PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Let me see if I follow this.

If I show off my pipes I’m an arrogant douche.

If I don’t show off my pipes I’m an erudite iconoclast.

If someone figures out how much a pipe is worth I’m an arrogant bastard.

If I can prove I only smoke pipes that cost less that a Happy Meal I’m a man of the people.

These threads always amuse me, because I don’t give a flying fuck how much or little you make, I also don’t care if you smoke a cob or a super high end artisan, I care about seeing pipes.

I’ll truly never understand or underestimate man’s needs to measure his dick on on a public forum.

Anyway, here’s a 10 inch Meer.

View attachment 146327

Little man syndrome eh?

• Angry
Reactions: aquadoc
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Generally speaking, pipe smoking is a solitary experience. The pipes I purchase are to please me, because I appreciate their aesthetics, or history, or uniqueness and beauty, and every combo of those qualities possible—whether they cost twelve dollars or ten times that, or one hundred times that. I share pics in the WAYS thread because it seems likely fellow pipe smokers will appreciate these objects/tools like no other people could. I enjoy seeing pics there very much. Sometimes it leads me to new discoveries.

My rare book collector friends love showing off new acquisitions to each other—we often have interests that are quite far from each other, but, we can appreciate the significance of the book or manuscript and how much it means to that person's collection, how long one has been hunting down a particular volume, the effort it took to track something down for thirty years. It feels good to share something, knowing that the other person knows how important it is to you; something you do on your own now becomes a bonding experience with someone else. Sharing creates a kind of closeness that is underappreciated.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We also have a lot more beginners.
Honestly, I don’t miss the cult members who would disparage any pipe that wasn’t a Dunhill, or who would go on and on about what crap Sutliff tobaccos were, all the while happily smoking blends that were made by Sutliff and released under a different label.
We’ve seen plenty of high end pipes recently, trophies from auctions, so I’m not entirely in agreement with the thesis of this thread.
Especially given the approaching shit show I’m happy to have what I have. There’s freedom in that.

^^^This^^^
Please don’t stop posting photos of your pipes gentlemen- wether they are cobs or artisans or whatever.
Yeh, I am not a chronic WAYs thread guy, but when I am on there, I will give a cob a "like" especially if it is an original picture taken just for that post. But, I will pause and try to remember whether the guy called me an asshole back in the cob wars, ha ha. JK, I can't remember what I did yesterday, much less remember who any of you are, except Tom and Tim, ha ha.

who would go on and on about what crap Sutliff tobaccos were, all the while happily smoking blends that were made by Sutliff and released under a different label.
Wait, I am the only one I know of that has disparaged Sutliff, and I even dislike the shit they make for other companies... so no irony there. But, that was mostly during the cob wars. I don't disparage Sutliff much these days. I'm all "like what you smoke" nowadays. I haven't even made fun of Carter Hall in a few months. puffy

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Yeh, I am not a chronic WAYs thread guy, but when I am on there, I will give a cob a "like" especially if it is an original picture taken just for that post. But, I will pause and try to remember whether the guy called me an asshole back in the cob wars, ha ha. JK, I can't remember what I did yesterday, much less remember who any of you are, except Tom and Tim, ha ha.
I just figure pipes are the tie that binds around here- they are the reason we all come here so let’s see what you got.
There is no reason to piss on anyone else’s parade.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wait, I am the only one I know of that has disparaged Sutliff, and I even dislike the shit they make for other companies... so no irony there. But, that was mostly during the cab wars. I don't disparage Sutliff much these days. I'm all "like what you smoke" nowadays. I haven't even made fun of Carter Hall in a few months. puffy
There was a cadre for a while. Just one of many passing fads.
6 or so years ago, C&D was a joke. It wasn’t considered tobacco, much less quality tobacco. Now their product is much loved.
Change is a constant.

I just figure pipes are the tie that binds around here- they are the reason we all come here so let’s see what you got.
There is no reason to piss on anyone else’s parade.
Of course. I wouldn't do that. I post a "congrats on every new pipe post, despite what it is. The only ones I don't are just the ones I miss. Everyone should celebrate all pipes. And, not just piss on the expensive ones... or the cheap ones.

