PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Well I tried my Sutliff Virginia slices today and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed, it's smooth out the rough edges and gave it a deeper flavor profile, if that makes sense! My palate is not developed enough to break down all the flavors, it's just definitely better than it was before! Mechanically it even seemed better, nice consistent burn very little relights! Will stove some LNF tomorrow! Looking forward to see how that one turns out!

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I believe Pease talks about temperature somewhere, doesn't he? In reference to people microwaving tobacco, and I think he says something about 165° being the no-no point. Don't hold me to that figure though. That's what is coming to mind.

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
Well couldn't help myself and had the stove some Sutliff Virginia slices that I picked up a few months ago that was just ho hum! The aluminum foil smells wonderful, but no real smell during the stoving process! Will report back in a couple weeks to see how it tasted! Will probably pick up some LBF and LNF to try next if this comes out good!
Looking forward to hearing how it turns out

Reactions: gamzultovah

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Smoking my first sample of luxury Navy flake that I stoved 2 weeks ago, absolutely fantastic in comparison to what it was! I'm curious on how the stoved version will age in the long term compared to the Non-stoved? May have to do an experiment, Maybe in 2 OZ increments and compare the stove with the unstove every year to see how they compare. This is fun!:sher:

Vepcoman

Lurker
Dec 20, 2022
One minor change in the your process I will suggest (from making marmalades and minced meat) is to dispense with the aluminum foil and use the top that comes with the mason jar- just don't tighten it until you take it out. I am looking for a way to come close to McClelland 5100, so any hints on that score are appreciated. I will be trying to stove some C&D red Virginia ribbon in the next few weeks.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Giving this a go now with approx 4oz of LTF that has been sitting in a jar unopened for maybe 18 month's.

Smells fantastic in the jar as it is for the short time it's been ageing, but I'm sure the stoving will be more to my tastes.

Stacked the flakes upright aswell, my jar is big enough that there is 50/50 Flake to air space.

Will see how this goes over the next two long weeks 😅

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Wondering if anybody has stoved any burley forward or straight burley blends?
Seems that it works wonders for Virginia's, as I'm now smoking some of the above LTF and it is fantastic compared to fresh ( to my own personal tastes and preferences of course ).

I can see myself smoking this at least a couple of times a week rather than once in a blue moon.

Now contemplating stoving my jar of Amphora Burley blend which doesn't get much love (from me) to see if anything drastic happens.

Unless it has something to do with the higher sugar content in va leaf, I have a feeling that burley wouldn't change much but would like to know if anybody has given it a go?

If not, well than there is only one way to find out!

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Wondering if anybody has stoved any burley forward or straight burley blends?
Seems that it works wonders for Virginia's, as I'm now smoking some of the above LTF and it is fantastic compared to fresh ( to my own personal tastes and preferences of course ).

I can see myself smoking this at least a couple of times a week rather than once in a blue moon.

Now contemplating stoving my jar of Amphora Burley blend which doesn't get much love (from me) to see if anything drastic happens.

Unless it has something to do with the higher sugar content in va leaf, I have a feeling that burley wouldn't change much but would like to know if anybody has given it a go?

If not, well than there is only one way to find out!
sutliff does it for at least one blend..

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Thanks guys, I think I will give it a try sometime soon ; don't think it will hurt seeing as I rarely reach for it nowadays.
That would have to do with my tastes though, as I would definitely recommend Amphora Burley to anybody looking to venture into burley blends.

Will report back when I do.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Thanks guys, I think I will give it a try sometime soon ; don't think it will hurt seeing as I rarely reach for it nowadays.
That would have to do with my tastes though, as I would definitely recommend Amphora Burley to anybody looking to venture into burley blends.

Will report back when I do.

I’ve done it with burleys and it turned out great.

I just came across this thread and can remember the first CRF w/ perique I did years ago - I think I still have some. I think the only burley that didn’t turn out great was the one I soaked in bourbon, for obvious reasons. If I can put my hands on it now, I bet it could be incredible. As history has now shown, and as my instinct was back then and is still now, stoving this stuff at home using this method is going to improve (wait for it…yep…I’m gonna do it…here it goes) any blend you use. I’ve done/tried enough of them at this point that I’m confident saying it. By the time I was done messing around with it, I think I stoved some 20-30 blends at home and, with the exception of adding copious amounts of bourbon, they all turned out better than before they went into the jar & oven. YMMV.

I’ve got a 30 year old unopened tin of Frog that I think I’m gonna stove for science. I was thinking about giving it to whomever bought that mammoth pipe by Dragon Briars that I’m selling, but it’s seeing little action, so this seems like a more viable plan. Details to follow.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
One minor change in the your process I will suggest (from making marmalades and minced meat) is to dispense with the aluminum foil and use the top that comes with the mason jar- just don't tighten it until you take it out.
I'm looking for experience with this. I wouldn't think 190° would damage the rubber gasket, nor create enough pressure to break the jar if it wasn't tightened down until after out of the stove. If I understand the stoving process, the only reason you're using the foil is to create a seal that isn't so tight that you blow up the jar. Am I missing something?

Reactions: yanoJL