How Do You Reconcile With Pipe Smoking's Health Risks?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would humbly suggest cutting down on the number of bowls a bit. Better to live to smoke another day, than to live without smoking.

Funny thing about the yerba mate: yes, the English page on the Whiskipedia says it's a cancer risk due to heat :rolleyes: (if heat gave you cancer most coffee drinkers would be dropping like flies), yet the Spanish page says that yerba mate prevents tongue cancer due to the natural compounds in it. Whose science, or lack thereof, is correct? Enjoy your yerba, mate.
A fine example of why Wikipedia is not an acceptable academic source. Its user generated, lightly scrutinized content. It could tell you anything.

My understanding from the tea studies is that the elevated cancer risk is in folks who drink ridiculously hot. Warm Was fine IIRC, just super (tissue damaging) levels of hot were risky. I guess.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
A fine example of why Wikipedia is not an acceptable academic source. Its user generated, lightly scrutinized content. It could tell you anything.
Yes. Add to that that even though it purports to be 'neutral and unbiased', Wikipedia is strongly leaning to that end of the political spectrum that hates tobacco, among other things. In many instances it's a fine example of propaganda disguised as fact or science. One must take its content cum grano salis.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yes. Add to that that even though it purports to be 'neutral and unbiased', Wikipedia is strongly leaning to that end of the political spectrum that hates tobacco, among other things. In many instances it's a fine example of propaganda disguised as fact or science. One must take its content cum grano salis.

Hahaha, I like the latin. Yeah it’s biased in a lot of things, particularly politically. I’ve read some shit on Wikipedia that sounded like it was written by a 12 year old fan girl.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I don't reconcile. I have worked in oncology and I understand the risks.
I smoke cigs, and have for something like 25 years now. Moving to pipes and snus as best I can.....not too worried that the pipe will do anything that the 350,000+ coffin nails haven't.

Having said that I do have a few observations:
  1. I have rarely seen pipe or cigar smokers with cancer. In fact I have seen far more non-smokers with lung cancer than pipe smokers. While this can be explained away with demographics it is still worth noting when the relatively young, healthy, never smoker, active yoga/organic woman is being treated for Stage IV Lung Cancer with Mets to the brain is more common than the pipe smoking fisherman. Genetics absolutely plays a tremendous role in our health.
  2. IMHO smoking indoors greatly magnifies the health consequences. Outdoor or even vehicle smoking (window down) seems, in my completely non-scientific observation, to have significantly less impact than smoking indoors. Which does make sense to me at least on a surface level; step outside for a cig and you have exposed yourself to smoke directly for a couple of minutes, but smoke in your living room while watching tv and you will be sucking down second hand smoke to some degree or another almost constantly, depending on your volume of cigarette consumption (more or that below). I believe this applies to pipes and cigars, as even if you don't inhale the primary smoke you will be inhaling the secondary smoke. If you wish to smoke inside I'd recommend a decent ventilation system.
  3. I would also note that it is my completely non-scientific observation that those that smoke indoors ad libitum often smoke more than those who smoke outdoors or have dedicated smoking area/room.
This likely also contributes to increased risk.

Note: Nothing in this post should be considered medical advice.
Some human experience here.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It’s amazing how many people are unaware of the significant role irritation of soft tissues plays in cancer risk, regardless of the presence of carcinogens. Great book that speaks to that a bit, and cancer in general called “The Emperor of All Maladies.” By Sidhartha Mukherjee. A very interesting and educational read.
Definitely. Irritation, in my humble view, has a greater impact on cancer development than the presence of 'carcinogens'. Hence my suggestion to Dissident_Mantis above. Continuous irritation will cause the tissues to morph, either benign or malignantly. This is a natural response from the body, as the tissues try to develop an 'armour' to protect themselves from irritation. You have the benign cheratosis of the lips resulting from holding something in your mouth continuously or for extended periods of time, for example; this something needs not be solely a pipe or cigar, it can be a tool or a musical instrument.

Reactions: diamondback

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Flying single engine aircraft is (although much safer) very similar. By far most accidents are caused by a decision the pilot made. Those who fly in shit weather, over gross weight, while tired/distracted/intoxicated elevate their risk exponentially.

I also think gross overweight people on planes suck. ;)

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
I know that it's probably a good idea to cut down on the smoking, but after 5 or 6 glasses of scotch the risk assessment part of my brain shuts off and I go into bowl packing/smoking autopilot. This usually results in me feeling disgusted with myself the next day and waking up with breath that my fiance affectionately describes as manure/roadkill. Then I take 3-5 days off, even though the soft tissue damage is already done.
I know that dead cells in the mouth can be a cause of halitosis, I have experienced this when I was sick with the flu. I wonder if this is the cause of that heinous "pipe breath". And if it is, that could be a sign of extensive soft tissue damage.
Either way, since it appears that the alcohol is probably the root of my smoking problem, I have decided to give it up for 90 days as part of the Exodus 90 challenge. I will see if this helps, I am starting today.