There was a cadre for a while. Just one of many passing fads.
6 or so years ago, C&D was a joke. It wasn’t considered tobacco, much less quality tobacco. Now their product is much loved.
Change is a constant.
I made a post after a pipe show, where I took a picture of garbage just cans running over with unopened cans of Sutliff give away tins. They were almost forcing these tins of aromatics on people, and I thought it was funny that guys were just dropping them into the first garbage can they came to. I posted it and I mentioned that guys were using them as hockey pucks in the parking lot, and doing hacky sack with them.
That post seemed to piss people off, and I believe it was Jim who first said that Sutliff also makes aromatics and does some processing for other companies on that thread. And, of course people have copied his post from that thread. But, I also replied that I also am not crazy about those other aromatics either.

It wasn't like I was bashing Sutliff all over the place. I was just showing what most of the guys were doing with those free tins being forced on us. Low and behold I think that now, people would probably love any free samples. But, I still stand firm that my post was funny as hell, despite whether it rubbed Sutliff fans the wrong way or not. puffy

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I love pipes of all shapes, sizes, and prices! I wouldn't personally buy a pipe that cost over a certain amount, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing them!

But it seems to me I see less low-end pipes here than high-end. In fact, I don't usually take photos of the pipes I get, simply because I always felt people wouldn't be too interested in seeing an old system pipe, or a plain, unadorned, pipe(like my favourite pipe, my Mr Brog Morta ~ it's not fancy, or "amazing" in any way. Just a plain bent billiard that cost less than 100 dollars).

That's a subtle, but great point. The pipes are appealing to vision and feel (mainly), but tobacco is taste and smell, which is the winner.
Sure, i understand that for a few years now, guys have focused more on buying tobacco. That's a given. But, it doesn't explain the constant petty and jealous quips on posts made showing off new high ends, which is stifling people from posting new high ends, and has driven off a lot of our very knowledgeable collectors.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I made a post after a pipe show, where I took a picture of garbage just cans running over with unopened cans of Sutliff give away tins. They were almost forcing these tins of aromatics on people, and I thought it was funny that guys were just dropping them into the first garbage can they came to. I posted it and I mentioned that guys were using them as hockey pucks in the parking lot, and doing hacky sack with them.
That post seemed to piss people off, and I believe it was Jim who first said that Sutliff also makes aromatics and does some processing for other companies on that thread. And, of course people have copied his post from that thread. But, I also replied that I also am not crazy about those other aromatics either.

It wasn't like I was bashing Sutliff all over the place. I was just showing what most of the guys were doing with those free tins being forced on us. Low and behold I think that now, people would probably love any free samples. But, I still stand firm that my post was funny as hell, despite whether it rubbed Sutliff fans the wrong way or not. puffy
The Sutliff give away program was a spectacular dud.
What people didn’t know was that Sutliff was producing a wide range of blends for other labels, like Peretti, or component tobaccos for other blenders, like McClelland of Blessed Memory.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
You must be avoiding all of the "rumination" posts and new cob stem posts.
Granted, I don't read every post. Maybe I avoid the show your pipes posts for the reason you mentioned...the unnecessarily envious digs that are sometimes given.

At any rate, I love pipes! Low or high, I like to see someone enjoying what they have.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Interesting thread. I guess I haven't thought about it till now. I suppose I don't see as many high-end pipes shown off as I used to see. I think a lot of the members who regularly posted pics of their fine pipes don't frequent the forum as much or at all anymore. But I also agree that there are a lot of new pipe smokers joining the forums these days. If I had the money to purchase high-end pipes then I would certainly post pics of them, without shame. I also enjoy seeing members cobs and other low-end pipes. I just like pipes. I like to see other's pipes and know that they are enjoying them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Granted, I don't read every post. Maybe I avoid the show your pipes posts for the reason you mentioned...the unnecessarily envious digs that are sometimes given.

At any rate, I love pipes! Low or high, I like to see someone enjoying what they have.
I don’t see many digs at pipes being posted at any price point.
I may wish less of them looked like they had melted, or like sloppy seconds, outhouse refugees, victims of enraged beavers, roadkill, alien insemination, etc, but I would never be so gauche as to say anything…

Oh…damn…