How Do You Guys Feel Today About This Virus?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

How do you feel on 3/12/2020

• All hell is about to break loose

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • It's going to get weird but it will blow over

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • There's not much to it at all

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
To be honest I'm not that worried about getting sick and it being a pandemic or whatever but they've just cancelled the opening race of the F1 season in Australia! So I'm gutted about that☹️.
The European Championships (football) are due to start in June and there's talk of postponing it for a whole year.
People fighting like Roman gladiators over loo roll is one thing but cancelling major sporting events? Shit just got real!

Forget the virus, we may as well cancel F1 this year just due to it being the last year of the 2014 era nose regulations that gave us the ugliest cars in F1 history for the last seven years.

F1 should have been cancelled the moment anyone saw anything like this:

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I work at a university and it's pretty creepy around here ...no students, tons of events cancelled. Of course as an IT guy at a school of computer science I am helping people adjust for remote classes and whatnot. Hope I end up with some extra work from home days but really feel bad for people who have been negatively affected by this.

I did however get 3.5 lbs of tobacco in the mail yesterday so I am good to go puffy

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Because the Canadian medical systems have been saying they will only test people if they show symptoms to conserve on scarce test kits. And he doesn’t want to look like he’s getting special treatment that regular Canadians are unable to get. But you know it’s a load of crap, it’s just PR, of course he’s been tested.

Whether or not he gets tested is a moot point. He will be self-isolating for 2 weeks so he will either have the virus or he won't have the virus during that period. Parliament has a one week break coming up. They are discussing whether or not to suspend Parliament for a longer period of time. We are heading into uncharted territory.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People hate not to know, but we don't. Epidemics usually arrive as surprise and engender strong denial as they take an increasing toll. However some epidemics seem to flow and ebb on their own or respond to human efforts to stem them. The old coach's admonition applies, expect the best but plan for the worst. Both are distinct possibilities, as is something in between. I didn't vote on this; I think a settled point of view is a mistake. Pay close attention, even if, especially if, you believe it is all a bunch of bunk.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd sure wash your hands a lot, and thoroughly, even if you think Covid is a hoax, since it will prevent common colds and flu. Win-win, I'd say.

Reactions: BROBS and mau1

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well given that I've worked in media most of my life I probably know this one hell of a lot better than you. These are lovely statistics and completely worthless, since you're quoting total figures for a virus run years ago, against beginning figures, which are widely considered to be grossly under reported because of the CDC;s bungled test kits.

Blaming the media is always a good tactic as it's easy, doesn't require any brains or effort, and is often correct. Plus, the blamer gets to bask in the welcome glow of unearned superiority.

But how about blaming your own choices regarding who you elect to handle governmental duties. That actually takes some thought and effort.

As for totally chill, bullshit. There was plenty of fear to go around. People stampede.

All that said, I do agree that the coverage seemed alarmist initially, and I chalk that up to an attempt to catch people's and government's attention to fighting this pandemic as early as possible, rather than sitting around, peeling bananas and scratching our armpits.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Being in the healthcare industry I can say it will uncover mass ineptitude of many people who should not be leading in healthcare (im not going to get into politics). What I am seeing though with the conversations I've had or been a part of across many large healthcare and governmental agencies is people who have no clue what they are doing. Because of that it's going to be bad here. That said, the COVID-19 virus itself.. I'm not all that worried about getting it. I already work from home.

Also if you have a mindset of preparedness, then when everyone else panics, you're in good shape because they are panicking about the things you've already prepared for.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Piggly Wiggly was in N.C. until about 15 years ago. Now in my city it is part of a two-level restaurant. Before it closed, it was a kind of mom-and-pop shabby but endearing little dump. I think the name was always a big draw. I miss the ancient A&P and the regional Winn-Dixie. Farewell to all that. Now we have the local Tiendita that serves the same purpose, with a hair styling room in the back and small crawling tykes under the check-out, which I find kind of home-spun. I like their Mexican Cokes.

Reactions: BROBS
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
If I can throw in a kudos for Piggly Wiggly's... they have great butcher departments, which most newer grocers don't have. But, it makes all of their stores smell funny.

Well, not the entire state.

Yep, you guys are real fancy up there.

They really do have the best meat. Real btuchers, and custom cuts. Most meat at the others has been frozen and thawed to look fresh.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV

Mortality fate for H1N1, .02%. Mortality rate for Covid-19, 3.4%.

60,800,000 x 3.4% = 2,067,000 deaths given that the same number is infected with covid-19.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

Obviously flawed statistics as this compares stats from a completed outbreak to that of one just starting. But beyond that, maybe the 60 million cases and 12,500 deaths have something to do with why there is "mass hysteria" instead of everyone being "totally chill" this time. Perhaps lessons learned and the desire to hope for the best but prepare for the worst is responsible for this rather than the afamed "TDS"

The widespread and rampant dissemination of completely unscientific and unchecked information created by some politically motivated dude in a basement (or by those leading the country) based on gut feelings and arbitrary whims and little to no knowledge of the outbreak itself or the medical science that pertains to it certainly isn't helping anything either.

As a side note, I don't recall a "totally chill" vibe from H1N1 anyway. I remember media headlines every day, multiple sketches on SNL, and plenty of hysteria during that outbreak as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.