PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Yeah, that kind of thing is all over the place with artists of various disciplines. It can be difficult to unsee things once you’ve seen them about people which may lead to challenges enjoying their work.
I thought about starting a thread called “Fallen Heroes” with the idea that there are 2 kinds - those heroes that have passed on and those that have slipped from out good opinion in one way or another. Many times the former is easier to accept than the latter. And in this case I use the term “hero” to represent all types of people across disciplines.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah, that kind of thing is all over the place with artists of various disciplines. It can be difficult to unsee things once you’ve seen them about people which may lead to challenges enjoying their work.
Oh my god there are artists that when you find something out about it can really change how you see aspects of their art. It can be good, bad, or just different. A gross example is Apt Pupil and it's ending. Like oh it's made by a pervert and now I can see that's not story telling it's gaslighting. And even if you can still get into the movie you're going to feel gross about certain aspects of it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I thought about starting a thread called “Fallen Heroes” with the idea that there are 2 kinds - those heroes that have passed on and those that have slipped from out good opinion in one way or another. Many times the former is easier to accept than the latter. And in this case I use the term “hero” to represent all types of people across disciplines.
I feel lucky I got to meet a few of my heros. And most of them turned out nicer then I thought they would be. Except one who literally turned out to be a Nazi I mean as in literally.

Reactions: ofafeather

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
if you think about it they kind of are the good guys.
Thanks for proving my point.

Basically if all the other made up races didn't abandon their own when they get ugly there'd be no orc problems.
The allegory for racism in a fantasy setting.
It seems no one can discuss anything these days without someone playing the race card...and they think they are being morally correct but in reality they are just poisoning everything.

Projecting racism onto Tolkien is pure BS. I could write an essay explaining why, but I've neither the time nor the motivation. And people will believe what they want anyway.

We live in a time when racism is being projected on, and injected into, just about everything...and it's become so tedious and tiresome. Often it is those doing this who are the actual racists...other times it is just the result of the relentless media conditioning being used as a divide and conquer strategy.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But I haven't seen a lot of he's a villain as much as he had some problems and fucked up views.
In today's society, that's enough to get branded a villain. Look at the kind of negative attention smokers get. You'd think they were the Antichrist.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In today's society, that's enough to get branded a villain. Look at the kind of negative attention smokers get. You'd think they were the Antichrist.
I find that totally exaggerated. I just find people getting to hear or read what people have been thinking for a long time. There are all these "product of their time" explinations that don't hold much water because people said the same things about the person back in their day. Just not as easily. That's what I think at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.