How Many of You Lucky Dogs Get to Smoke Inside?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I stopped smoking indoors when my first child was born nearly forty years ago. Now, I prefer smoking outside. Among other things, I don't like the smell of stale tobacco. I usually wear a smoking jacket when I smoke because I don't want my clothes to smell. When I smoke in my garage, I open the door afterwards to air it out.
When I did smoke inside, I remember that the walls, furniture, etc., in my house were always being covered in an unpleasant, oily film. I wouldn't want to go back to having to deal with that again.
I often wonder if people who do smoke in their house realize how bad it smells to non-smokers. There are number of a reasons why our society turned against smoking, and one of them is that most smokers often disrespected non-smokers' right to live smoke free. Unfortunately, some still do.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
I'm single, but in a small condo, part of big old seaside house that was turned into 6 units.
I'm not sure if the condo rules prohibit smoking or not, but my neighbors are all pretty easy-going. I smell that my upstairs neighbor occasionally smokes, and it ain't tobacco--so I don't feel too guilty about smoking inside once in a while during the winter months. I do try to limit it to aromatics though, just to be neighborly.

them4chef

Lurker
Oct 23, 2018
I have the luxury of smoking my pipes indoors in the "panzer haus" my 400sqf studio where I do all my reloading, scale model building and all things pipes related. Keeps the mess out of the house and my wife happy though she doesn't mind when I light up in the house once in a while.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I smoke in front of my computer. It adds to the distraction and enjoyment.
My apartment is small so my mother complains about the smell (mostly about the most "raw" aromatics or the non-aromatics, but since I smoke inside my bedroom I'm already doing my best to avoid issues with other living beings (mother and pets)...

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I prefer to smoke outside, but it's cold right now so I smoke in my Jeep. I'm hoping to get a room in my house dialed in to smoke in one day, but my kids are still in the house, so I don't do it.

newdave61

Lurker
Aug 31, 2018
The spousal unit encourages me to smoke indoors, says she likes the smell. I'm a little reluctant to do it because of the lingering odor, second-hand smoke concerns, leaving smoke residue, etc.. No kids to worry about, just the dog.
I will occasionally succumb to temptation and smoke next to the fireplace, hoping most of the room smoke goes up the flue. So far the only downside is dirty looks from the pooch.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I have zero desire to smoke indoors.

Even if I didn't have kids, I still wouldn't want to stink up everything. If the weather isn't conducive I am fine with waiting.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I'm the only kid in the house. :wink:
An extra bedroom serves as a study/playroom; this may be the only place where I smoke indoors anymore. I mostly take it outside.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I wish.
-26F here right now. High tomorrow -13F. Low tomorrow -30F. Plus, it's very windy. Wind chills are 50-60 below. Is this when I'm suppose to pull out the latakia?

dadosaurusrex

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2019
I smoke in the house, but I usually throw one of those twin exhaust fans in the window, just to knock down the clouds a bit.

jhblaze1

Lurker
Jan 8, 2019
I'm primarily a cigar smoker, though being new to pipes, i'm starting to find myself reaching for the pipe more and more often...Anyway, point being, cigars STINK a lot more than pipes...I actually love the aroma of a quality cigar when you get a waft of smoke, but even I can admit a house full of cigar smoke just flat out STANKS.
As such, my wife insists on no smoking inside. Until about 5 months ago i lived in Boston, Cali now....well Xmas 2017, my wife and 2 year old son and the embryo she was carrying went to New Zealand for 2 weeks to return on XMAS eve. It just so happened to be the COLDEST damn 2 weeks ever. I sure as hell wasn't spending 1.5 hours outside to smoke my cigars, so i put a fan in the window and cracked the sliding glass door and smoked away every day. She never knew, and I'm certain she would have read me the riot act if she had.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I smoke inside...the car. Otherwise, it's outdoors. My wife wouldn't tolerate me smoking in the house, but more than that, it's the smell of stale tobacco smoke. It permeates everything. Whether you as a smoker can detect it or not, it's there, and non-smokers smell it right away. Also, it's not good for our dogs and cat.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Still don’t smoke in the house at my wife’s request but I just made the executive decision to smoke in my brand new truck. I live in Minnesota for crying out loud. It had to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.