PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I eat my share of moose heart and liver though, and generally love organ meats. I’d gobble up some Haggis in a heartbeat.

We don’t eat moose liver anymore. Build up of heavy metals, like cadmium, makes it dangerous. Might just be east coast moose.

I used to have haggis once a year on Robbie Burns day with a bunch of crusty Scots in Toronto. Never liked it, but found out a trick to fake it: pour an ounce of Laphroaig from your glass over your haggis. It takes some of the edge off.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've never eaten Haggis. I do like liver and onions...just had some for dinner on Saturday.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Here in the Faroes […]

I was just watching YouTube videos of helicopters taking off and landing in the Faroe Islands, as my 4 year old son loves helicopters. If we take the kids on a vacation off our island, he wants to go to the Faroes (but mostly to watch the helicopters).

Reactions: anotherbob

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I was just watching YouTube videos of helicopters taking off and landing in the Faroe Islands, as my 4 year old son loves helicopters. If we take the kids on a vacation off our island, he wants to go to the Faroes (but mostly to watch the helicopters).
I'll let the tourist information office know they need to use more helicopters in their ads ?

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and Casual

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Going back to the opening post and the fault may be mine, but I've never heard the words 'beef' and 'haggis' used to describe a single food item
For me haggis is from sheep, end of story

I used to eat it weekly as a staple food, where I am now I ration myself based on how much I can get brought out here
I have a kilo or so left in the freezer and none of it has ever been close to a cow unless they were in adjacent fields ?

Reactions: Casual

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m not a very adventurous eater in general, but what you consider comfort food is often a function of what you eat growing up. I love scrapple, but some of my friends hear what’s in it and wouldn’t try some on a bet.
?I love pan rabbit!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My experience with seal oil was more a repeated need to vacate my bowels. Cruising across the tundra on the snowmachine and suddenly needing to stop, hurriedly remove my clothing, and get the job done. My native companions found this immensely funny to witness. I expect anytime I see them for the rest of my life they will ask if I'd like some seal oil with a subtle implied humor.

Yeah it's some wonderful stuff. Nothing like the old tundra trow drop. Nowhere to hide.....

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
We don’t eat moose liver anymore. Build up of heavy metals, like cadmium, makes it dangerous. Might just be east coast moose.

I used to have haggis once a year on Robbie Burns day with a bunch of crusty Scots in Toronto. Never liked it, but found out a trick to fake it: pour an ounce of Laphroaig from your glass over your haggis. It takes some of the edge off.

Never heard of that issue here. We usually mix it with some of the heart to make liverwurst (unless the heart has been annihilated, which is often the case) . Have to save some of the heart for the crock pot though, so unbelievably tender.......

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
used to eat it every burns dinner. probably not the authentic haggis. not sure where the local st. andrews society get theirs. been awhile now since i stopped playing the bagpipes. once this lady sitting next to me mentioned it tasted like cat food.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Since my original order got refunded, went on Amazon to order the Caledonian Kitchen Haggis and Bisto chip shop curry sauce mix. Dang, you can find darn near everything at Amazon. Figured canned would be easier to work with.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Instead, You may want to try this widely available liver casserole TV dinner''it is made out of rice, ground liver,butter,and some spices,and if one is in a hurry,it is suitable to cook in micro-oven,and the price is consumer-friendly as well $ 2 ,the most popular traditional pre-cooked dish over here and is produced since 1957,indeed lovely,

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.