PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2018
Hey guys yeah this is how to dry tobacco when like it’s rainging n no sun or it’s to moist straight out of pack.

Yeah lol. Sorry about the table was at my dads house he’s electronics retired so that’s why the table and electronic cables everywhere

Great to see some good comments too thanks guys , and yes I do have a Coca Cola a diction started when I gave up drinking alcohol years ago

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I couldn't resist because I just couldn't. What would such a thread be like if I didn't? So I can't take an adverse position?
But I really do have my reasons that I've never really posted, so for all of you who have been dying to know:
Putting a wondrous substance at the mercy of whatever the strange energy that is microwave seems to me entirely disrespectful.I read a quick article about this energy, and really the only thing that made any sense is that it reverses the polarity. This tells me that protons and electrons are being disrupted, becoming oppositely charged to that which they originally were, perhaps to shift the charge of the molecule itself. I don''t really know, and in any case I am recalling HS chemistry. But to me this is enough as it suggests large scale tampering with a substance that we ourselves cannot recreate.
Tobacco seeds were found at a 12,000 BCE site in the Southwest US. Already! Already! in that remote past tobacco was cherished. It is given to us though the bounty of nature, and it is given in no other way. The Buddhist principle of dependent generation supports the argument for emptiness, but here it underlines that everything is born of the same thing of the previous generation. In his arrogance and folly man destroys his substrate Earth more each day.
I know you all are just drying tobacco in a fast and convenient way, and thus there is a very good chance that I am incorrect to hold this position, but for the reasons above, I find the practice arrogant and disrespectful.

First off, for me... what someone else does to their tobacco, pipes, house, or hair, doesn't concern me.

Likewise, I don't think someone is out there drying all of their tobacco in the microwave. Maybe they are. But just in talking to guys on here, I get the impression that isn't exactly they're all day, everyday routine to nuke their tobacco. I use it when I have thoughtlessly forgotten to set my tins out, or to quickly taste a freshly popped tin. I haven't nuked a pipe full of tobacco in a week or so. And, before than maybe a few weeks. I pretty much will just open a tin or jar a few days in advance of needing a new batch in my rotation of tobacco types. Then I just pour the tin out to dry a bit, usually a day or so. Then I return it to the tin or an empty tin for a jar. But, every now and then I will nuke a pipe full for 8 seconds, and then set it out on the counter. 8 seconds is barely reversing polarity, if that is what is happening, and setting on the counter for a few minutes continues the drying process. I am not cooking my tobacco. Just warming it.
We also use the thing sometimes to heat up some coffee or make some popcorn. We definitely don't cook in it.
But really... if someone else wanted to cook three meals a day in it, and nuke a jar full at a time... then who am I to tell them how to live? I mean, I could rattle on and on about growing your own foods, fruits, juices, raise meat rabbits and chickens, but that's just the road I am on. If someone else wants to live on fast food, dye their hair orange, and paint their pipes pink... well, that would be funny. But... I'm sure I do something someone else would think is funny. :puffy:

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Are you a Buddhist salted plug? Or are you a curious onlooker?

I share your contempt of microwaves and belief that it's disrespectful, not sure about arrogant though. I'm not saying it's not either I'm just not sure. Slothful and impatient too perhaps..

And at the same time I did it and enjoyed it.

That's the duality of life. In good there is evil and in evil there is good.

I love animals and care about their welfare. I also like bacon. To live is to be a hypocrite. To deny your life's hypocracy is ignorance..

I am a hip hop bakky nuking hippopotamus of hypocrisy;

Beep beep microwave dry it out for me.

:puffy:

902819b0d0c3c91ac9edeb8c5ee11a19.jpg

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Any source of heat (of energy, actually) disrupts the molecules. It's not a bad thing per se.
I don't like to nuke tobacco because it comes out steamy and damp.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, those nefarious microwave machines are a commie ruse to sap our precious bodily fluids. And there are those who seriously fear the science of microwaves.
But disrespectful of tobacco? I think not. It hurts the tobacco not, changes the taste not, and is an effective way of treating tobacco to get it ready to smoke. May be the best way in very humid climes. The arrogant comment is beyond the pale.
I might nuke a bowl or two of a freshly opened tin, but the rest dries down in a gentle peaceful spot, slowly and lovingly, with Gregorian chants playing softly in a dimly lit room. The way nature intended. I buy tobacco from vendors who buy from growers who talk to their plants and apologize for harvesting leaves. I play Mozart's Requiem prior to firing a bowl up, even though the material so incinerated has been long dead.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a small carved wooden platter. Seems to be some exotic wood that I cannot remember the name of. However, ten or so seconds in the microwave heats the platter just enough to allow the damp tobacco to dry slowly. Perfect solution for damp tobacco

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
[/quote]I might nuke a bowl or two of a freshly opened tin, but the rest dries down in a gentle peaceful spot, slowly and lovingly, with Gregorian chants playing softly in a dimly lit room. The way nature intended. I buy tobacco from vendors who buy from growers who talk to their plants and apologize for harvesting leaves. I play Mozart's Requiem prior to firing a bowl up, even though the material so incinerated has been long dead.
Here, I thought I was the only one who did that.
Edit: I find it infuriating trying to use the quote function with an iPhone.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just note that the close quote has a slash inside, the open one doesn't. Good to know you like Amadeus, Wolfie, Motz, by whatever name.

viesturs

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
Microwaves that leak can be a great tool for shrinking brain tumors. For the DIY folks. Ahem..

Status
Not open for further replies.