Honest Question: Why do we Care what a Smoker calls Himself?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
60 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Dave,

Catty corner is more likely than kitty corner. What the hell is kitty corner? Catty corner is diagonal in nature. Please don’t tell me we’ve gone to kitty corner to please the offended feral cats. Besides, kitty seems to discriminate based on age and might actually qualify as sexist. Why not go straight to a hen house?

You smoke if you use a pipe. It’s merely the mechanism, method or device used that apparently defines you. Smoking a pipe; however, doesn’t make you a SMOKER. It makes you a tobacco user.

Why does something always have to be named? Can we not enjoy something without making it an objectionable or controversial topic? Call it whatever you want - but, don’t be a contributor to the negative stigma. Is that fair, David?

I’m not inwardly nor outwardly bothered by it to be honest. I just try to enjoy it while I can for as long as I can. We should care less about what non-tobacco users think and more about how we share space with them.

I’m not that annoyed, David. But, how we define ourselves and present respect to others who feel differently does matter. ?‍♂️

Reactions: Rustamgtx

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I like to call myself a "tobacco connoisseur" which sounds as pretentious as it is mend. When i'm having a tasty bowl during lunchbreak and standing with the other tobacco plebs (eg cigarette smoker) I kinda look down at them with my fancy pipe or cigar.

In all seriousness, just call it what you want. I honestly don't give a shit, but your are a oddball when enjoying your tobacco in any other form than cigarettes. Funny thing is "piper" has a whole other meaning in my language, this could also be synonym for someone who is a master in the act of fellatio.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
I like to call myself a "tobacco connoisseur" which sounds as pretentious as it is mend. When i'm having a tasty bowl during lunchbreak and standing with the other tobacco plebs (eg cigarette smoker) I kinda look down at them with my fancy pipe or cigar.

In all seriousness, just call it what you want. I honestly don't give a shit, but your are a oddball when enjoying your tobacco in any other form than cigarettes. Funny thing is "piper" has a whole other meaning in my language, this could also be synonym for someone who is a master in the act of fellatio.
Dan with the win. Thank you for pointing out the cultural dynamic. We all often think with our short minds to our own world. However, proper English says “an” oddball not “a”oddball. ? the prestigious elite care. The rest of us enjoy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dan with the win. Thank you for pointing out the cultural dynamic. We all often think with our short minds to our own world. However, proper English says “an” oddball not “a”oddball. ? the prestigious elite care. The rest of us enjoy.
I give no mind to errors of spelling or grammar when posted by one of our many non native-english speaking members, none! Some write better than American-schooled members!

Anyhoo- (just to irritate someone!) this has been an unusual thread, and already one bloke has overreacted. Sadly, somewhat, I am closing it. But not before I say I dislike the term "lunting" in all forms- I Lunt, you Lunt, we Lunt, etc.. But not enough to have ever said so. Nor have an aneurysm over it; just hoping another term is accepted.

Go in peace!

~~a pipe smoker.

P.S. Most pipers are requested to play "Amazing Grace" more than any other tune!

Last edited:

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
I give no mind to errors of spelling or grammar when posted by one of our many non native-english speaking members, none! Some write better than American-schooled members!

Anyhoo- (just to irritate someone!) this has been an unusual thread, and already one bloke has overreacted. Sadly, somewhat, I am closing it. But not before I say I dislike the term "lunting" in all forms- I Lunt, you Lunt, we Lunt, etc.. But not enough to have ever said so. Nor have an aneurysm over it; just hoping another term is accepted.

Go in peace!

~~a pipe smoker.

P.S. Most pipers are requested to play "Amazing Grace" more than any other tune!
What? You lost me. Did It overreact? ?‍♂️

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN

Go in peace!

~~a pipe smoker.

Did you think I was irritated? ?

Seems the humor missed it mark. Sometimes I wonder why some people get so bent when it flies past them. If you are referring to me and suggesting I had an aneurysm over something - ?. Seems you’ve got some bunching going on somewhere and I hope you can un-wad it.

Annie who? Win officially transferred to closed thread….?

Piece ✌️

P.S. Matches are better.

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
How can I say..? To be more courteous and to not hurt the strings of anyone's soul. I don't care how society named persons who smoking the pipe... But my 9mm is always can dispute about ☠? ...JOKE...
Also can say, that on my native language piper sounds just ridiculous. So the better option is "a kindly person with pipe in the mouth"
And also can say, and you may ask my countryman brother, that people in my country, looking to the "kindly person with pipe in the mouth" more than dumbfounded.

Reactions: kcghost
Jun 25, 2021
England
The way I see it is, if you say to the man on the street,
I am a smoker he thinks you mean cigarettes
if you say a pipe smoker he knows exactly what you mean
if you say you're a Piper he thinks you play the bagpipes
if you say you're a pipester he does'nt have a clue what you're talking about.
But as far as this forum is concerned, I think the term smoker is perfectly adequate.