How Do You Reconcile With Pipe Smoking's Health Risks?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
+1 on the drinking causing excessive smoking. More along the lines of 5+ bowls in an evening for me. Been thinking of quitting drinking for a while just to control smoking. Seems I have to be smoking if I'm having a few. (which is one weekend night)

Drinking is like pooping
Smoking is like peeing
If you poop, you have to pee
But if you pee, you don't necessarily have to poop
Wow, man. That’s moving. Pure poetry.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I’ve been smoking pipes and cigars for about two years, recently decreasing cigars to about one a month and pipe to 7ish bowls a week. I’m learning that more than 2 or 3 smokes of any kind a week and i start to feel it. Just getting over a nasty case of bronchitis and can appreciate just how important healthy lungs are and how bad lung disease would suck.

So as others have said its all about balance and each of our bodies is different. I find mine is probably more sensitive to smoke than some. Even without inhaling smoke definitely gets into the lungs. So for me smoking us going to be a very occasional thing - a once or twice a week kind of thing. Which means i have enough pipe tobacco to last pretty much the rest of my life.

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
I started my tobacco usage when I was just about 18 with dip and swisher sweets. I didn't start cigarettes' until I was 19. I switched primarily to a pipe freshman year in college to do better on PT runs. In college I decided to really look into the effects of tobacco usage when that 2004 study on Cigar smoking came out. Cigar aficionado did a piece celebrating how the study had shown how much safer cigars where than cigs.

At the time I was smoking cigars, cigs, and a pipe as well as putting a lip in from time to time. I perfered cigars and still do, however, my research into the subject led me to conclude that pipe smoking was by far the safest way to consume tobacco. I have at times switched back to cigs only to reluctantly come back to smoking a pipe full time for the huge health benefit.

And the benefit is huge. Look at Sweden's study on the effect of the majority of the male population switching from cigs to smokeless tobacco. Look at Britans study on pipe smokers. look at the CDC's own reports and data. Look at when an increase in recorded lung cancer became a thing (right after cigs introduced)

Yes their is a health risk, but it is substantially lower than cigs, which is my goal. If I could quit tobacco alltogether I would, and don't think it prolongs my life at the 1964 Surgeon General report claims, but I also don't believe its a major risk.

Reactions: Ronv69

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I started my tobacco usage when I was just about 18 with dip and swisher sweets. I didn't start cigarettes' until I was 19. I switched primarily to a pipe freshman year in college to do better on PT runs. In college I decided to really look into the effects of tobacco usage when that 2004 study on Cigar smoking came out. Cigar aficionado did a piece celebrating how the study had shown how much safer cigars where than cigs.

At the time I was smoking cigars, cigs, and a pipe as well as putting a lip in from time to time. I perfered cigars and still do, however, my research into the subject led me to conclude that pipe smoking was by far the safest way to consume tobacco. I have at times switched back to cigs only to reluctantly come back to smoking a pipe full time for the huge health benefit.

And the benefit is huge. Look at Sweden's study on the effect of the majority of the male population switching from cigs to smokeless tobacco. Look at Britans study on pipe smokers. look at the CDC's own reports and data. Look at when an increase in recorded lung cancer became a thing (right after cigs introduced)

Yes their is a health risk, but it is substantially lower than cigs, which is my goal. If I could quit tobacco alltogether I would, and don't think it prolongs my life at the 1964 Surgeon General report claims, but I also don't believe its a major risk.

Yeah I never really bought the whole "pipe smokers live longer" portion of that study. I'm sure the correlation is there in the data, but there are just far too many extraneous variables, age at uptake, income, location, access to health care, diet, booze, etc. for that portion of the data to really hold any weight IMO.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
Yeah I never really bought the whole "pipe smokers live longer" portion of that study. I'm sure the correlation is there in the data, but there are just far too many extraneous variables, age at uptake, income, location, access to health care, diet, booze, etc. for that portion of the data to really hold any weight IMO.

I personally think the idea was to get everyone to switch to a safer form of smoking but then later studies (which are documented as recently as 08 from a simple Google search) showed getting Americans to switch to safer alternatives had a significantly lower success rate than getting Americans to try and quit straight out. The government's job, in the eyes of the CDC and such, is to save as many life years as possible. If they came out and told cig cmokers to switch to a pipe, like they did, more people would get cancer because they'd switch back.

