PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some member mentioned in a post that they felt Forums had leaned toward less expensive pipes over the years. That might be partly my fault, in a small way. I do remember, when I joined in 2013, nearly every day a different $600 to $800 and up artisan pipe appeared in a post, beautiful briars and Meerschaum, shown by members like Peck, Harris, fish'n'banjo, foggy mountain, and others. I thought i was still seeing those, if not from the same people, grand estate factory pipes and examples from the masters, recently including from a woman who seemed to be cornering the market in high end pipes daily.

I think Forums has a good balance of low to high end (priced) pipes and still shows off plenty of the finer pipes of life. Or has Forums veered way into the budget column? What do you think?

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
It's a good point, and worthy of discussion. I have noticed on forums (not necessarily this one) that postings of expensive, fancy, and highly desirable material objects can elicit scornful and derisive comments from envious participants. I have been victim of this myself, but not on this forum. But being bitten once can cause one to think twice about displaying the prides of one's collection. I'm glad that there are many with thicker skins than I.
A sign of the times, I think.

I collect and do post some of my acquisitions, but not all of them. It just feels weird, like bragging. I only post them if they are exciting to me or if anyone asks about an Artisan I might have in my collection.

I remember when I first joined this forum, I spent hours and hours going over old posts from the aforementioned Legends (and others) drooling over their pipes. I even bought some from 3 of the 4 mentioned.

I love looking at the pipes people post on this forum, be it a New Rossi or an ancient Barling, and appreciate the friendships I have built here through admiring their pipes.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I just haven’t seen many of the high end posts… not as often as it used to be.

Me either - most have been barely readable.

I haven't noticed people giving others hell about high-priced pipes (on any forum), but I believe most realize that you can't judge anyone by the things they spend 'too much' money on, as we each have our weaknesses that seem absurd to others. If you're smoking a $500 pipe and your daughter complains about tuition money, just remind her that it isn't that hard to dance around a pole.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I collect and do post some of my acquisitions, but not all of them. It just feels weird, like bragging. I only post them if they are exciting to me or if anyone asks about an Artisan I might have in my collection.

Yep.
This is much more prevalent on IG where photos are the main idea.

There's a couple guys I started following a few years ago - they seem to post up new (medium to super high $) acquisitions every other day.
On one hand I get it, but after a while it does begin feeling like "showing off".
I'm sure there's some jealousy sprinkled in there but damn get a life lol.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm not sure of what the latest trend may be.

I have noticed dwindling availability of certain pipes, including estates, on the market. I'm not sure if this has lead to increased prices as well but prices do seem to have creeped up. It's almost as if there has been "panic buying" of certain pipes (especially at auction).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have on occasions taken up for lower-end factory pipes and other pipes at the lower price levels, but at the same time I have mentioned my higher end pipes and said how glad I am to have them.

I have never hesitated to admire some artisan master works and to single out particular aspects that make them unique and desirable beyond just the price and name recognition of the carver.

I'd hate to think that because I appreciate some of the virtues of quality pipes at low prices I'm shouldering out presentation of some of the most elegant pipes of Forums members. Just a word of encouragement to high-end pipe owners.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There's a couple guys I started following a few years ago - they seem to post up new (medium to super high $) acquisitions every other day.
On one hand I get it, but after a while it does begin feeling like "showing off".
There is an element of "showing off" to be surennnn

When I discovered this Forums a few years back, it was the photos of pipes that members (Peck, fishnbanjo, Kashmir, foggy mountain, klause, mark achtman, Jesse, Al Jones to name a few) would share that really enthused and inspired me. bdw

By posting pics of my pipes, I am hoping to do the same for the newer members or lurkers (I was one for some years).puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
These things are cyclical. And maybe seems maybe less to do with forum and age of members. Like when you're retired spending more on a pipe makes more sense. Since you'll have more time to enjoy it or something like that. Most of my pipes I bring to work and if I was retired I'd feel better about spending the money on a pipe I can enjoy more often at home or around the neighborhood. But you could just as easily ask about what types of pants the girls are wearing these days and why.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't show off acquisitions as there is no point in it, that I can see. Further, why in the world would anyone have an interest in what I spend on a pipe. So, unless one is touting a maker or simply showing off an acquisition why post pictures of such. Now, photos of possible defects/repairs or for help in identifying, that I understand.

Then there are the envious/jealous members who must iterate and then, reiterate their opinion that moneys are wasted on "high end" pipes. A position of pure "tommy rot". It's akin to asking what the members think of a purchase and then taking umbrage when someone writes, "It's ugly." Why ask if you don't want the unvarnished opinion.

Others opinions simply do not matter to me. For, the life of me I can't fathom why others would care what I buy or smoke. I select a purchase on criteria I've often posted and what others think is not not one of them.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Others opinions simply do not matter to me. For, the life of me I can't fathom why others would care what I buy or smoke. I select a purchase on criteria I've often posted and what others think is not not one of them.
We care. I'm sad at the moment, thinking that we're not as tight as I thought we were :cry:

Just kidding - I'm only interested in your crazy thoughts, such as the one above. It's entertaining.