PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
You might be surprised. My boy will be seven this year and is fascinated with all things cephalopod.
Has he started building a cellar yet?

I would move up to The Hobbit next. Not only is it a great story but it is totally 'woke' since you have Vertically Challenged Persons or Dwarfs as well as Fairies and Hobbits so that covers the whole LGBT spectrum. It involves countries without borders and an evil dragon. Totally 21st century.rotf
No, it'd have to be updated first making the Orcs and Goblins the good guys.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
We put dry ice and water in soda bottles, corked them, threw them, and ran like hell! rotf

Oh yeah man we called them “Dairy Queen Bombs” because the local DQ used to sell dry ice. The old 3-liter bottles were best, we found, with just a splash of water at the bottom and you needed to crush the dry ice into shards. A few years later though we discovered tannerite and that brought a whole new level of destruction.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Oh yeah man we called them “Dairy Queen Bombs” because the local DQ used to sell dry ice. The old 3-liter bottles were best, we found, with just a splash of water at the bottom and you needed to crush the dry ice into shards. A few years later though we discovered tannerite and that brought a whole new level of destruction.

We used to make Velveeta Cheese Bombs.

Basically you'd dip an M-80 into a bowl of warm Velveeta Cheese time and again, like dipping a wick in wax to make a candle, slowly building up the wad of cheese stuck to the M-80. After a while, you could get it to about the size of a softball, being careful to leave the fuse exposed all the way to where it met the body. Make 5-10 of these, unknowingly pissing off all of our mothers with the constant refrigerator raids, light the fuse, and then throw them at whatever you wanted. They'd stick to nearly anything they'd hit, go off, and blow cheese all over the place. Coincidentally, this was also how I learned what a metal bowl would do to a microwave when trying to warm up some cheese for an adventure.

I can remember it being like 10 years removed from this childhood activity, likely under the influence of some thought-provoking substance, when I realized how dangerous it was, comparatively speaking, that we used to lob them over hedgerows onto the windshields of passing cars and then run into the woods giggling.

Man, the excitement that kids will miss out on these days is disappointing...

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I didn't even mention the blasting caps or lining shotgun shells up on a fence to make them go off by shooting at them with a pellet gun.

Remember those little snap-pop things that you could throw at the ground and they'd let off a less-than-exciting pop? We used to be able to get them in a pack of a dozen boxes, each box having like 100 of them inside of it, packed sporadically within in the obligatory sawdust.

In a stroke of genius, I once thought that if I unwrapped all of the little tissue paper enclosed charges and dumped their contents into a coffee filter, I'd be able to make a giant one. I was right.

In my ignorance, however, I imagined the outcome being a cacophonous series of pops, like throwing a handful of them at the ground at once. That wasn't even close to what happened.

I dumped enough of these things into the coffee filter that I could barely twist the top to hold all of the little crystals inside of it. I had to use a rubber band to secure the twist so it wouldn't open back up on its own. Standing on our front porch that created quite the echo chamber, I slammed this baseball-sized creation at the concrete floor of the porch only to spend the next 5-10 minutes in genuine internal conflict over whether or not I'd just stolen my own ability to ever hear again. Neighbors came running out into the street and the police showed up a few minutes later. It was quite the scene.

I've spent the majority of my life shooting heavily charged shotguns at things, high powered rifles at things, spent some time in the Army, etc. I can't recall a single event that resulted in a louder noise in my entire life. I honestly thought I'd made myself deaf.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
In a stroke of genius, I once thought that if I unwrapped all of the little tissue paper enclosed charges and dumped their contents into a coffee filter, I'd be able to make a giant one. I was right.
Wow! I did something similar but with a tissue. I was lucky that it went off while I was filling it but before I had filled it too much! Did it in the bathroom. Can’t imagine what it would have been like if I had it as full as planned! It’s amazing how lucky I was in childhood. How many times could I have been a statistic!

Any suggestions on where to start reading Lovecraft at the adult level? Haven’t read any of his stuff.
They would all make just as much sense if you started reading any of them right in the middle. His whole idea is to not tell the whole story, but just to give you nibbles in each story that lets your imagination run wild. It's not one coherent story, each is just excerpts of a sort. The horror isn't exactly what he describes, but what he doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.