PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
So I think I am going to pull the trigger on an HU order from Estervals. I've done reading on tobaccoreviews, and came up with the list below. Trying to get a few Enlgish/balkans, a burley and an aro or two. For those of you familiar with HU -- are there any outstanding blends that I am missing out on (I prefer English blends, particularly oriental forward ones (which I guess are technically Balkans) but enjoy new tastes and have few strong dislikes. Its pricey and probably will take some time to get the shipment, so want to check if there is anything "essential" I should add. Thanks

Fayuum Kake, Directors Cut, Out of Africa, Zulu, Take Five, Makhuwa, Soraya

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
So I think I am going to pull the trigger on an HU order from Estervals. I've done reading on tobaccoreviews, and came up with the list below. Trying to get a few Enlgish/balkans, a burley and an aro or two. For those of you familiar with HU -- are there any outstanding blends that I am missing out on (I prefer English blends, particularly oriental forward ones (which I guess are technically Balkans) but enjoy new tastes and have few strong dislikes. Its pricey and probably will take some time to get the shipment, so want to check if there is anything "essential" I should add. Thanks

Fayuum Kake, Directors Cut, Out of Africa, Zulu, Take Five, Makhuwa, Soraya
Just be aware the minimum shipping charge is $40 to USA and it increments very slightly from there (e.g., 200 tins is only like $65 in shipping).

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Every English\Balkan blend I have tried from HU has been amazing, but if you want oriental forward I would order Asmara, Balkan Passion And Tuarehk. Honestly for my first esterval order, I ordered every HU English, Balkan and oriental blend. It is better to just bite the bullet and place a large order so you save on shipping.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I was asking the same questions recently. I'm building up a little fund, and will order a pile o' baccy from them to justify the shipping charge, which is pretty stout (around $45-50 USD to the West Coast, depending on the exchange rate).

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Thanks for the input. Just pulled the trigger on an almost all HU order from Estervals Got Fayyum Kake, Directors Cut (a 100g tin + 250 g bag), Take Five, Out of Africa, Zulu, Nyala, Dockworker, Also got a few tins of capstan blue and a vauen pipe (much cheaper than what's available in the US -- I have one and am a big fan of these 9mm pipes).

Now i have something to look forward to 6-10 weeks from now.

Looks like HU is on sale there right now. If it's as good as people say, it's not bad at all given the shipping.

But this is it, really. Really -- no more tobacco or pipe orders for the forseeable future.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Looks like HU is on sale there right now. If it's as good as people say, it's not bad at all given the shipping.

But this is it, really. Really -- no more tobacco or pipe orders for the forseeable future.

Must be for US-only, I got a cart ready for a while now waiting for my birthday to justify pulling the trigger but the prices are exactly as they were 2 months ago.
Also, about no more tobacco...sure, that's what I tell myself too ;)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Must be for US-only, I got a cart ready for a while now waiting for my birthday to justify pulling the trigger but the prices are exactly as they were 2 months ago.
Also, about no more tobacco...sure, that's what I tell myself too ;)

You don't see the sale prices until you create an account and log in.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Several people on this thread carrying out the rationalization self-conversation we all know all too well ("I'll hold off buying any more tobacco after this order...."). :LOL:

Reactions: ofafeather
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I still think it's US prices and discounts, I got an account and the prices are stable (for me) for at least 6 months.

In Europe we also don't get the bulk sizes either, but regardless HU is still very well-priced.

I don't know what it's like for purchasers outside the US. When I log into my account there, the items that are discounted actually show they are discounted. If I don't log in, they don't show it. For example, 50 gr tins of HU Haymaker, Dockworker and some others are less than $7 each with the discount.

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
Ordering HU from Estervals is a real “no brainer” for the US consumer. Providing you order enough to amortize the shipping cost, you will get an otherwise-unavailable tobacco at the same cost (or less) than what is available in the US with free shipping.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I don't have all the prices in front of me. A 100g tin of Directors Cut was $15 and change. A 250g bag was $37. A vauen pipe that is listed on tobaccopipes.com for $150 was $97. Just to give you a few examples.

And yeah, after 2 or so years of regular pipe smoking I am realizing the "I'm done mantra" is wishful thinking.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I placed an order with Estervals last week and the price in U.S. dollars for 100 gram tins was less than some tins I've seen on-line and seven to 10 dollars less than 100 gram tins I see in my local B&M.

Shipping isn't free from Estervals buy if you order enough tins/packages, it can make the final cost still cheaper than a B&M and you get blends that aren't available over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.