Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
1zrr5.jpg

Hawke's -Indian Moon-
I've recently come up with a blend which satisfies me immensely. I call it "Hawke's Indian Moon". While I will not reveal its contents other than to say it's a non-aromatic tobacco blend, and contains no illegal substances. I want to share it with others seeking their opinions.
I just opened up another crumble cake and find it simply wonderful and it inspired me to go ahead and create a thread for reviews of my blend.
My goal was to make an easy to light, burns all the way thru, has some decent nicotine kick, and tastes good of course. I check the moisture levels, and press it to marry the flavors for three days. I wanted to come close to the tastes of aged tobacco as possible and create a blend that would if put aside, age to compete with those blends known to make great changes for the better. I think I have accomplished this.
My secondary goal is to have something that would be a trade item for those who have cellars that contain some extra amounts of aged tobaccos and willing to trade and help me understand aged tobaccos even more. I have sent out batches to only three people so far.
A quote from Tyler:

Hawke sent me a message about trying some of his tobacco, waited patiently around for it to come. Finally today it was here! Gave it a go tonight and was extremely pleased! One was a crumble cake well named as Hawke's Indian Moon. Fell in love with this stuff as soon as it was lit. From beginning to end it was complex, smooth, and tasty. To me it had a nutty/creamy taste, transforming into a sweet smokey taste, merged together and began to be a little harder for me to explain. It was how you expect tobacco to be. It took one light to get to the bottom of the bowl, everything was right here. I smoked it out of my Falcon then realized the irony of smoking Hawke from a Falcon, decided to describe it as "When you smoke this from a Falcon it's sure to take flight."

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My goal was to make an easy to light, burns all the way thru, has some decent nicotine kick, and tastes good of course.
So far, I'm with you. I brewed up one as well, now in its fifteenth iteration or so, that has similar properties. Nothing as fancy as your methods, but I like it for those off-hours when the mood calls for something dark, strong and unsettling.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
My cellar is full of toddlers... grow up, damn you, GROW!
I admire you seasoned tobacco-jockeys, your advanced endeavors, and tales of the leaf. Maybe, if I stick around long enough, I'll learn a lil' something through osmosis.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Trading Joys: After receiving a 2009 McClelland #25 I loaded up a gift box with more than just 2 full ounces of Indian Moon for Mr fluffie666. The Vintage Syrian from 2013 sent with it is an incredible change and much smoother and darker than newly purchased VS. Thank you so much for this opportunity Sir.
I wish someone in my town enjoyed the pipe hobby as we do to share in the experience of opening the McClelland #25 tin. I'm going to wait as long as I can. And so you all can droll with me, an image of this unopened tin.

2ymat4w.jpg

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
The beginning part you have at the top on here gave me goose bumps. From the ground to the heavens. Awesome.

Great thread. I'm happy to be a part of it and will certainly post my thoughts on your blend. I'm very excited to try it. Anything nonaromatic with a good nic hit is right up my alley.

I think the # 25 is kind of light on the nic kick but you can't beat the taste of a quality aged VA. The tin looks good in it's new home.

The VS is from a trade I got going with another member on here. Easterntraveler was kind enough to send me a nice supply of Syrian from 2013 for a couple of tins of Three Nuns (the perique-less). VS is really nice stuff.

Fine people on these forums here. Learn some stuff, get some tobaccos you would never have tried, make some friends. All good feelings here. Cheers!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I've packed up a few samples of the Indian Moon and still have 3 more people on "The List". These samples are free to those who ask. If after trying it you would care to make some further trades, I'm game for any aged tobaccos. Amounts of Indian Moon will be suitable for the trade you propose.
23ryj4.jpg

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I just wanted to mention, this tobacco is extremely smooth. While it can be smoked any time, I have it reserved for full moons. Interested to see what others think about this one.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Another small batch out of the press! Slight change in the press utensil. Ive got the formula down and it can be duplicated easily for years to come probably. I'm now fine tuning the preparation of it in regard to time frames in press and amount of pressure.
I'm planning a "Plug Version" to see how that turns out, but I suspect the "Crumble Cake" will be best for immediate smoking. Maybe a plug might do better if one wants to age it. Your experience in this crumble cake vs plug would be appreciated. Thx in advance.
16lz61c.jpg

359lm47.jpg

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Exciting times are upon us here. Hawk's Indian Moon has finally risen in my town and is centralized entirely on my dining room table. He sent a couple of other goodies for me to try out as well. Some H&H Frenchy's Sunzabitches and a nice little packet of Troost. Both with a few years on them. Totally cool and I am grateful. Thank you Hawke!

Here are a couple of pics of the booty (not my ass so no fear). Hopefully they upload properly. If not, maybe one of the mods will be kind enough to help me out with this once again.
1205151533_zpstriaulyh.jpg.html

1205151533_zpstriaulyh.jpg.html

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Pictures not showing up Fluffie. Also, Hawke, I didn't know you had aged Frenchy's! I thought you hadn't tried it yet. Guess I got you mixed up with someone. That mean I need to send something else?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Update of "The List":
Samples Newly Shipped to Arrive:

davidintexas, mcitinner1,
Next Sample Shippings:

cynicismandsugar, derfargin, rigmedic1, mso489

Status
Not open for further replies.