How Do You Guys Feel Today About This Virus?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

How do you feel on 3/12/2020

• All hell is about to break loose

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • It's going to get weird but it will blow over

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • There's not much to it at all

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
To be honest I'm not that worried about getting sick and it being a pandemic or whatever but they've just cancelled the opening race of the F1 season in Australia! So I'm gutted about that☹️.
The European Championships (football) are due to start in June and there's talk of postponing it for a whole year.
People fighting like Roman gladiators over loo roll is one thing but cancelling major sporting events? Shit just got real!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
To be honest I'm not that worried about getting sick and it being a pandemic or whatever but they've just cancelled the opening race of the F1 season in Australia! So I'm gutted about that☹️.
The European Championships (football) are due to start in June and there's talk of postponing it for a whole year.
People fighting like Roman gladiators over loo roll is one thing but cancelling major sporting events? Shit just got real!

The basketball tournament too man, damn. Now what are we going to bet on? I guess its time to get the chickens ready and build a ring.

Reactions: 3rdguy
Jan 27, 2020
Living in a city I wish I didn’t at this point. I’ve been riding my bike a lot to avoid public transportation which will likely mean I’ll be in better condition after this blows over if I don’t get sick. My main concern is this screwing up my ability to make a living and the fact that I have close family member who is in the at risk category. Luckily they were able to go on medical leave and I guess I will go there every couple of weeks to shop for them without coming in direct contact.

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie

Mr_Smokey

Lurker
Feb 17, 2020
London, UK
People are stock piling in the UK. I live in a house of four people, if one of us goes down with Coronavirus I think the decent thing would be to buy a month's worth of supplies and keep everyone at home.

The government advice is to stay at home for seven days if you have: a) High temperature b) Persistent cough.
I'm guessing that's where the stock piling is coming from, you'd need at least a month's worth of supplies to quarantine four people as they wouldn't necessarily develop symptoms at the same time.

The vast majority of these people wouldn't show up on the statistics because the advice is to contact the Coronavirus helpline if you haven't recovered within seven days or your symptoms need professional medical treatment.

That's what I think might be going on with all this stock piling.

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
20-50% of the US is going to get it. That is a FACT. The issue is we don't want the infection to happen all at one time because it potentially could over stress our healthcare system. That is why they are closing down large gatherings. Large groups cause the virus to explode exponentially.

If 50 million people get sick all at one time, we are screwed and lots of people will die.
If 50 million people get sick over a 4-6 week period (or longer), we're fine.
If 50% of the US gets sick over the next 12 months, all good.

Re severity of the outbreak, Look at Italy, the hospitals are saturated, some areas they are turning patients away. Elective procedures, canceled. And Italy continues to see rapid growth in cases of the virus. Hospitals in the USA, what happens in cases of emergencies such as stroke, heart attack, life threatening accidents that are at risk of slow response, or worse?

The slow testing of the USA populace has placed citizens at great risk. My state, West Virginia, has only tested 12 people as of March 5th. Surrounded by states that have covid-19 confirmed cases, only tested 12 people, the WV governor states we have no cases ?. And the US task force saying there are enough test kits available, for those that need them. Wonder if the virus know who needs the kits?

My question, why did the USA not only order the World Health Organization kits available 4 weeks prior And make it widely available, free quick testing as in South Korea?

Last edited:

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
So Trudeau's wife has it, but he hasn't been tested? Why?
Because the Canadian medical systems have been saying they will only test people if they show symptoms to conserve on scarce test kits. And he doesn’t want to look like he’s getting special treatment that regular Canadians are unable to get. But you know it’s a load of crap, it’s just PR, of course he’s been tested.

Reactions: Bowie and 3rdguy
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Because the Canadian medical systems have been saying they will only test people if they show symptoms to conserve on scarce test kits. And he doesn’t want to look like he’s getting special treatment that regular Canadians are unable to get. But you know it’s a load of crap, it’s just PR, of course he’s been tested.

Yep, there are times when the picture being painted makes no sense. It would be irresponsible not to test the PM or president. They say Trump hasnt been tested either, he must have it. Whether you like him or hate him, you'd have to admit, he wouldn't be able to keep from bragging about his perfect health. If he had a negative test. Haha

Last edited:

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Theres a few cases where i live and the k-12 schools are closed, not sure about the state university downtown.

Yesterday the senior center located in my building went on an outing to eat ice cream, which is great, because with the ventilation system in the building we are all probably going to get it. Never realized how attached i am to some of these old farts before.

It is nice going shopping lately tho, i usually go early anyway, but there seems to be less people shopping than usual.

Have to remember to pick up a fever thermometer today.

Reactions: BROBS

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's worrisome. We have lots of food, medicine and diapers. Oh, and toilet paper!

My unit is working from home until April, some of our kids' schools have closed and we've pulled the others today (we have a lot of kids, so it's like a Montessori school around here ?).

I'm not worried about our health, but I'm really worried about infecting friends and relatives with bad lungs or compromised immune systems. Three weeks ago I wasn't really concerned, but Italy changed my mind on things. Some epidemiologists are predicting that half the population will get the virus -- I sure hope they're wrong

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
nana A little over a week ago I started such a thread. There were 265 cases in the US. Now there is 1,663. I was told things like, "Nope. If the media would quit making wild accusations about it spreading. We have all seen this before....swine flu, bird flu, sars, Ebola...etc." and where to find the aluminum foil. My favorite was, "I hear Costco are doing a two for one on tin foil hats!"

So now I say pass the koolaide and lets keep singing Kumbayah.
And I was one who was in the nope its not a thing crowd. Now I have to admit its becoming a serious issue fast. However, the hysteria and mass buying of household items like toilet paper is a bit over the top still. We are getting low on said product. My wife went to nearly every store withing 20 miles of our home and all were sold out of it. This is ridiculous!

Edit: I voted All Hell is going to break loose. I voted so not because I think that we are facing a zombie apocalypse level virus, its serious but our health organizations have remained in mostly in front of it. I say all hell will break loose because of the mass hysteria surrounding it. A man was stabbed in WalMart over water?!?!?!

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Re testing, South Korea tests 10,000 people a day, and have been doing so since February. The US has tested 5,000 to date. To match that rate, given respective population sizes, we should be testing 70,000 per day.

Reactions: whsergent and BROBS
Starting yesterday morning the grocery stores ran out of all meat products and all dried foods like beans and rice. There was a shotgun stand off in the parking lot of the neighboring city's Publix. My neighbor said that he thought this was all a hoax till the president spoke and talk radio changed its mind on this being real.

My wife is out looking for meat in any of the surrounding towns. She normally doesn't carry, but I made sure she didn't leave unarmed. I keep hearing about more and more good people losing their minds out here. I would have gone with her, but she gave me the errand of making sure our elderly friends are all taken care of and making lists of what they need.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Starting yesterday morning the grocery stores ran out of all meat products and all dried foods like beans and rice. There was a shotgun stand off in the parking lot of the neighboring city's Publix. My neighbor said that he thought this was all a hoax till the president spoke and talk radio changed its mind on this being real.

My wife is out looking for meat in any of the surrounding towns. She normally doesn't carry, but I made sure she didn't leave unarmed. I keep hearing about more and more good people losing their minds out here. I would have gone with her, but she gave me the errand of making sure our elderly friends are all taken care of and making lists of what they need.

This is crazy, in the southern part of the state none of this has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.