Orophin1990

Lurker
Jan 6, 2020
England
I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a motorcycle thread... but you nail it here. For those who think proper footwear are flip flops, proper protective head gear is a baseball cap turned backwards, and having a few beers before riding is acceptable, well, Darwin theory, I suppose. I used to get hazed by other Harley riders for the the full protective gear I ALWAYS wore on every ride and my bright yellow full-faced helmet. The bad motorcycle statistics are largely based on untrained riders who do not respect the sport. There are a lot of parallels with pipe smoking, I believe. Do what you can to mitigate the risks in an inherently risky endeavor.

Cheers

I’m a relatively new rider- finally passed my test and bought a Honda shadow last year at age 28 after a lifetime of wanting a Harley.

I love it. There’s a freedom and an excitement to riding a bike which just isn’t present in a car.

I’ve already had one twat pull out in front of me. I was doing forty and managed to stop in time. Bike went sideways, but I kept it upright.

My bike is a big, noisy, chrome covered piece of ridiculousness. And yet he still managed not to see me coming.

That’s the danger with a bike. I wear a helmet and a jacket (though admittedly jeans rather than proper biking trousers). I don’t do the idiotic things which every scooter rider in London seems to do as a matter of course. In short I’m not an idiot about it, but it’s a fact that something which might result in a broken bumper and some whiplash in a car will probably kill me on a bike.

For me, the enjoyment of riding a bike is worth the risk.

For me, the enjoyment of riding a bike is worth the risk.
I'm glad that you found something that you love. The one thing I have noticed lately is people just have no clue where the blind spot is on a car or truck. When I was learning to drive, everyone told me never ride in a lane next to a vehicle where the front of you vehicle is even with their front door... on either side. I have nearly run several cars and motorcycles off the road because they have no clue that they are driving next to me in a way that is impossible for me to see them. It may make it my fault when I quickly change lanes and kill you, but it is a death that could be easily avoided by you.
I just don't remember people driving like this until recently. When I find that i am going the same speed as the vehicle next to me, I make sure that I am either behind them or ahead of them, never exactly where they cannot see me at all.

Orophin1990

Lurker
Jan 6, 2020
England
I'm glad that you found something that you love. The one thing I have noticed lately is people just have no clue where the blind spot is on a car or truck. When I was learning to drive, everyone told me never ride in a lane next to a vehicle where the front of you vehicle is even with their front door... on either side. I have nearly run several cars and motorcycles off the road because they have no clue that they are driving next to me in a way that is impossible for me to see them. It may make it my fault when I quickly change lanes and kill you, but it is a death that could be easily avoided by you.
I just don't remember people driving like this until recently. When I find that i am going the same speed as the vehicle next to me, I make sure that I am either behind them or ahead of them, never exactly where they cannot see me at all.

Thank you, so am I! I’m so glad I finally did it.

To continue your theme, I’m constantly astonished at people’s lack of basic observational skills and situational awareness. I’d have though the notion that you can’t see over your damn shoulder would be obvious.

Take my near miss. The fact that someone can check a road (I saw the guy look) and somehow miss a massive, noisy, rumbling hunk of chrome heading down the middle of it is utterly beyond me.

Reactions: Ronv69

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I know that it's probably a good idea to cut down on the smoking, but after 5 or 6 glasses of scotch the risk assessment part of my brain shuts off and I go into bowl packing/smoking autopilot. This usually results in me feeling disgusted with myself the next day and waking up with breath that my fiance affectionately describes as manure/roadkill. Then I take 3-5 days off, even though the soft tissue damage is already done.
I know that dead cells in the mouth can be a cause of halitosis, I have experienced this when I was sick with the flu. I wonder if this is the cause of that heinous "pipe breath". And if it is, that could be a sign of extensive soft tissue damage.
Either way, since it appears that the alcohol is probably the root of my smoking problem, I have decided to give it up for 90 days as part of the Exodus 90 challenge. I will see if this helps, I am starting today.
Good luck! I had this same experience on saturday night. Went to a party for the first time in a while (we have an 8 month old baby). I have been cutting down on the drinking lately so I drank a little more than usual. Got home and smoked 3 bowls (I usually only do that over 3 weeks). In the morning I regretted it immediately. My mouth was all dry and tasted like an ashtray that had been left in the rain. Except drier than all hell. Throat and tongue irritated. Blech.

Boy were those bowls good though. Amazing how a few drinks can make a usually reasonable and intelligent human brain say "Whooooooo! Fuck it, man! Yeah!!!!!!"

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
haha why do you think in college I drove drunk to Wendy's every night? :ROFLMAO: alcohol impairs your judgement and makes bad things sound even better .

@Dissident_Mantis I think you are making the right call about dropping alcohol at least for now.
I noticed a lot of problems go away once I quit drinking. ;)

also your drinking is pulling all the mucus out of your mouth and then you are smoking pipe tobacco right onto your bare membranes. I smoked a pipe once after having a couple beers and burned the shit out of my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.