PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I don't regret any purchase of HU Tobacco I've ever made. Dan/DTM also has several stellar tobaccos that aren't available here in the USA.

The only oddball tobacco I bought is Germain's No. 7 Mixture. But it's actually a Mac Baren product (now). People who like Exotic Orange (or Orange Passion, or whatever it's called now) might like it.

Reactions: ram74

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Hello, to add to this thread, I haven't yet opened Director's Cut but already considering getting a second tin in my next HU/Estervals order, primarily to explore their Oriental blends, and to stock up on some MacBarens (ODF mainlly). I never buy two of something unless I smoke it first and know it will stick, however this forum and the universal recommendations of the blend are making me itch to stock up. Does it have any similarity to HH Acadian Perique? Is the DFK "heard" in the blend? If the answer is yes to either I'll add 2 tins, if to both then it may be 10 :)

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Hello, to add to this thread, I haven't yet opened Director's Cut but already considering getting a second tin in my next HU/Estervals order, primarily to explore their Oriental blends, and to stock up on some MacBarens (ODF mainlly). I never buy two of something unless I smoke it first and know it will stick, however this forum and the universal recommendations of the blend are making me itch to stock up. Does it have any similarity to HH Acadian Perique? Is the DFK "heard" in the blend? If the answer is yes to either I'll add 2 tins, if to both then it may be 10 :)
Why not just open the Directors Cut and try it? Those tins aren't vacuum packed, so I think you can open and close the lid without much worry. I've done so many times.

As for the DFK being heard, yes, it's noticeable -- particularly in the tin note, but also in the smoke. So good. My #1.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Why not just open the Directors Cut and try it? Those tins aren't vacuum packed, so I think you can open and close the lid without much worry. I've done so many times.

As for the DFK being heard, yes, it's noticeable -- particularly in the tin note, but also in the smoke. So good. My #1.

Thank you, from the other VaPers I've smoked it was Acadian Perique which blew me away, that's why the DFK question as in my taste it was what set it apart from other VaPers.

I smoke about 2 bowls per day, sometimes one, and 3-4 in the weekends, so 50g and even more so 100g tins last me quite a while. I have a weird compulsion of not having more than 3 tobaccos in rotation.

Don't judge, that's probably my only pipe-smoking weirdness, I bet there are a lot others around here :)

Reactions: ofafeather
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I don't believe Director's Cut resembles Acadian Perique in the least. I find the perique is more of a condiment in Director's Cut while the Virginia and DFK take the lead. If you're looking for a peppery VaPer, DC isn't going to do it. With that said, with a bit of age, it is a fabulous, rich tasting blend that blows Acadian Perique away. But that also all depends on personal taste.

I'd also recommend HU Joschi's Oriental Sunrise, Flanagan and Soraya if you are wanting to try HU Oriental blends. I don't believe any of these have Latakia.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I don't believe Director's Cut resembles Acadian Perique in the least. I find the perique is more of a condiment in Director's Cut while the Virginia and DFK take the lead. If you're looking for a peppery VaPer, DC isn't going to do it. With that said, with a bit of age, it is a fabulous, rich tasting blend that blows Acadian Perique away. But that also all depends on personal taste.

I'd also recommend HU Joschi's Oriental Sunrise, Flanagan and Soraya if you are wanting to try HU Oriental blends. I don't believe any of these have Latakia.

Thank you, that'll do me just fine. I like perique as a condiment as well as as a bit more than that - like in Bayou Morning Flake.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It’s been eight days since tracking on my package from Estervals said it left Germany “for the region of the destination.” I

I’m getting impatient for more information.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
It’s been eight days since tracking on my package from Estervals said it left Germany “for the region of the destination.” I

I’m getting impatient for more information.
with the current situation you will likely be waiting a bit/lot longer for a update.I posted a pipe from Greece to USA and it left Greece on 22/5 ,still to show in American Customs.
It is the same world wide,I have parcels currently going to England,USA and HongvKong all with no updates since about 22/5

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Quick update. My package cleared U.S. Customs on June 30 and as of July 1 was in the hands of USPS.
good news Pappy,2 of my 3 parcels to the US have updates.
1 is delivered yesterday,1 moving through the system after finally being scanned at Chicago after nearly 1 month,The other still nothing yet

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
good news Pappy,2 of my 3 parcels to the US have updates.
1 is delivered yesterday,1 moving through the system after finally being scanned at Chicago after nearly 1 month,The other still nothing yet
The NY clearing house seems to do a good job. Once in the US, mine got here pretty quickly.

Chicago may be the problem.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Those are my HU Tobacco must-haves:

Orientals/Balkans: Tuarekh, Asmara, Balkan Passion, Soraya, Oriental Sunrise
Oriental/Kentucky: Flanagan Flake
Oriental/Burley: Dockworker Flake
Latakia-forward/Lat-Bombs: Fayyum Kake (or Fayyum) - good too: Khoisaan, Zulu

If you like a lat-bomb are ordering from Estervals already: Dan Tobacco Old Ironsides
If you like a good, cheap everyday Lat/Virginia flake: Dan Tobacco Holly's Discovery Flake

I can really recommend any HU tobacco wholeheartedly for their quality and unique taste. puffy

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Thanks. I'm glad there doesn't seem to be any customs restrictions or duties.
Nope, there clearly is a hole in the Matrix that we are taking advantage of. It's a loophole that will be shut, and probably sooner than later. Either by the US or GE govt's.

I've place 3 orders and all have been very satisfactory. Just don't expect same day service, more like Pony Express kind of service.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Nope, there clearly is a hole in the Matrix that we are taking advantage of. It's a loophole that will be shut, and probably sooner than later. Either by the US or GE govt's.

I've place 3 orders and all have been very satisfactory. Just don't expect same day service, more like Pony Express kind of service.
Cool. Yeah, I’m good as long as it gets here eventually. Seems like HU is still on sale.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Ok. Just placed my order. I got 100g of each blend that I ordered except for Soraya (forgot to get 2 50g tins) , Krater Plug (200g) and Director's Cut (Got 100g tin + 250g bag). Also found some Dunhill MM BB1938 and MM 221B. Good thing HU was on sale! I saved a lot! ? Thanks for posting all of your suggestions.

10 x Alfred Dunhill My Mixture 221B Baker St. Pipe tobacco 50g Tin
10 x Alfred Dunhill My Mixture BB1938 Pipe tobacco 50g Tin
1 x HU-tobacco OWB Directors Cut Pipe tobacco 100g Tin
1 x HU-tobacco AL Asmara Pipe tobacco 100g Tin
1 x HU-tobacco AL Nyala Pipe tobacco 100g Tin
1 x HU-tobacco AL Tuarekh Pipe tobacco 100g Tin
1 x HU-tobacco AL Zulu Pipe tobacco 100g Tin
2 x HU-tobacco Krater-Plug Pipe tobacco 100g Tin
1 x HU-tobacco OWB Balkan Passion Pipe tobacco 100g Tin
1 x HU-tobacco OWB Edward G Pipe tobacco 100g Tin
1 x HU-tobacco PRF Janneman Flake Pipe tobacco 100g Tin
1 x HU-tobacco TBP Out of Africa Pipe tobacco 100g Tin