PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
There does seem a divide between those who , I assume, have an addiction to nicotine. And those pipers who smoke very little and, again I assume , are not addicted
I personally don't play into this idea that nicotine drives pipe smoking...there are far easier (and cheaper) ways of getting a nicotine fix than by purchasing tobacco, purchasing a pipe, purchasing a lighter, loading a pipe, cleaning a pipe, storing a pipe, etc., etc.

I was raised around pipes; I see tintypes of ancestors that my sister found (she's tracked the family history in NC back to 1793) back from the civil war and they are all in the picture smoking a pipe. My great grandfather smoked a pipe, my grandfather smoked a pipe and so did my father. Do I appreciate the nicotine boost? For sure, but it's really the whole package that I enjoy and gets me smoking probably 4 (or so) bowls a day.

If all I wanted was a nicotine boost, I'd either just pop a cigarette in my mouth, chew gum or attach a patch.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I personally don't play into this idea that nicotine drives pipe smoking...there are far easier (and cheaper) ways of getting a nicotine fix than by purchasing tobacco, purchasing a pipe, purchasing a lighter, loading a pipe, cleaning a pipe, storing a pipe, etc., etc.

I was raised around pipes; I see tintypes of ancestors that my sister found (she's tracked the family history in NC back to 1793) back from the civil war and they are all in the picture smoking a pipe. My great grandfather smoked a pipe, my grandfather smoked a pipe and so did my father. Do I appreciate the nicotine boost? For sure, but it's really the whole package that I enjoy and gets me smoking probably 4 (or so) bowls a day.

If all I wanted was a nicotine boost, I'd either just pop a cigarette in my mouth, chew gum or attach a patch.
Whilst I understand your point perhaps the measure is " can you stop ?" .
If you can then ,I believe, you belong in the first group. If not , then in the second.

Reactions: danish and jpmcwjr

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Whilst I understand your point perhaps the measure is " can you stop ?" .
If you can then ,I believe, you belong in the first group. If not , then in the second.
Well, I don't know if I "can" stop because I've never tried and I don't want to try...I smoke a pipe, always have and probably always will...so it's kind of a bad question to ask to someone like me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I am finding that as my smoking technique improves, and as some of my less used pipes get broken in and perhaps my palate is becoming more attuned to nuances, the entire experience is becoming more pleasurable, and i have the urge to smoke more. I just finished a bowl an want to light up another, which never used to happen. I find I need to be more disciplined to keep it to two bowls a day.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
There does seem a divide between those who , I assume, have an addiction to nicotine. And those pipers who smoke very little and, again I assume , are not addicted
some people claim that despite smoking all day it's got nothing to do with addiction. I think they're being delusional. For me my pipe smoking isn't about the addiction in as much as I don't smoke the pipe when I am feeling bad from nicotine withdraw but I'am certainly addicted to nicotine if I forget my snus that equals a very bad day.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the not addicted school reminds me of something a recovered junkie said, nobodies an addict until they can't get it. I think there is some truth in that. Addictions aren't obvious until you can't scratch the itch and then it's pretty in your face.

Pipenwheels

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2020
Ohio
I smoke a consistent 5 bowls a day. Was a pack and a half to 2 pack a day smoker for a decade. The very day I started smoking pipes I have not smoked a cigarette since. I am happier, feel better and do not feel that constant need to smoke like I did when smoking cigarettes. Some days I will only smoke 2 bowls. I just realized I like to smoke, but do to my health needed a less harmful way to do this. Vaping was never a consideration for me. I wish I would have found piping years ago.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I'm at about 3-4 a week................ way down from the 3-4 a day i used to..................
Been on the Grizzly Wintergreen snuff of late............ :confused:
I'm at about 3-4 a week................ way down from the 3-4 a day i used to..................
Been on the Grizzly Wintergreen snuff of late............ :confused:
Man, SAME. I smoke maybe 1-2 pipes a week. I smoke to enjoy the nuanced flavors and spend a contemplative hour alone.

For nicotine - it’s Grizzly Wintergreen, baby. Not proud of it, but it is what it is. I started dipping when my job had me driving 1,000+ miles a week. It has absolutely become a habit/addiction for me. It’s probably the only reason I don’t smoke 3-4 bowls a day. Admittedly, said bowls would probably be better for my oral health than the Ol’ Grizz. ?‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
the not addicted school reminds me of something a recovered junkie said, nobodies an addict until they can't get it. I think there is some truth in that. Addictions aren't obvious until you can't scratch the itch and then it's pretty in your face.
I think you are correct. I am not intending to criticize those who are addicted. Just suggesting they may have differing needs as far as pipe tobacco. For example I smoke so little the cost of tobacco is not relevant. Only it's quality as I taste it.

Reactions: anotherbob