PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
In my 50 yrs of pipe smoking I’ve not collected pipes or collected tobacco. At some point or another I’ve tried every type of tobacco, and gave them a thorough vetting. I have now settled on a handful of blends I like. They are old reliable friends and I am satisfied.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me.... it has been 40 + some added odd number of years. Nearly exclusively with the pipe. I probably have had 2-3 cigars a year over that time too. I never really found cigarettes all that enjoyable.... so over that 40+ year time span.... I have probably had maybe 1 pack of 20 cigarettes total.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
Started in 2005, started cigars at the same time. Pretty on again/off again with both ever since. A good chunk of time from 2009-2012 I was more consistent, but usually not more than once/day. Recently got serious about it again.

So...15 years, but probably less than 1 year’s worth of the equivalent experience of somebody who smokes many bowls a day.

so you can pretty much ignore anything I say :LOL:

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
2 years 3 months since buying my first clay pipe.
I only smoke clays and have only smoked a non-clay pipe twice, both with Clan.
I like the sense of history attached to smoking a clay and it was seeing re-enactors smoking them that made me want to smoke a clay (at events).
My favourite pipe tobacco is Gawith Hoggarth Cherry Vanilla; I'll be smoking some at re-enactments when the pandemic has passed.
I'd like to spend a weekend with the Earl of Manchester's regiment (Sealed Knot) and will be smoking clay pipes then.
I'm also thinking of taking part in clay pipe smoking competitions and would like to wear my redcoat uniform for this!
I have a large clay pipe I got from @tozert and have tried smoking it but couldn't get it lit; I'd need a blowtorch to light it properly!
I'd like to fill it and see how long I can keep it burning; it would be a good pipe to smoke while I'm working outdoors or when I go out for a drink!
The longest I've ever made a clay pipe full of tobacco last is 24 minuted; I've never managed it again!

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
2 years for me. I was pretty casual about it at first, but I started cellaring in earnest and collecting nicer pipes after about 8-9 months.

I smoked a pack of cigarettes per day from age 15-29. Then I got really into cigars for about 8 months, and those were what helped me finally quit smoking cigarettes. Cigars then transitioned into pipes. These days I maybe smoke a few cigars a year, and only smoke a pipe a couple times a week.

Seems like a pretty common path to piping, from what others have posted here! ?