PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
makes sense. I went with the huts instead of talking about spears.
Though I think the worst depiction of Africa in any movie is Ernest Goes to Africa (it's one of those things people think you're making up).
? I can't even imagine how bad that movie is!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If it was really so bad why did it win seven Oscars? Why did Robert Redford, Meryl Streep & Jim Varney agree to star in it?
I don't think I've ever asked this question before in such a context.... What are you smoking? And how long will it take before it completely ruins your life if you don't stop smoking it? I am pretty sure you're thinking of another movie entirely. Unless there is are Oscar categories for direct to video movies, or that was the year the Oscars tried to muscle in on the Razzies Turf.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
? I can't even imagine how bad that movie is!
I have seen it and I can't imagine it either. It's really a very low quality movie and very low quality comedy. There are two scenes I remember.
One scene Ernest sees some Swahili tribes men. And claims he speaks Swahili which he learned working in a record store. And then he tries to talk to them in the worst Ebonics ever. It's sounds better then it was. And then Ernest does the worst imitation of an Indian person as disguise and again no matter how it sounds to you it sounds better then it was. Everything about it screams thrown together in a week.
Almost forgot. I've known a few fans of the series who watched it and thought it was just crap. After hearing about it and assuming that I wasn't reporting on it 100 percent accurately. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Reactions: Bwana Kiko

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
My step son was in South Africa with the Peace Corp when covid hit, and the state dept jerked them all back home. For the month he was there, he spent most of it just adjusting to where he was. I know that he is itching to get back over there. Welcome.

View attachment 95097
Yeah, I worked with a lot of Peace Corps folks. They often got evacuated quickly because the State Department was trying to avoid any disasters that would be bad press.

Hope he gets back soon.

Yeah, I worked with a lot of Peace Corps folks. They often got evacuated quickly because the State Department was trying to avoid any disasters that would be bad press.

Hope he gets back soon.
Oh no, he came back with the first wave of covid, before we were really even sure what it was. He has been working with a firm that restructures inner city health plans now (or something like that). But, it really was a shame. He had learned French, German, and several African languages, and it had been his goal to work in Africa with the PC since he was 10 years old. He had even been on a waiting list to be in the village that he was with for a few years.
He will most likely go back as soon as he can get reassigned to an area that he wants to be in.

Reactions: OzPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.