PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Saying that those who microwave tobacco are barbarians was over-the-top wrong and contentious and had no place on a board devoted to pipe fellowship. I should know better and will do my best to stay away from such utterances in future.
"Disrespectful and arrogant" arise out of my view, as above, which is mostly or totally unshared by other members. Using them as unqualified criticism shows my unwarranted anger, no more, but they are less disruptive than the charge of barbarism.
Paraphrasing Duane, if we re allowed to reduce tobacco to ash by smoking why can't we first subdue it in a microwave. Touche.
From an intellectual standpoint, I find Buddhism to be the clearest spiritual teaching, quite possibly as without God the polarities of the phenomenal world can be managed with less overhead. But as practice I also love Hinduism, Christianity and the teachings of Meher Baba.
I am a hip hop bakky nuking hippopotamus of hypocrisy.
Nice of you to make light, but not really.

That's ridiculous, 8 seconds in the microwave is NOT cooking it, and is not long enough to leave behind a smell in the thing. I think some of you guys are posting before you even think about it. I really don't care what you do with your tobacco, smoke it sopping wet for all I care, but to make such a comment shows you aren't really thinking it through, just looking for a reason to toss the whole idea aside... like trolling all of the latakia reviews to post, "latakia tastes like crap, and the blend sucks."

You knew it was coming... didn't you? :puffy:

conanmicrowave.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Don't think this is thread of the year, but sure is an odd one.
Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"

Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."

This all just cracks me up. We can't have a discussion about bowl shapes and bowl sizes, because guys get outraged at the very idea that someone else is tasting something that they don't. Now, microwaving your tobacco gets shut down. It's just funny to me. It's just hard for me to take someone serious about getting angry at what someone else does in their own kitchen. It's like stabbing someone in the head for using jarred garlic instead of pealing fresh garlic.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Whenever I dry my fresh garlic in the microwave when I’m in a hurry to smoke it, I really notice a flavor difference if I smoke it in a deep conical bowl. But it tastes normal in a wide, shallow pot. Go figure. :D

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
So you're drying garlic you intend to smoke, after which, completely unrelated, the pipe with a conical bowl has a flavor that the pot does not?

No no no, when garlic is smoked in a tall conical bowl, it allows you to focus in on the fruity nuances, and a wide pot, is best with a mixture, like garlic, tomatoes, and little oregano, parmesan... I really like to add some fresh roasted peppers to the mix. :puffy:

But, aged jarred garlic has it's benefits. Just don't put it in the microwave. It'll ghost the tobacco you heat up for 30 minutes, and it'll taste like crap.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There does seem to be a strange nexus of tobacco difficulties and Barbarians:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4EGXSuFuIw

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think James Garner's success was that he was immediately likable, no matter what role he played. "The Rockford Files" was a big hit, but I will always remember him from "Maverick," though I was very young when it aired, and "The Great Escape."

Status
Not open for further replies.