PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I still remember drolling over those Peterson pipes in my late teens. I was only a student at the time and could not afford to pay that kind of money for a pipe, so I daydreamed a lot, and daydream I did. Back then I was only hoping one day will come when I was wealthy enough to afford one for myself. The problem though is I am no longer interested. Not that I only own crappy pipes, but I do not even use them. True. Over the years I have acquired quite a collection, but I never find myself reaching for the most expensive ones. I personally find them burdensome, impractical, and somewhat annoying. As a matter of fact, I have sold many on eBay, and I am planning to sell even more. My perfect pipe now is a billiard with a 19mm concave bowl and a short stem. "Issue pipes" I call them. Let me tell you one thing, if you are interested in tobacco and tobacco alone, beauty is in geometrics. I will not disclose my source, but I can buy each pipe for about $30, and I am still thinking they are too expensive. When I see you guys being so infatuated with your pipes, I cannot help thinking about those old fat geezers all geared in their riding outfits going through their midlife crisis. They all have beautiful bikes with all the rings and bells on, I will give you that. Shame they are so low on stamina though. Wearing lycra does not make you a cyclist. Riding a bike does. Sorry for the inconvenience, but it had to be said and it has been said.

IMG_20201112_233518.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I understand you are broadcasting bait over a vast surface. I will, of course, as expected, rise to it. rotf

You are using generalities to describe individuals. My pipes are simply nicotine delivery tools. But, being a bit of a woodworker and a photographer ... I can and do appreciate shape, proportion, execution whether it be pipes, statues, artwork, etc. I won't disparage those who do not share my tastes though.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Glad to hear you have found the types of pipes you like. I personally enjoy pipes for more than just the tobacco. I appreciate them as a handmade piece of someone's craft and creativity, but I also smoke my higher end pipes regularly.

I'm not sure if there is a need to poo on other people's preferences for higher end pipes though. That's like a form of reverse snobbery.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I have to say the fancier the pipe the less I am interested. I do appreciate form however. A simple, basic design exquisitely executed gets my attention. Curves have to be graceful and the pipe has to have "frontality", a term used by the late Al Baier, to describe that a sculpture most look pleasing from all sides and angles simultaneously.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have to say the fancier the pipe the less I am interested. I do appreciate form however. A simple, basic design exquisitely executed gets my attention. Curves have to be graceful and the pipe has to have "frontality", a term used by the late Al Baier, to describe that a sculpture most look pleasing from all sides and angles simultaneously.
Figure you’d like him since you appreciate crappy looking pipes. ?

Reactions: bnichols23

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014

I believe in simplicity, beauty, and balance. The problem with the avant-garde artists is their ego. By definition, a classic design cannot be improved, but you will always find them striving just to add their own twist to it. I personally could not care less what they, as individuals, have to say or bring to the table when it all comes down to Art. What I care about is the process whereby you give up yourself in favour of the cannon itself. At the end of the day, you do not need any training to be a selfish egotistic moron.

Reactions: edger
Status
Not open for further replies.