Like I have more than once, because pipes are a pain in the ass.

Reactions: Ronv69 and BROBS

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Apologies if this has already been said.

A U.S. Surgeon Generals report found that pipe smokers who inhale have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.

How could this be correct I hear people ask?
Pipe smokers tend to smoke way less than those who smoke cigarettes.
Cigarettes have a staggering 300+ added chemicals. Pipe tobacco has none [A little harmless PG or glycerine aside]

Pipe smokers who don't inhale have a life expectancy 3 years beyond a non-smoker.
This is due to the meditative qualities in puffing on a pipe.

Life is way too short not to be enjoyed.
For over 30 years I rode motor bikes, mainly Ducatis. And I ride fast [Have a long list of speeding fines to prove it]
Riding motor bikes has it's risks, sure. But, anyone who gives too much thought to the risks involved in any pursuit is doing themselves no favours.

I've known quite a few riders who've had many bad accidents. Most of them were the types of riders who worried too much. That worry showed in the way that they rode, way too hesitant & overly cautious. [Or they were dickheads who rode in a way not safe for the conditions]
Me? I was a ratbag who lived in the moment & enjoyed every minute.
When the conditions allowed I'd ride flat out. In all those years I did not have one accident.

Smoking cigarettes concerned me especially since my 'terminal' Buergers Disease was blamed on smoking.
It's why I switched to a pipe.
Now I smoke a pipe without giving any thought to how it might affect my health. If it did, it would detract from my enjoyment. Were that the case then why bother?

Our minds are a powerful thing. Fear, worry, anxiety & stress will create illness. What we fear is what we attract.

When I smoked ciggies it was out of addiction. Now I smoke a pipe for sheer enjoyment.
I'll give up my pipe when I'm dead. Until then, I'll enjoy every bowl without a care. : )

Reactions: Ctbill and Drew72

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA

A U.S. Surgeon Generals report found that pipe smokers who inhale have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker.

Cigarettes have a staggering 300+ added chemicals. Pipe tobacco has none [A little harmless PG or glycerine aside]

Pipe smokers who don't inhale have a life expectancy 3 years beyond a non-smoker.
I’ve heard this before but never looked it up. Do you have a link to the statement or study?

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois

This is due to the meditative qualities in puffing on a pipe.

Life is way too short not to be enjoyed.
For over 30 years I rode motor bikes, mainly Ducatis. And I ride fast [Have a long list of speeding fines to prove it]
Riding motor bikes has it's risks, sure. But, anyone who gives too much thought to the risks involved in any pursuit is doing themselves no favours.

I've known quite a few riders who've had many bad accidents. Most of them were the types of riders who worried too much. That worry showed in the way that they rode, way too hesitant & overly cautious. [Or they were dickheads who rode in a way not safe for the conditions]
Me? I was a ratbag who lived in the moment & enjoyed every minute.
When the conditions allowed I'd ride flat out. In all those years I did not have one accident.

Smoking cigarettes concerned me especially since my 'terminal' Buergers Disease was blamed on smoking.
It's why I switched to a pipe.
Now I smoke a pipe without giving any thought to how it might affect my health. If it did, it would detract from my enjoyment. Were that the case then why bother?

Our minds are a powerful thing. Fear, worry, anxiety & stress will create illness. What we fear is what we attract.

When I smoked ciggies it was out of addiction. Now I smoke a pipe for sheer enjoyment.
I'll give up my pipe when I'm dead. Until then, I'll enjoy every bowl without a care. : )

i rode a Harley for 9 years. I Always wore full gear, including a bright yellow full faced helmet, and absolutely no alcohol while riding. I loved it! It has to be one of the most freeing experiences there is, IMO. I rode with discipline, but was always loose. Then, I started tightening up, for some reason. I knew that was a bad sign, and sold my bike without regret. I guess I had satisfactorily scratched that itch, as they say, and was able to move on with no accidents.

I feel smoking a few bowls per week is far less treacherous than riding a motorcycle, even if precautions are taken. The probability of a distracted driver making a left turn in front of me and running me over are much lower sitting in my backyard with a pipe than riding an MC!

