108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I love how with such a subjective hobby so many people throw there opinions out there like it’s fact lol. They are all just suggestions but here unlike like other areas in life others opinions are sought after and all of us tend to wag a finger when someone else’s opinions differ. It creates a lot of friendly banter and borderline rivalry that keeps it fun to read, I truly enjoy that.
Reminds me of the honing forum where the masters pontificate on how to achieve the best edge for shaving using 1000 dollar stones. Then you find out they have a beard…..???

Only in his off hours and if you pay him extra ??
Nuances of wet leather triggers olfactory memories for me…. 7 years old, standing in center field, big lights in my eyes, praying, “dear Lord, please don’t let the ball get hit towards me,” and chewing on the straps and leather strings holding my glove together. That’s all I remember about baseball, long and boring, and chewing wet leather in the outfield. I still don’t care much about baseball these days. puffy

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Nuances of wet leather triggers olfactory memories for me…. 7 years old, standing in center field, big lights in my eyes, praying, “dear Lord, please don’t let the ball get hit towards me,” and chewing on the straps and leather strings holding my glove together. That’s all I remember about baseball, long and boring, and chewing wet leather in the outfield. I still don’t care much about baseball these days. puffy
Odd your coach put you at center.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
And then the batter hits a fast line drive at you that bounces off the ground just in front of you and hits you in the cup. Thanks Lord.. that's just what I needed.
Wew.. childhood flashback there.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I am confused on post, assuming the title is the question. I actually like the smell before the taste, when good together I buy more. Retro or tiny nasal inhales on a sipping pipe is glorious. Taste I think is harder to get, I have a very hard time. Some aro bombs and English is where I notice a lot of flavor.

I am confused on post, assuming the title is the question. I actually like the smell before the taste, when good together I buy more. Retro or tiny nasal inhales on a sipping pipe is glorious. Taste I think is harder to get, I have a very hard time. Some aro bombs and English is where I notice a lot of flavor.
Smell and taste is linked. If you pinch your nose and taste a lemon and lime, you won’t be able to taste the difference without the smell. So smell is crucial to tasting also.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I don’t have a sweet tooth, but like candy and gum. I think I ruined my palate. My taste sensitivity to tobacco, as well as wine and others alcohol, is weak. When I read reviews on tobacco like Plum Pudding tasting woody, earthy, vegetative, floral, and lightly buttery sweet with a touch of toast, I’m like, huh? I can discern the gist, but that’s about it. I still enjoy whatever it is that I’m tasting, and the overall experience, but I’ve never tasted toast in any tobacco that I’ve smoked ?. Kudos to those who can
:cheers:

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I dive deep into blends and zone in on all the various flavours. I think it adds to the enjoyment by noticing all the aspects that a particular blend or leaf has to offer. It becomes easier and requires less focusing power the more you do it.

Alot of it has to do with just having the vocabulary to describe flavours. It's hard to pick apart something if you don't have the words to describe what each of those notes in the taste are.

....Okay this is starting to sound like work haha...the important thing is that you're having fun, or at least not having a bad time

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
These threads always predictably play out the same way. The hobby vs. habit sort of thing. The corksniffers fail to understand those that smoke for "simple" reasons, trying to strategically articulate that they are doing it wrong. The knuckle-dragging, mouth breathing, simpletons write off all the corksniffing marketing-wrap foofery as nonsensical bullshit. The interesting thing, and I think we could be a great example to the rest of humanity - we still realize we all love the pipe and move on with our day. It kinda reminds me of being in the Army, more than a little.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
As long as I can keep a tobacco lit without too much trouble, and it doesn't burn my mouth, I usually enjoy it. There has only been a few leafs where the flavor itself was offensive. I like pipe smoking because of the action more then anything. It's something to keep my mouth and hands busy (here come the jokes) as when sitting down I usually am compelled to eat or drink something. Pipe smoking keeps me from drinking too much or eating too much when relaxing. And who doesn't love the feel of a pipe in hand?

Sep 20, 2019
These threads always predictably play out the same way. The hobby vs. habit sort of thing. The corksniffers fail to understand those that smoke for "simple" reasons, trying to strategically articulate that they are doing it wrong. The knuckle-dragging, mouth breathing, simpletons write off all the corksniffing marketing-wrap foofery as nonsensical bullshit. The interesting thing, and I think we could be a great example to the rest of humanity - we still realize we all love the pipe and move on with our day. It kinda reminds me of being in the Army, more than a little.
Last night I popped a 10yo tin of McClelland Blackwoods and let me tell you: The tones of earthy vegetation and Moraccan stankyshnozzle had me swooning.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
this discussion perfectly illustrates the point that people don't really know why they do things. Their rational is not the reason they do something. And most likely there are a whole host of reasons people do the particular and specific things they do. For example people might make fun of the cork sniffers who want to refine their relationship with their senses, while ignoring that biologically speaking refined senses can be the difference between life or death. In the wild being able to distinguish subtle and somewhat hidden nuances might be the difference between starving or the difference between poisoning your whole tribe. We don't need to know that for it to work, we just need the drive or instinct to pull a JimInks for it to work.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
this discussion perfectly illustrates the point that people don't really know why they do things. Their rational is not the reason they do something. And most likely there are a whole host of reasons people do the particular and specific things they do. For example people might make fun of the cork sniffers who want to refine their relationship with their senses, while ignoring that biologically speaking refined senses can be the difference between life or death. In the wild being able to distinguish subtle and somewhat hidden nuances might be the difference between starving or the difference between poisoning your whole tribe. We don't need to know that for it to work, we just need the drive or instinct to pull a JimInks for it to work.
You’re overthinking…..lol??