PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
Africa seems like a beautful place - too bad I grew up in 80's and 90's and TV propaganda presented it as an uninhabitable wasteland warzone rife with disease
It is. I've spent 30 of my years in Africa living in 4 different countries, war zones included. There is certainly lots of hurt, but I love it. I lived 9 years in the US for university and they couldn't believe that I would leave my job in the US (I was in Washington State) to come back.

I don't regret that decision.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Welcome! Not much available here. Southern Africa has some nice stuff, Kenya used to produce, but I can't find any. I have to get it sent out with people traveling from the US or but Macbarens Scottish Blend at the airport duty free.
That’s a real shame. How much can friends bring in with them? The Scottish blend is a nice tobacco, isn’t it?

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
That’s a real shame. How much can friends bring in with them? The Scottish blend is a nice tobacco, isn’t it?
Well, we haven't had any problem bringing it in. I just got 6 ounces of Stokkebye, so I'm set for a little while.

The Scottish Blend is nice. Such a solid smoke. Correctly packed you can almost do the whole pipe without tamping!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Greetings from the beautiful country of Uganda!

I'm on this site with a VPN, because it is blocked here, presumably as part of the government's efforts against smoking.

An accident followed by a botched surgery changed my life and I started pipe smoking as a solace...

I'm in my 40's, love my wife of half my life, live the wilds of Africa, and enjoy my Savinelli (poker) and my Kikos while looking out over Lake Victoria.

It's nice to join you all. This is such a pleasant group!
welcome. I think at least since I've been here, you're the first person to tell us they're from Uganda. And Lake Victoria looks amazing in all the pictures of it I've seen.

Reactions: Bwana Kiko

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
don't forget that most people live in mud huts according to t.v. writers.
One issue I've noticed with t.v. writers is they tend to write things more like they were when they were children. Like 90's t.v. shows where schools act like it's the 1970's. And I think back then people really thought Africa was not a modern in any way continent and also they based their stories off of the serials they read as kids. Or at least that's a partial theory on why t.v. writing can be weird.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Welcome to the forum, from Southern California. I was absolutely obsessed with your neighbor, Tanzania, when I was a child. All those nature shows about the Serengeti really did something for me. Nowadays, I'm rather fond of your northern neighbor, Ethiopia. Love their Yirgacheffe coffee beans, and a musical outfit from 50 years ago called The Ethiopiques.

Anyway, enjoy your journey!

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
One issue I've noticed with t.v. writers is they tend to write things more like they were when they were children. Like 90's t.v. shows where schools act like it's the 1970's. And I think back then people really thought Africa was not a modern in any way continent and also they based their stories off of the serials they read as kids. Or at least that's a partial theory on why t.v. writing can be weird.
Very true. It's easier to write stereotypes, isn't it? It's lazy to just base on what people think they know, but that's some all around the world. Funny you mention mud houses too-- the image is one of primitive backwardness. Many in Africa have "modern" houses of course, but people still use them, because, well, they are actually brilliant, useful constructions that use locally available materials. And they are the cool inside despite the hottest sun!

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
Welcome to the forum, from Southern California. I was absolutely obsessed with your neighbor, Tanzania, when I was a child. All those nature shows about the Serengeti really did something for me. Nowadays, I'm rather fond of your northern neighbor, Ethiopia. Love their Yirgacheffe coffee beans, and a musical outfit from 50 years ago called The Ethiopiques.

Anyway, enjoy your journey!
The Serengeti is amazing! I've only been once.

Ethiopian coffee... also amazing! My favorite is Tomoca.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Very true. It's easier to write stereotypes, isn't it? It's lazy to just base on what people think they know, but that's some all around the world. Funny you mention mud houses too-- the image is one of primitive backwardness. Many in Africa have "modern" houses of course, but people still use them, because, well, they are actually brilliant, useful constructions that use locally available materials. And they are the cool inside despite the hottest sun!
makes sense. I went with the huts instead of talking about spears.
Though I think the worst depiction of Africa in any movie is Ernest Goes to Africa (it's one of those things people think you're making up).

Status
Not open for further replies.