eventually come.

I say this as a dude who has been smoking pipes for almost 3 years. I have 30+ lbs of tobacco cellared and probably a couple grand in pipes. And you know what? Tonight was the first time I could fully and distinctly pick out the differences between Cult Blood Red Moon and Gawith Hoggarth Cherry Cream Flake.

Before, they were both just cherry. Tonight, I could taste the delicate cream soda flavor in the GH flake, and the rich tootsie roll-esque chocolate notes in Blood Red Moon.

Seriously, I’ve been smoking pipes for 3 years. The point is - if you don’t get all the crazy subtle flavors that the reviews talk about, you’re not alone. A lot of people don’t.

It’s also worth noting that you don’t have to taste every subtlety to enjoy the hell out of a blend. Keep trying new ones to challenge your taste buds, and keep returning to old ones with your broadened perspective. Your efforts will eventually be rewarded! Hopefully it won’t take 3 years like it did for me.

I too love it when a blend starts to click and you can pick out different flavors coming in and out. It's really cool when it comes together like that.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

Have you eaten much wet leather? ??

• Haha
Reactions: PipeIT

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I love how with such a subjective hobby so many people throw there opinions out there like it’s fact lol. They are all just suggestions but here unlike like other areas in life others opinions are sought after and all of us tend to wag a finger when someone else’s opinions differ. It creates a lot of friendly banter and borderline rivalry that keeps it fun to read, I truly enjoy that.

We are all walking complexities. By nature, we want to compartmentalize these things and have opinions on them all, even if they conflict.
I smoke for nicotine and flavor. I smoke all day sometimes just a thing while I do other things. Sometimes I like to pull out flavors and nuances. Some pipes get beaten on old stumps, and tossed into the toolbox and some are artisan works of art wrapped in swaddling to be pulled out occasionally. Sometimes I will even just smoke a cigar. You don’t have to join a team and root for one over another.

But, if you can’t taste the subtle nuances of leather, oak, or the subtle orientals. Just smoke for now. But, there’s nothing wrong with trying. Work on pulling specific flavors, but don’t fret over it. It’ll come. Even a barbaric boxed wine drinker will occasionally exclaim a hoot when they taste pineapple notes in a chardenay or earthy chocolate notes in a red.

A forum member here suggested smoking two pipes loaded with different tobaccos, to help pulls differences out. And, it works. Give it a whirl. Or, just smoke and enjoy whatever reason you enjoy it for. But, I’ll wager no one here just sticks to just one aspect. Even the most connoisseur among us will sometimes smoke and not pay any attention to flavors. Be patient, and just enjoy yourself.