How Can People Taste Anything Without Retrohaling?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
New Cigars
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
I've been trying to learn how to retrohale for the past couple of months and just can't seem to do it. For some reason the smoke refuses to move out of my mouth. I wish there was some way to see inside someone's mouth whilst they are doing it. I can only do it if I actually take the smoke into my lungs, which I don't like to do.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've been trying to learn how to retrohale for the past couple of months and just can't seem to do it. For some reason the smoke refuses to move out of my mouth. I wish there was some way to see inside someone's mouth whilst they are doing it. I can only do it if I actually take the smoke into my lungs, which I don't like to do.
I've found that it helps to inhale air first before drawing on the pipe...then make sure your mouth is well closed before retrohaling. I find it more difficult to do while clenching because my lips aren't entirely sealed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not sure why anyone needs to do anything to enhance their taste experience.
Because for many of us it works. I get a lot of flavors by mouth, but many, many more nuances come through when I snork. And it's not blowing the smoke out like a whale clearing its blow hole, it's a very gentle easing out so all of those receptors in my schnoz can pick up variations that out mouth isn't outfitted by nature to understand.
If you're happy with what you're doing, rock on. I like the extra dimensions to the blends that I get when I snork.
If you're an indoor smoker, you're picking it up anyway. I'm not.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Because for many of us it works. I get a lot of flavors by mouth, but many, many more nuances come through when I snork. And it's not blowing the smoke out like a whale clearing its blow hole, it's a very gentle easing out so all of those receptors in my schnoz can pick up variations that out mouth isn't outfitted by nature to understand.
If you're happy with what you're doing, rock on. I like the extra dimensions to the blends that I get when I snork.

I remember in a video I watched recently, they had once worn a blindfold with their nose pinched and took a bite of something. They were asked whether it was a red or green apple. They couldn't figure out which type of apple it was.

It was an onion.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I remember in a video I watched recently, they had once worn a blindfold with their nose pinched and took a bite of something. They were asked whether it was a red or green apple. They couldn't figure out which type of apple it was.

It was an onion.
And then there are those who wouldn't know it was an onion even if they were staring at it.

I've watched that blindfolded taste test, done without pinching off one's nose, on Hell's Kitchen and I marvel at how many professional chefs can't tell apple sauce from mashed potatoes.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

It was an onion.
I've seen a similar "blind" tasting with nostrils "pinched" conducted with tea/coffee with similar results.

I was very upset when I'd lost my sense of smell and not being able to distinguish a rare $1000 bottle of 18yo Yamazaki Sherry Cask from a basic $30 blended Suntory whisky.

I could have saved myself heaps by not having sinus surgery and being content with drinking cheaply ?

• Haha
Reactions: sablebrush52

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
I've seen a similar "blind" tasting with nostrils "pinched" conducted with tea/coffee with similar results.

I was very upset when I'd lost my sense of smell and not being able to distinguish a rare $1000 bottle of 18yo Yamazaki Sherry Cask from a basic $30 blended Suntory whisky.
I could have saved myself heaps iby not having sinus surgery and being content with drinking cheaply ?
I am smoking PS17 English Luxury as we speak. It’s the only blend that hasn’t scorched my nose on the way out and is utterly pleasant and delicious. Not sure if my nose is now used to it or it’s the blend.

Reactions: OzPiper

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
The mental image of a whale doing a submarine emergency blow of smoke is perfect. ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I was trying to in a way match the tone of the original post.
How do people get any flavor aside from ash and smoke without retrohales?
I almost never smoke indoors and find the best way to increase any flavor or nuance is just to slow down. Ironically even a light retro hale gives me more ash and tar and less of the good stuff.
I think it kind of annoys me when people start working on the supposition that things work the same for everyone as they do for themselves. Gets me slightly peevish. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
And then there are those who wouldn't know it was an onion even if they were staring at it.

I've watched that blindfolded taste test, done without pinching off one's nose, on Hell's Kitchen and I marvel at how many professional chefs can't tell apple sauce from mashed potatoes.
I take it you haven't worked in many kitchens. I've worked with enough chefs who have burnt their taste buds away.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think it kind of annoys me when people start working on the supposition that things work the same for everyone as they do for themselves. Gets me slightly peevish. :)
Ergo the tone of my first reply to this post.

Yeah, yeah, I've read the science behind olfactory sensors coadyuvating the sense of taste, but not only do I know from personal experience that it IS possible to taste the blends' flavours without retrohaling—even the tin note from aromatics that others also find "impossible" to taste—, I also know at least one anosmic person who can taste just fine even though She can't smell.

personal_incredulity.jpg