PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Has he started building a cellar yet?

No, it'd have to be updated first making the Orcs and Goblins the good guys.
if you think about it they kind of are the good guys. Basically if all the other made up races didn't abandon their own when they get ugly there'd be no orc problems. Basically what I am saying is elves look all cool and stuff but they're kind of snobs.
Yes but.......have you seen the Yellow Sign?:)
Of course not. I mean why would I ever do something like that.....

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I love Lovecraft. He is my favorite writer. His works have this unique ambience I have not found elsewhere.

Good to see he is getting popular. Too bad he never got much fame during his lifetime...

Reactions: ofafeather
I love Lovecraft. He is my favorite writer. His works have this unique ambience I have not found elsewhere.

Good to see he is getting popular. Too bad he never got much fame during his lifetime...
You might like the works of Haruki Murakami, and I especially love his short stories and The Wind Up Bird Chronicles. They all don't follow a hierarchy of demons, but the novels all have a melancholy feel with super natural stuff just threaded through the stories, and everyone ok with this... as if it were perfectly natural to read someone's mind or someone call themselves a psychic detective.

Read 1984 but I think that’s it. That was a great read.
The Wing Up Bird Chroncs is his best novel, IMO. It tickles all the right places and gives just enough of everything to keep you enthralled till the end. His short stories are his masterpieces though. He can do in just a few pages what most novelists can't do in 500. Plus, when he is funny, he is hilarious. When he is creepy, your skin will crawl. I've started reading a bunch of Japanese authors now, and it is amazing how that style is just not found in English speaking writers.

• Love

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
The Wing Up Bird Chroncs is his best novel, IMO. It tickles all the right places and gives just enough of everything to keep you enthralled till the end. His short stories are his masterpieces though. He can do in just a few pages what most novelists can't do in 500. Plus, when he is funny, he is hilarious. When he is creepy, your skin will crawl. I've started reading a bunch of Japanese authors now, and it is amazing how that style is just not found in English speaking writers.
Now I need to start making a list. ??

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Mostly by older readers. In today's PC culture many consider him a villain.
He is getting more popular among younger people too. I'm 24 myself.

In the past three years there has been two video games based directly on his works: Call of Cthulhu and The Sinking City. I played through both twice and they managed to catch the atmosphere well.

There is also active discussion on Reddit (shudder), Cthulhu is popular figure in pop culture, Metallica has made songs about it etc. I think many people recognize Cthulhu even though they have never read Lovecraft.

There is also the popular RPG tabletop game with new versions and also some kind of card game.

Angry cry babies are not representative of all young people (or even most) even though they are often the loudest. Many reasonable people should be able look past authors views and realize that times were different then.

I see Cthulhu stuff everywhere, especially online. To be honest, I had never heard of any of his stuff till I got to this forum. But, I cannot imagine why in the world Lovecraft would be non-PC, when there is so much more raunchy stuff on the top ten series lists now. Hell, Lovecraft Country just took away a ton of awards on the recent series.

Hell, if you want non-PC stuff that is in your face over the top NOT PC, just look at Game of Thrones or even Tiger King. And, as far as books and authors, Lovecraft is a RainbowBrite Hello Kitty PC coddler in comparison to stuff in the new release sections. I'm not even sure why you'd think this.

But, if you like antiquated settings, poorly written plot lines, and horrible dialog, and if imaginary squid monsters is your idea of blood curdling horror... have at it. But, I do think that everyone should read at least a little Lovecraft, if not just to stay culturally literate in how horror got its origins.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Now I need to start making a list. ??
My favorite author in the genre is Algernon Blackwood. Among my favorite short stories of his are:

The Willows
The Wendigo
The Wolves of God
The Wood of the Dead
The Glamour of the Snow

His stories are more mild on the terror aspect but he sets the scene very well and lets your mind provide the imagery.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Where’s that list feature...guess I’ll just bookmark the thread and add it to my list of bookmarks ?
If you like comics I highly recommend Hellboy. It has gods, witches, legends and all kinds of weird stuff going on. Lots of mythological references.

Ogdru Jahad were clearly inspired by Lovecraft.

I have read all Hellboy stories twice so far and they are amazing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@anotherbob: Are you saying Orc Lives Matter?
Not what you're saying but it reminds me of one of the dumbest writing tropes. The allegory for racism in a fantasy setting. Like mutants in comic books. If gay people could kill you with their laser eyes homophobia would make sense.
Mostly by older readers. In today's PC culture many consider him a villain.
I don't think he's really considered a villain as much as problematic. You know you have to mention his problems you know kind of like that one uncle. Oh which happened during his lifetime even with his friends. The dude had problems and also was a really good writer and those two things overlap with him. The difference is now we can read so much about people and it's harder to seperate the work from the man. But I haven't seen a lot of he's a villain as much as he had some problems and fucked up views.

Status
Not open for further replies.