How Do You Guys Feel Today About This Virus?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

How do you feel on 3/12/2020

• All hell is about to break loose

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • It's going to get weird but it will blow over

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • There's not much to it at all

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Good luck! I know you're busy right now.

3sgxw8.jpg

I work at a university and it's pretty creepy around here ...no students, tons of events cancelled. Of course as an IT guy at a school of computer science I am helping people adjust for remote classes and whatnot. Hope I end up with some extra work from home days but really feel bad for people who have been negatively affected by this.

I did however get 3.5 lbs of tobacco in the mail yesterday so I am good to go puffy

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Time to put my pipes on vacation. I do not enjoy the pipe as often as some, but I think better safe than sorry. Not hard to anticipate that one might be stronger/ better off if faced with something that challenges lungs. I'll keep enjoying posts on the forum though.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
No one is saying this is not serious and that elderly and people with compromised systems could die but many of them would also have the same problem with any flu...panic is a terrible thing. I have seen panic several times around the world and the results are usually worse than what people are afraid of. Healthy people are surviving this virus just as they do the seasonal flu. Be smart and avoid crowds, and follow good hygiene.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
well i already had a vacation planned for next week to stay home and get the crops in the ground the wife says we have enough food and what nots for a couple months so i guess i will just stop by the liqour store and buy a few more 1.75 bottles of bourbon on the way home and just stay home for a couple weeks. Not that i am panicking just drink more on vacation

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I'm cautiously pessimistic. Here's the thing: If this is even half as bad as the worst case scenario, and a large percentage of those cases hit at once, it will cause a complete breakdown of out system here in the US. Our medical system operates at close to capacity as it is, without any additional stress from a supervirus. So that's why I think all the INSANE cancellations that are occuring right now are necessary. We have to slow the spread of this thing so we don't end up with 5 million people needing respirators at once, which would cause doctors to have to make decisions about who lives and who dies.

I'm not really worried about myself too much. I'm 39, no serious preexisting conditions that could effect this. If I get it, I'll most likely be fine. But both of my parents are in their late 70s, and I work at a church where the congregation is older as well. I don't want to lose friends and loved ones to this, and I want to make sure the people who need critical care are able to receive.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
well i already had a vacation planned for next week to stay home and get the crops in the ground the wife says we have enough food and what nots for a couple months so i guess i will just stop by the liqour store and buy a few more 1.75 bottles of bourbon on the way home and just stay home for a couple weeks. Not that i am panicking just drink more on vacation
Wish I could do the same, but work in the public sector so am holding on for the ride. My 87 year old dad and I were just talking about the past and his memories of the polio outbreak, he lost a neighbor, and agreed that nothing should be taken lightly. But remember to look out for your neighbors, even if they shop at piggly wiggly;)

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
On the other hand, I am heartened by the response of both private businesses and local governments in taking some pretty serious measures to slow the spread and deal with this. The federal government is currently showing what happens when you a. strip important federal agencies of the resources to do their work and b. politicize every federal agency possible.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
It does feel significantly different. An old friend is in the hospital with the virus, my office is closed, I'm working from home first time in 35 years, worried about my kids taking public transportation, and contemplating going to the grocery store to stock up. Never done any of that stuff before... And that's before freaking out a little at the voting booth this morning when people were trying to hand me flyers to push their candidates.

Reactions: BROBS and Bengel

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always remember my neighbor at my first house, an orchard man from near Syracuse retired to N.C. who was still painting houses for pay in his eighties, gasp. He'd been in the Army during the Spanish flu epidemic during WWI. He bedded down in the tent with his unit and by morning two of them were dead. When I said I might be coming down with the flu, he backed away from me as if I'd threatened him with a weapon. He lived into his 90's with mind and memory completely intact. We'd have him over and play that memory game with a deck of cards which he'd alway win, despite my late wife being wickedly good at it. Me, I was the clunker. But I could see what it was like with the epidemic in 1918.

Reactions: BROBS

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
This whole thing is turning into a dog and pony show. I don't get political but the demsare blaming it all on Trump and the financial people as usual are making a mess of markets. It will blow over.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...and if you get tired of reading, or binging TV series, there are always board (bored?) games and jigsaw puzzles, culling clutter which could keep us busy for ten years, and communing with your animals. I believe the body temps of domestic house pets are high enough they cook the virus so don't carry it.

Reactions: BROBS

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
And now I am hearing that our federal government (Canadian) has issued a bulletin telling approximately 300,000 federal employees to work from home unless you are deemed to work in a critical function. Things are occurring at a faster pace. This of course is an attempt to try and slow down the spread of the virus.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Haha, no better way to prepare for the coronavirus than gathering in large groups in the same building touching carts and gobbling up food samples.
that's what I've been saying..
stay away from a large crowd, unless it's to purchase TP.

Reactions: Bowie

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
yeah who did he blame? Obama.. come on man.
What c'mon? c'mon nothing; I'm just stating the fact; Like I said I'm apolitical but if you are defending Demovomit here at my comments cost you are gravely mistaken. Look up hegelian dialectic and it will change the way you see things or vote forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.