How Can People Taste Anything Without Retrohaling?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was trying to in a way match the tone of the original post.
How do people get any flavor aside from ash and smoke without retrohales?
I almost never smoke indoors and find the best way to increase any flavor or nuance is just to slow down. Ironically even a light retro hale gives me more ash and tar and less of the good stuff.
I think it kind of annoys me when people start working on the supposition that things work the same for everyone as they do for themselves. Gets me slightly peevish. :)
Fair enough. But, I have the opposite experience and most of the peole who have shared with me about it also like what happens when they snork. After all, it's just the same smoke stream you've been tasting in your mouth now heading out your nose. And you have more sensors there than in your mouth.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah, yeah, I've read the science behind olfactory sensors coadyuvating the sense of taste, but not only do I know from personal experience that it IS possible to taste the blends' flavours without retrohaling—even the tin note from aromatics that others also find "impossible" to taste—, I also know at least one anosmic person who can taste just fine even though She can't smell.
First of all, I'm pretty sure coadyuvating is not a real word.

Second, I could have told you that your taste is all in your mouth. nnnn

Seriously though, I think "tasting" smoke is very different than tasting food.

I usually only intentionally retrohale a few times each bowl, but the rest of the time I have no problem "tasting" the flavors.

But I'm sure I'm retrohaling at least a little bit without really thinking about it while clenching...and I smoke indoors so I'm also getting some inhale through the nostrils.

Point is, I suspect that even if you don't retrohale, your olfactory senses are still playing a large role in "tasting" the smoke.

Reactions: TheWhale13

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Fair enough. But, I have the opposite experience and most of the peole who have shared with me about it also like what happens when they snork. After all, it's just the same smoke stream you've been tasting in your mouth now heading out your nose. And you have more sensors there than in your mouth.
And it's more complex that that even. Taste is also effected by moods and visual presentation. The same food on a nicer plate tastes better (and it's not just in peoples heads, well not the way people usually mean when they say that). There is a lot going on with the senses and it's not all physiological. I would venture that the act of intentionally doing any action to get more flavor will work simply through intention (as one of the key factors)i.e. focusing.
Also anything that you put in your mouth will be smelled (the size of a scent particle is unimaginably small and easily dispersed). Demonstrable example Skittles and most seltzers aren't flavored they have smells added to them. Even if you plug your nose those compounds will come in contact with the scent nerve cluster. Last thing smoke can dry out the nasal membrane which can actually make the sense of smell weaker (temporarily moisture is needed for that organ to work properly) which means that in some people snorking might lead to needing to snork to get full flavor because their snorking dried out their nose.
No I haven't. But that has no bearing on anything. These are people who are looking for a top spot in a restaurant kitchen who beat out hundreds of other applicants to get the opportunity to compete.
Which if you had it would not surprise you at all that many chefs have dulled their senses mostly through hard living. It's a freaking stressful job. I remember people in offices freaking out about deadlines and thinking in kitchens you have nothing but deadlines minutes apart.
Additionally just like most creative professions it seems like the most sense damaged, uninspired, chronically insipid, and generally average folks have the biggest heads and the most confidence in their eminent deification. Seriously all of the worst chefs I have worked with all thought that they'd win for sure if they got on that show. It's actually funny how many times I've heard a co-worker make fun of someone on that show for doing something they do regularly and under less pressure.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I do not consciously retrohale. I taste things. You don't taste with your nose, you smell things with your nose. Maybe you find the tastes are enhanced by retroha;ing., but that's psychological. I don't retrohale a BLT, but I still taste it. puffy

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I do not consciously retrohale. I taste things. You don't taste with your nose, you smell things with your nose. Maybe you find the tastes are enhanced by retroha;ing., but that's psychological. I don't retrohale a BLT, but I still taste it. puffy
From what I have read, a majority of taste comes from your smell. Even though you don't retrohale your BLT you still pass that air from your mouth trough your nose. The only things you taste on your tongue supposedly are the basic five tastes.

There is of course a difference between food and smoke, like how smoke doesn't have any actual sweetness coming from sugar, or any real mouthfeel, but the flavors are probably still coming from you, in some way, smelling it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
From what I have read, a majority of taste comes from your smell. Even though you don't retrohale your BLT you still pass that air from your mouth trough your nose. The only things you taste on your tongue supposedly are the basic five tastes.

There is of course a difference between food and smoke, like how smoke doesn't have any actual sweetness coming from sugar, or any real mouthfeel, but the flavors are probably still coming from you, in some way, smelling it.
Whatever. I smoke my pipe. I don't consciously retrohale. I taste things. The whole "this is how it has to be done" tone of the OP annoyed me, and I replied without caffeine or tobacco.

• Love
Reactions: dino and anotherbob

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Whatever. I smoke my pipe. I don't consciously retrohale. I taste things. The whole "this is how it has to be done" tone of the OP annoyed me, and I replied without caffeine or tobacco.
I'm sorry, I really don't mean to annoy you. I don't mean to sound like a know it all, just trying to bring some discussion here.

Cappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Louisiana
Some people on the internet and forums have said that they believe retrohaling to be unnecessary, but I can't see at all how one could taste anything except ash and smoke without retrohaling.

The only flavors we can taste on the tongue is: sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and umami. All other aromas come from exhaling through the nose. So when you can't taste anything because you have congestion, it's probably because you can't exhale from your nose. I don't see how smoking a pipe is much different?

I don't mean to bash on anyone here, at all, I am just wondering what you all think?
I never retrohale and get plenty of flavor. Just this morning, I smoked an utterly delicious bowl of Scottish Flake.

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
I never use any of the techniques mentioned (retrohaling, smork or breathing). And I never have any issues tasting the tobaccos I smoke.
It takes time to identify the various flavours. Combined with adequate packing technique, pipe and smoking 'regimen', it all eventually falls into place.

Reactions: edger

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't get whay people are getting their panties bunched over this, I really don't. If you're happy with how you're smoking your pipes, rock on. Don't want to know about anything different, rock on.

The OP is just asking a legitimate question, not challenging anyone's legitimacy.

Of course people can taste by mouth and they can also taste by schnoz. Schnoz is less effective outdoors than indoors, so some like to retrohale from time to time to pick up some other flavor components that aren't within the range of flavor receptors in one's mouth. Big deal. If that threatens anyone, that's their problem to take up with matron.