PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Rush Limbaugh, a lifelong smoker, has LUNG CANCER! What are your thoughts?

Why is the title of this thread "Is This Taboo?..." you may ask? Because in my short time here I've watched so many threads simply (apparently) disappear; the latest one being a thread on this very subject. I've looked everywhere for it but cannot find it? It may be me and my lack of navigation skills, but I don't think so. The search bar is pretty easy to use.

So what are your thoughts on this tragic turn of events? Will Rush Limbaugh's diagnoses in any way curb your own smoking habits? Will you now think twice when a certain blend puts a catch in your throat or when your tongue or palette doesn't recover as quickly as you though it should?

And as an aside, I'd like to know if this subject (a subject pertaining to smoking in general) is taboo? And how and why do threads just DISAPPEAR?

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I chalk it up to decades of cigarette smoking. But I do plan to keep my pipe smoking limited.

I believe that thread was removed for politics, not smoking related discussion.
Thank you for replying. I plan on giving it (tobacco use) up after a fifteen year run. The risk vs. reward is not worth it to me.

And, a fellow smoker (regardless of political affiliation) contracting a smoking related disease should, in my opinion, be fair game for discussion on a smoking related blog.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Thank you for replying. I plan on giving it (tobacco use) up after a fifteen year run. The risk vs. reward is not worth it to me.

And, a fellow smoker (regardless of political affiliation) contracting a smoking related disease should, in my opinion, be fair game for discussion on a smoking related blog.
Every man/woman must decide their own path and choices in life, and what is right for them. If giving up the pipe is something you feel you have to do, then that's what you should do.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I think people have this idea that the odds of an event change because it happens.

Fact is, probabilistic models may tell you there’s a 1 in 192738338 chance of being struck by lightning, but if you know somebody who actually gets struck by lightning, suddenly it feels like a real possibility— that’s just how our brains process freak events.

Now the odds of contracting a smoking-related disease are much less remote than that number I just made up, but I’m still comfortable with the risk. And smoking an occasional (2-5 times a week) pipe is literally my only risky behavior. But different people have different levels of risk aversion. Do whatever makes you most comfortable.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
People get cancer because they turn something recreational into something habitual. Personally my pipe is for the beginning and end of my day. The beginning to prepare my mind for the day, and the end to reflect on it. I know it's a bit harsh but anyone who turns tobacco use into an every hour on the hour thing is not very bright.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
30 plus years of cigarette smoking is going to take it's toll on your lungs. Can the same be said for 30 years of pipe smoking? NIMO.

He wasn't stupid or lived under a rock. He knew the risk and he took them. We all gamble with the choices we make everyday. Smoking cigarettes isn't a risk I'm willing to take. I don't fault him for it, his choice, his consequence.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Explain lung cancer in non smokers.
It was a generalising statement. I don't usually venture into the endless chasm of the splitting hairs department. This thread isn't about non tobacco related cancer. I believe the poster was asking about tobacco related cancer. If you wanted to discuss something like that we should start a new thread and call it "Let's talk in circles until the end of eternity"

Mar 1, 2014
I think people have this idea that the odds of an event change because it happens.

Fact is, probabilistic models may tell you there’s a 1 in 192738338 chance of being struck by lightning, but if you know somebody who actually gets struck by lightning, suddenly it feels like a real possibility— that’s just how our brains process freak events.

Now the odds of contracting a smoking-related disease are much less remote than that number I just made up, but I’m still comfortable with the risk. And smoking an occasional (2-5 times a week) pipe is literally my only risky behavior. But different people have different levels of risk aversion. Do whatever makes you most comfortable.

Hereditary diseases complicate that a bit.
Then again eventually everyone will have a family history of cancer so this particular subject might not apply to that line of thinking forever.

Reactions: gamzultovah

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
The carcinogens most of us have been exposed to that are related to lung cancer include:

- Radon (yes it's real, and unless you live in a tent on the beach you should get your house tested)
- Vinyl chloride (that new car smell, and portion of blue haze that develops on the inside of your windshield)
- Benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, total xylenes (putting gas in your car)
- Tetrachloroethylene (dry cleaning process and brake cleaner to name just two)
- Methyl chloride (paint stripper and several other cleaners/solvents)

Pipe smoking is not "healthy" when it comes to cancer risk, but neither is living on Earth in a first world country. I'll take my chance and enjoy it while I can.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
For me specifically, he is not an accurate comparison. He smoked cigs and cigars for decades. I do not (and have not) smoke either. I’m new to pipe smoking relatively late in life; Rush started tobacco use in his teens. I’m not denying the studies that claim there is a danger associated with pipe smoking. But Rush’s use and mine are so different, his diagnosis does not give me pause.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When celebrities who smoke are threatened by smoking related illness, it is a data point of sorts, as are the various people we know or have known who have suffered the same. Moderate even more or quit is the message, take it or leave it. No comment on the personality since that isn't the subject here. I don't wish illness on anyone.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would hope that we're all aware that smoking is not a healthy habit. Anyone smoking indoors is inhaling. Pipe smoking is not particularly safe. Some of us will get cancer. Some of us will suffer from COPD, emphysema or other respiratory conditions. Some of us won't contract any of these diseases or suffer any obvious health effects. There's always a genetic wildcard.
Live in a city? Drive a car? Eat fried food? Lot's of decisions can affect your health, expose you to carcinogens. We all make self destructive decisions all through our lives. It's just that we're also great at denial and rationalization all the way to the grave.

I'm going to smoke a bowl of Rhythm & Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.