PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
And I know it’s taboo to “cellar” tobacco for age in vacuum bags, but how about sous-vide in a vacuum bag (not using the vacuum-just seal) then jar after the two weeks of reabsorbing condensate?

Reactions: BarrelProof
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Navy Flake and Luxury Twist are two worth stoving. Especially if you have some fresh. Stove a few ounces to smoke while the rest ages.
Mcconnell Red VA is another I've had a great experience with. As well as those young C&D VA blends

I prefer to let my VA blends sit in a jar for some time before smoking, 6 months minimum. Even after that, some take longer to get to a point where I enjoy them best. Stoving can really help the process. However, I do not and would not stove anything I plan on cellaring or keeping for years to come. I only stove what I am smoking within the year

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
And I know it’s taboo to “cellar” tobacco for age in vacuum bags, but how about sous-vide in a vacuum bag (not using the vacuum-just seal) then jar after the two weeks of reabsorbing condensate?

I’ll give it a whirl tonight and let you know. I routinely vacuum seal tobacco for the cellar; both in the regular bags and in Mylar.

Reactions: gamzultovah

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ll give it a whirl tonight and let you know. I routinely vacuum seal tobacco for the cellar; both in the regular bags and in Mylar.
I was sealing up bulk ground beef for freezing and decided I can’t wait!

NM400 and CRF on stove for 1/2hr so far.
Both were sealed under vacuum on the “moist” sealer setting, and the way they’ve swoll up pretty good I’m glad they were evacuated. Might even add a little “press” action as they cool.
Here’s at 30min-bags are puffed up and pretty wet inside from condensate. I’m thinking I’ll do an hour or so total.
8FC660AC-FE63-41D0-9DF4-0EF6B5547831.jpeg
EC466652-1E7C-442C-9482-9F3D97990950.jpeg

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier

Both were sealed under vacuum on the “moist” sealer setting, and the way they’ve swoll up pretty good I’m glad they were evacuated. Might even add a little “press” action as they cool.
Here’s at 30min-bags are puffed up and pretty wet inside. I’m thinking I’ll do an hour or so total.
View attachment 216462
View attachment 216463

I’m about to load some up, myself. I’ve got a chamber vac and I’m about to pull one hell of a vacuum on them and see what happens. Just trying to figure out what I’m gonna stove. Might throw caution to the wind and do a pound of ODF.

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
@Arthur Frayn it's been long enough? How about a report!
Yes. it has worked out quite well for me. Im sold on the process and it doesnt seem to hurt the tobacco one bit. And 'helps' the Virginias that i subjected to stoving.

For me, the best result came from Wilke's Lizzie's Blood Red. Tangy in just the right way for my tastes. In fact, I bought two more pounds of it and I intend to stove all of it. When Mr Brandt get his long awaited Perique shipment and releases my order to the tender mercies of the USPS.

The Victorian mix and Three Friars also faired well. Much improved and smoothed it out quite a bit. The WCC Old Dominion is simply scrumptious. The PS Luxury Flake is also showed an excellent result. Everything that I like about that blend in brought out to the front and center.

The Ulhle's Blend 44 showed no change that I can detect and the 00 blend from the same was also not harmed or really changed, as far as I can tell. But, those last two are burley, so I guess it make sense.

Upshot: I recommend stoving for any Virginia heavy blend. Even Mrs Frayne commented that she like the scent the filled the kitchen.

Last edited:

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
Can you not tell me how scrumptious WCC Old Dominion is, please?
Danny spat the dummy, and now won't post to Oz.
OD used to be one of my very favourites.

Reactions: Browny

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
I stoved a smaller sample, probably about two oz in one of those stumpy mason jars. Because i didnt want to mess up a larger sample of the venerable OD. And I already like it as it is.

In the stoving, quite a bit of moisture is released from the flakes and you can see the condensation on the sides of the jar. I waited the full 2 weeks before opening it. The residual glass jar heat seals the lid so there is a satisfying pop when you open it. The aroma of the blend is noticeably more pronounced. All that condensation is somehow re-absorbed. As I was trying to identify any changes in the flavor, over 2-3 days- I noticed that I had unconsciously reached for it and had finished the little jar. Only then was I able to see that I liked it even more than the unstoved control sample. It seems to me that the stoved OD appealed to my tasted in that It was richer, different and more mellow somehow, like it was aged.

'Scrumptious' is not a typical word in my vocabulary. I could say it was more richer, nuttier and more mellow.

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
That's truly lamentable that they wont send anything to Oz. One wonders when 'official' attitudes will reverse in regards to pipe tobacco. I suppose all things are subject to change, given a long enough timeline.

Hopefully, we will live long enough to see it.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ

Here’s at 30min-bags are puffed up and pretty wet inside from condensate. I’m thinking I’ll do an hour or so total.
I opened up the NM400 and tossed it in a jar. It smells richer than it went in (definitely brought the cocoa aroma up, with deeper/fuller aroma of the tobacco).
Been busy and didn’t smoke any yet, but I will tomorrow.

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
Like a lot of other guys here in Oz, we just pale at the fact you get the blends so cheap.
If you want two ounces of, for example, Capstan Blue, it'll be $USD93!

• Wow
Reactions: Mortamyhr