Cheers
Drew

Reactions: Ronv69 and chopper

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I’ve never wanted the speed, so much as the acceleration. Highway on-ramps are fun for that, and you don’t even have to speed.

i was the EXACT same way when I rode. I loved the acceleration—even on an 800 pound Road King, it was amazing. I probably never topped out at more than 80-85 mph. Also loved twisties, leaning into the curves. Nothing like it.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
i rode a Harley for 9 years. I Always wore full gear, including a bright yellow full faced helmet, and absolutely no alcohol while riding. I loved it! It has to be one of the most freeing experiences there is, IMO. I rode with discipline, but was always loose. Then, I started tightening up, for some reason. I knew that was a bad sign, and sold my bike without regret. I guess I had satisfactorily scratched that itch, as they say, and was able to move on with no accidents.

I feel smoking a few bowls per week is far less treacherous than riding a motorcycle, even if precautions are taken. The probability of a distracted driver making a left turn in front of me and running me over are much lower sitting in my backyard with a pipe than riding an MC!

Cheers
Drew
Something like 90% of accidents happen within 5 miles from home.
I've known blokes who would jump on their bike in singlets, shorts & thongs/flip-flops because 'I'm only going to the shop'.
Whenever I got on my bike, I'd have fullface helmet, jacket, gloves & boots, no exceptions ever.

An Aussie Uni study found that the first year of riding a bike was the most dangerous.
They were surprised to find that if a rider survived the first year of riding without having an accident, then that person had a 90% chance or higher, of never ever having a serious accident no matter how long they ride.

The lead Professor of the study said that there was no scientific explanation. He believed that the only logical answer to explain why was that these riders must develop a 6th sense that allows them to anticipate other road users actions.
He's dead right. I also think that one learns to spot little things, like a car drivers head turning to look in a mirror before switching lanes without indicating for example.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've always wanted to just open it up on a straight stretch on a really fast bike. It's on the bucket list
When I went on the last Ducati Owners Club Annual Thunder Rally out to Lake Cargelligo, I'd just come out of the last sign-posted 90kph corner after 70-80 kilometers of long sweeping corners, onto a very long straight.

Riding a 1979 SD900 Ducati, I came out of the corner at 160kph. Despite the 'Unfenced Stock' sign, I figured this would be a good spot to test out top speed.
A mate who was following on his 650 Pantah said I took off like we were standing still.
250kph/155mph is reasonably fast on a motor cycle. It was such a buzz but to be honest, blasting through all those fast high speed corners was even better. Especially when passing a Harley rider on the outside of him [Passing on the inside I consider rather rude, unless on a race track off course]

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I’ve never wanted the speed, so much as the acceleration. Highway on-ramps are fun for that, and you don’t even have to speed.
The speed, the acceleration and cornering was why I rode a bike, especially a Ducati.
They are engineered to safely do all three.
Jap bikes have come a long way [still inferior to a Duke] but the earlier Jap bikes were health hazards. They were only good for acceleration, lol.

Just be careful of highway on/off ramps; if cars frequently bank up on them, like in peak-hour traffic, then there's often a build-up of oil in the middle of the road.

Reactions: Ronv69

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The lead Professor of the study said that there was no scientific explanation. He believed that the only logical answer to explain why was that these riders must develop a 6th sense that allows them to anticipate other road users actions.

Then he threw up the horns and yelled “Rock on,” dropped the mic, and turned and walked away.

And everyone clapped!

• Haha
Reactions: chopper and Ronv69

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I’m ok with pipe smoking, non inhaling, 1-2 bowls a day risk.
I’m also ok with being an avid motorcyclist, and am fortunate to own a few, and ride them often. I also drive 45,000 miles a year - in my car. I eat right, and exercise often.
I want a “steep” curve to my end of life. Meaning, awesome for a long time, then a very short period of decline and then death.
Yep, that simple. LIVE LIFE. And unplanned shit happens...and you have no control over that.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Careful what you wish for: a short period of decline can be painfully excruciating. Sometimes it's best to spread the pain out a bit so that it's less intense.
Nope, short decline/pain period. Period. Short being the operative word.
I can take it...
Otherwise, I’ll find a nice bridge abutment at speed...?

• Haha
Reactions: olkofri
Status
Not open for further replies.