PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
OK, it's a heritage thing, (Ulster-Scot). But my wife suggested this evening that we proceed to buy each other some inexpensive gifts for Christmas. Often we've passed in order to simply buy gifts for other family members. So, thought about what I'd like and said beef haggis and chip shop curry sauce for the steak fries, (the American version of chips), I'd want to have with it. It's ordered and on the way. So, wonder how many people ask for Haggis for Christmas.:LOL: Hey, I hadn't had it in a few years. May the Scot be with you.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It's been a few years since I've had haggis but I like it. I don't think the issue is taste but more knowing what it is. At least that's been the case when I've had it. I've only ever had haggis when attending an annual Robert Burns Appreciation Society fund raiser celebrating his birthday. I only make the event every 3-ish years though.

Reactions: danimalia

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I love haggis!❤❤❤ Older members of my mother's family make it with sheep stomach, vegetables and barley.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Scotch Irish here, but we are nearly 300 years removed from the old country (showed up in the colonies in 1750). I eat my share of moose heart and liver though, and generally love organ meats. I’d gobble up some Haggis in a heartbeat.

Certainly eaten weirder shit. MukTuk, Seal oil, Akutaq (Eskimo Ice Cream), Nuoc Mam. Seal oil is something else. One drop and you’ll puke for the rest of your life.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My understanding is that there are many variables in both cleaning and cooking them.

I'm sticking with Hoppin' John...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That was about my opinion. Natives love it, been eating it for 10,000 years. Good hunting sustenance and makes good lamp oil. Not for my whiteman tastebuds though. Never again.
My great grandmother was Shawnee and swore groundhog grease would cure all that ails you.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Seal oil is something else. One drop and you’ll puke for the rest of your life.
My experience with seal oil was more a repeated need to vacate my bowels. Cruising across the tundra on the snowmachine and suddenly needing to stop, hurriedly remove my clothing, and get the job done. My native companions found this immensely funny to witness. I expect anytime I see them for the rest of my life they will ask if I'd like some seal oil with a subtle implied humor.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Here in the Faroes we eat everything off our sheep, but we don't prepare it like the scots do haggis. I've tried it in Scotland a few times, but I didn't care much for it. The main flavors are liver, stomach and sheep fat. In my opinion, it would be better with some more seasoning, but I guess that's just a matter of habit.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.