PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Sure, i understand that for a few years now, guys have focused more on buying tobacco. That's a given. But, it doesn't explain the constant petty and jealous quips on posts made showing off new high ends, which is stifling people from posting new high ends, and has driven off a lot of our very knowledgeable collectors.

Pipe pics are great - in the 1980's I smoked nothing but Petersons and basket pipes I found in b&m's. If not for the internet and pipe forums, I'd still be doing that. I have not seen the quips in this forum, or any other, but perhaps I've just forgotten.

Maybe I'll post a few of my high-end pipes and wait for some abuse. Thinking about what I would post, now I'm remembering getting some grief for posting an unsmoked 1940's high end Peterson. "Let that damned pipe live it's life as it was intended!!!" But that was a little different.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Every field of interest has its pinnacle of craftsmanship. No one can own the pinnacle of Everything. We find what works satisfactorily for us. But we can sure look and appreciate those various pinnacles owned by others. I enjoy doing that and looking at photos posted of fine pipes.

’ll have to become wealthy
You don't have to be wealthy to buy a $500 pipe. I had my first Becker on layaway for five months before I paid it off and took it home. I know guys who mow yards for a living that are able to buy $1200 bicycles. I mean, I am not pushing anyone to buy high end pipes. I am just pointing out that you don't have to be a Wall Street exec to be able to buy a $500 pipe. But, if someone doesn't want one, then that is awesome too.

But, if someone wanted a high end, luckily enough, they are not totally out of reach if someone is willing to save up or use layaway (if the place has layaway). It's not like a Rolls Royce, that I would never be able to save up for.

The vibe of this thread.

It is what is.
throw back thursday | Tag | PrimoGIF

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thinking about what I would post, now I'm remembering getting some grief for posting an unsmoked 1940's high end Peterson. "Let that damned pipe live it's life as it was intended!!!" But that was a little different.
That BS still pops up from time to time. There was a guy on the forum who got irrationally indignant over the fact that I owned an unsmoked Barling set from 1907 and kept going on and on about how I was depriving the pipes of their "destiny", etc. He acted like his manhood was at stake. I didn't care then, and I don't care now. what he, or anybody thinks about that. I do hope that he got some treatment for his boundary issues. Smoke them, don't smoke them, it's nobody's freaking business.

The only thing I ask is that anyone using their pipes as anal suppositories kindly keep that fact to themselves, unless of course, they're putting them up for sale.

I will utter the occasional opprobrium when I see a pipe that's been abused by a former owner. I am, and will remain, completely unapologetic about that.

I have expressed, on occasion, an opinion on super duper expensive pipes in general, though never, ever, about a specific forum member's rather unfortunate sense of taste.

What else is a forum but a meeting place? We meet though our posts.

So don't let the bullies bully. Don't be intimidated. Post 'em if you got 'em. Post 'em if you don't got 'em. Kick the bullies where the sun never shines.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I don't understand briar pipes, in terms of quality. But nowadays you have so much information that helps you to choose what you really want, either by quality or aesthetics. Buy what you like, what makes you happier. I can't afford to buy a pipe over 300 euros. I also make a good stockpile of corn pipes, for me, they are still excellent vehicles to produce a tasty tobacco aroma. That said, if I had enough money, I would buy expensive pipes, but as long as they are of quality, their briar and materials.

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Ha, you should try a cob. They smoke the best, and you can always fix them with Elmers Glue if they break, unlike that fragile meerschaum, puffy

I really don't care that the forum now berates the more expensive pipes. But, if someone wants to know why more people don't post pictures of higher end ones.... I can tell you this it is the jealous little quips that they draw.
You don't have to be rich to buy a higher end pipe. Hell, anyone can save up $1000. It's not like only the rich can afford one. Anyone can. It is nothing like buying a Lamborghini or a 20ct diamond ring. Hell, most high ends are way cheaper than even most Rolex watches. But, I get it. Some people have to chose between buying food for a baby or smoking. But, it just seems the forum has swung more to the people having to make hard choices.

But, if this is just the way the forum is now, then so be it. Obviously, by the remarks above, people know that if they post their high ends, that they will feel arrogant... or whatever.

But, Tom asked a question.... and there is my reply. puffy
This is great. ^^

I’ve only been here for about a year, one of the things that really impressed me is that this is the most civil forum I’ve ever seen or heard of. I haven't seen the sniping first-hand.

I recently bought a pipe that I can’t afford, I thoroughly enjoy it and I do not regret it. I will do it again someday. If someone comes to shame me for it: I’ll know they’re an idiot.
On the other hand: If it happened over and over I could see becoming discouraged, eventually thinking “I can have community anywhere, I don’t need weird judgment for picking this hobby.” We’re on pipe forums, isn’t this a common hobby among members?

I’ve got little tolerance for lack of civility. I might be tough enough to handle it but some other new member might not be, and who the hell are we to discourage some lurker considering joining the dwindling ranks of pipers.

Maybe I get fired up about this because I see the local culture becoming this way, and I can’t join morons that shames success.

I guess I wanna say thank you, because mostly this forum civil and sane. I haven’t seen the shaming the level you’re describing, but if I did it would make my blood boil.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
These days, if someone was to buy a high grade Eltang, Balleby, Becker, Chonowitsch, or a vintage Ivarssson or Nordh, the chances that they would post it here are slim to none. All the more so if (God forbid) they elect not to smoke it. Choosing to not smoke a newly acquired pipe has too often become an object of disdain in the forums, Instagram, etc.

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
You don't have to be wealthy to buy a $500 pipe. I had my first Becker on layaway for five months before I paid it off and took it home. I know guys who mow yards for a living that are able to buy $1200 bicycles. I mean, I am not pushing anyone to buy high end pipes. I am just pointing out that you don't have to be a Wall Street exec to be able to buy a $500 pipe. But, if someone doesn't want one, then that is awesome too.

But, if someone wanted a high end, luckily enough, they are not totally out of reach if someone is willing to save up or use layaway (if the place has layaway). It's not like a Rolls Royce, that I would never be able to save up for.
I've already got one pipe I couldn't afford. I've got to be wealthy so I can show one off weekly.
I'm not being completely sarcastic. Sounds like this forum is missing some of the motivation for additional PAD :)

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and JOHN72

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
On the other hand: If it happened over and over I could see becoming discouraged, eventually thinking “I can have community anywhere, I don’t need weird judgment for picking this hobby.” We’re on pipe forums, isn’t this a common hobby among members?

Uh oh. Now you've done it. You referred to this as a "hobby" so now you should be prepared for a chorus of people telling you it's not a hobby and it's just something they do.