Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

See, it doesn't bother me at all that you aren't talking to me Nate. Because, I can just ram right through that snowy front you pretend to have. I don't even know what your problem is. I just gave her my number in case there was a problem. It was NOTHING! Jeesh! How long are you gonna hold that against me. Didn't we say that we weren't going to make a scene? You and all of that... quiet. Screw you!

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
If I've learned anything as a Criminal Investigator it would be this quote by George Bernard Shaw, "Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” That goes for the criminals we arrest and the defense attorneys that represent them (no offense to attorneys, I love attorneys so much I married one!). The same philosophy works well on social Forums. :puffpipe:

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
As far as the internet goes, almost nothing bothers me. The majority of us don't know each other and if we did many of us wouldn't like each other. We have this one thing in common and for most, that's it.
So when I read the most outrageous things here, or on any other forum, I shrug and think "douche".

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Option # 4 I flame your ass till you are bloodied and beaten down. I then announce to the site that you are a Pariah, and you slink away with your tail between your legs, never to be heard from again. This is my particular favorite as it is in place for any scumbags like Neo Nazi's.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
So when I read the most outrageous things here, or on any other forum, I shrug and think "douche".
+1 jefff, as hard as it is to bite my tongue sometimes I find this is the way to go.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
:| if you don't like how I deal with controversial opinions you can stick it in your moist, dark, "special" place. This might be seen as controversial in which case please refer to previous sentence.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
My experience with the O/P is that he advances the discussion/controversy as opposed to firing back or dismissing a post/thought out of hand. This I find most interesting, as that is no mean feat. As a fire - brand I find that refreshing.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The majority of us don't know each other and if we did many of us wouldn't like each other.
That's a fair point. Although I think there's also truth to the idea of never meeting a person you could not like. That has zero bearing on how accurate they are on any topic.
In fact, I am not sure if it is personal at all. Gentlemen (and presumably ladies, if any show up around this sausage party) need to be able to disagree and get to the root of the matter. That does not mean you have to hate the other guy, although most act as if it does.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Arguing with people over the Internet is a lot like masturbting...it may make you feel good, but when you're done you're still sad that you're all alone.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I’ve been on quite a few forums, and even owned and ran one for some years and have come to the opinion that it usually revolves around the typewritten word rather than the person. Let’s face it; the typewritten word can be somewhat impersonal as it can, at times, be difficult to convey the proper feeling and intent of what is being said without eye contact and being face to face with someone on a one to one basis.
That would be why I disagree with what jefff posted:‘The majority of us don't know each other and if we did many of us wouldn't like each other’. I’m quite confident that if some of the argumentative posts/threads that occasionally rise up here would in no way evolve into verbal fisticuffs if those same people (me included) were sharing the same discussion around a table with a few drinks and a bowl.
However, if such an occurrence should happen while being together over a few drinks you at least then have the option of kicking the other person in the balls, turning your back and walking out which, when I was younger, would be option 3 Respond with a short, reasoned answer. :wink:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Let’s face it; the typewritten word can be somewhat impersonal as it can, at times, be difficult to convey the proper feeling and intent of what is being said without eye contact and being face to face with someone on a one to one basis.
Let me expand on this:
There are no verbal or gesture cues with written text.
Furthermore, the fact that avatars represent people confuses the issue!
But, in my experience, people are much more reasonable than their opinions.
And, I like people. So sue me. In theory I'm a misanthrope and elitist, but in real life? There is much good to be found in many places.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^^ For once, albeit there have been other times, I completely agree with you.
As for: 'Furthermore, the fact that avatars represent people confuses the issue! Yep, I'm guilty of that and I'll try to make a concerted effort of posting a picture of myself as my avatar. By the way, how about you doing the same considering your statement. As the adage goes; Practice what you preach. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.