How Do You Reconcile With Pipe Smoking's Health Risks?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Careful what you wish for: a short period of decline can be painfully excruciating. Sometimes it's best to spread the pain out a bit so that it's less intense.
Unless that short period of decline is 200 yards down a cliff side to the ocean on a motorcycle.

Reactions: Ronv69

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Unless that short period of decline is 200 yards down a cliff side to the ocean on a motorcycle.
adventuredemotivator.jpeg

grettman

Lurker
Dec 28, 2018
I wonder what the group thinks of the news about Rush Limbaugh having advanced lung cancer. I have listened to Rush since 1990 (don't judge please! I am not trying to get into a political battle). He spoke occasionally about quitting smoking (cigarettes) in his thirties. But picked up cigar smoking and from what I can tell he was a frequent cigar smoker. What are your thoughts? For me, I am considering re-evaluating my consumption of pipe/cigars. I enjoy it too much to quit but I am thinking of cutting it back some.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I wonder what the group thinks of the news about Rush Limbaugh having advanced lung cancer. I have listened to Rush since 1990 (don't judge please! I am not trying to get into a political battle). He spoke occasionally about quitting smoking (cigarettes) in his thirties. But picked up cigar smoking and from what I can tell he was a frequent cigar smoker. What are your thoughts? For me, I am considering re-evaluating my consumption of pipe/cigars. I enjoy it too much to quit but I am thinking of cutting it back some.
Recent Related Thread Link

Mar 29, 2016
Pipe smoking is not a risk free hobby but if it remains just a hobby and not an all consuming addiction then those risks are somehow mitigated. Of course you have genetics that come into play and some people should never smoke or run a marathon. The search for pleasure should never override the search for a healthy life.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Grettman: Are you seriously saying that your health decisions are being made based on your limited knowledge of Limbaugh's lifestyle? Perhaps your family history would merit consideration. Are you related to Limbaugh family tree?

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

DarkButterfly

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2020
South East UK
The same reason I took up vaping, it's a better alternative to smoking cigarettes because I only smoke a couple of bowls a day, sometimes a week, and not particularly big bowls, the risk is small but not absent.
You only live once :)

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Something is going to get me at some point, whether it's my smoking, or more likely my drinking (I drink even though I have fatty liver disease because I'm stupid and I love Scotch).

It could be my diet, or cancer from breathing air pollution, or a random accident, or an unforeseeable health condition. I'd rather die of cancer or liver disease early on than die in a car wreck in peak physical condition before my mangled body is scraped off the pavement and shoveled into a plastic bag. Or before my very being disintegrates in the wake of a nuclear explosion, or I become a pincushion due to a random mass shooting.

Anyway, life is to be enjoyed. That, coupled with the relatively low risk of my pipe smoking, as say, compared to using cigarettes or dip, is what closes the book for me. I want to smoke. I like it.

I guess also smoking cigars increases the risk greatly, but oh well.
Good time, not a long time. ?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have no science to back anything up here. However, a few months ago I started seeing a new doctor in our area. I had gone to see her about anxiety and depression meds. I told her that I was a pipe smoker. She had to ask me if I was willing to quit, and I laughed and said "no I enjoy it, and it's relaxing". And she gave me NO lectures about health issues.

At the end of the appointment, she said "well I'm glad you found the pipe as another way to help with your anxiety".

So there's that.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I wonder what the group thinks of the news about Rush Limbaugh having advanced lung cancer.
It is worrisome but pipe smokers are much more likely to get throat cancer than other types. Not sure which is worse.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I will say simply this:
I really have not smoked that much (an occasional pipe or cigar now and then) most of my life. Now in my late 50's, I feel that the enjoyment derived from my pipes far outweighs the slight possibility of health risks associated with piping.
I feel quite confident that the 10 to 15 bowls a week I smoke will not shorten my life to any measurable degree.
I like your style.

Ronv69

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2020
Linden , Texas
I was already old when I started, and I didn't expect to live this long anyway. But I think that the risk is negligible, especially with my one or two pipes per day. If I was worried about it I would stop. I

Jan 27, 2020
I have a close family member who is a lung cancer survivor over 10 years now (knock on wood), she had a lung removed but as I’m sure anyone who reads this will agree she was very lucky. I’m in my 40s, could never stand cigarettes (hate is probably the more accurate term) and despite that and my connection to this person’s illness which I would categorize as more than just an emotional reaction I have recently decided to take up the pipe. It likely is a rationalization on my part that a couple of bowls a day won’t catch up with me but I don’t think it’s totally unfounded that it effects me in a positive way by reducing stress by giving myself time to pause and contemplate/reflect. I have also found that it has reduced my drinking, the though of popping into a bar midday just feels a lot less interesting in comparison to smoking something nice these days.

RobertL

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
I recently started smoking a pipe again at age 57 after a 30 year hiatus from pipes and cigars. I tried picking up cigars again first, but they just murdered my allergies. After a couple of unsuccessful tries with the cigars, I decided to try a pipe. For some reason the pipes don’t bother me at all.

Like whiskey, I enjoy my pipes in moderation, so I’m really not worried about the health repercussion. Honestly, the dust from my restoration projects is probably a more serious health risk. Too bad I can’t buy a dust mask!:ROFLMAO:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I see an oral surgeon every 6 months to look at the area under the floor of my tounge. I had a chunk cut out 10 years ago and it's looking rough again. Still smokin my pipe...

Reactions: chopper and LEP7cv
Status
Not open for further replies.