How Do You Reconcile With Pipe Smoking's Health Risks?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
'Course, Jim did die at 27. I'm 67 so I figure I dodged it.
Congratulations brother, I am age 67 also. Looks like we both got away with something!
Perhaps if Jim had smoked a (tobacco) pipe and taken fewer medications he may have enjoyed better longevity.
Then again, it really wasn’t his thing to relax and take it easy.

Last edited:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Congratulations brother, I am age 67 also. Looks like we both got away with something!

You will have really gotten away with something when you reach 68, because there is now an ever-growing list of them who kicked off at 67 for some reason...seems to be the new 27. Latest was Neil Peart.

Reactions: Ronv69

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Somehow that actually sounds like it might be good. Maybe if the onion was fried first.
It really is! I use sweet Vidalias. The initial shock on the kids' faces is hilarious.? I've been doing it so long now that parents I got as children are bringing their kids for "apples". rotf

Reactions: Ronv69

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I know it's completely self-serving and seemingly at the mercy of the cognitive biases we humans tend to have(wishful thinking, the aforementioned self-serving bias, confirmation bias, etc), but I genuinely believe that the health risks of pipe smoking are minimal, and I would even express the much more controversial intuition(And this is nothing more than an intuition, take it with a grain of salt) that tobacco itself is not as harmful as the data suggests. My views are somewhat complicated, but the first red flag for me is that cancer is simply not a reliable outcome for smokers. Even cigarette smokers do not reliably get cancer. Countless non-smokers get cancer, and for cigarettes, how can we know it's not the paper, or the additives, or some variable that links cigarette smokers like a personality type or a genetic predisposition or stress? We simply don't have medical science that rigorous at this time to my knowledge. It's extremely, extremely difficult, to pin cancer on tobacco in a world full of various carcinogens and radiation(As a point of reference the various superpowers of the world have a history of detonating extremely radioactive, devastating weapons all over the globe, to test them). There's something fishy about the how taboo tobacco is in the west, and I think it's more likely that the way modern medical science views tobacco is poisoned by this taboo, than tobacco being precisely as harmful as it is claimed. Despite this, what data there is, seems to be very, very weak in showing a causal relationship between significant health risks and pipe smoking. We still have to answer why certain people(even large numbers) can go on living lives smoking massive amounts of pipes or cigars, for massive amounts of years, and die at a ripe old age. Why is this the case? I don't claim to know, but we can know that tobacco is not the instant death sentence that new scary warning label on your tin or pouch suggests. There's something fishy about it. There's something more.

Like I said, I know this view isn't a "good look", I know how it sounds: "Oh, you just believe that because you're a pipe smoker!" Well, I'd like to think not. I want to be in touch with reality, even if that reality goes against my own preferences and desires, I can confidently say that is a core value of mine. If tobacco really does cause poor health, I want to be the first to know and choose my behaviors carefully so I do not regret them, but it's just... honestly not a huge concern based on what I see before me.

Slacey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2020
Telford, UK
www.youtube.com
I've just taken up the pipe after 20 of not smoking (cigarettes). At 48 I don't consider myself old and therefore don't think "what's there to lose", but having grown up in a city in the 70's, with it's unregulated industry and pollution, plus now volunteering at a local museum as a steam engine operator (the boilers are all wood and coal fired, producing plenty of dust and smoke) I figure that I've been exposed over my lifetime to a myriad of nasty stuff - smoking a pipe certainly seems to be more beneficial to me personally than the risk involved with burning tobacco.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I have been cutting down on the drinking lately so I drank a little more than usual. Got home and smoked 3 bowls (I usually only do that over 3 weeks).
Boy were those bowls good though. Amazing how a few drinks can make a usually reasonable and intelligent human brain say "Whooooooo! Fuck it, man! Yeah!!!!!!"
+1 on the drinking causing excessive smoking. More along the lines of 5+ bowls in an evening for me. Been thinking of quitting drinking for a while just to control smoking. Seems I have to be smoking if I'm having a few. (which is one weekend night)

Drinking is like pooping
Smoking is like peeing
If you poop, you have to pee
But if you pee, you don't necessarily have to poop

Status
Not open for further replies.