PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I prefer my ales cellar temperature, though I've been known to chuck bottles into the fridge or an ice chest for parties - much easier to let a bottle warm up to a preferred temp than chill it to a specific point... :D

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
They put serve chilled on the can/bottle so westerners will buy it, personally I find most ale loses all it's subtle flavour when it's cold. When served on tap the co2 puts it below room temp which is the ideal drinking temp for ale or stout. Most western folks simply aren't cultured enough for ale or pipes imo

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
IMHO (from the east side of the pond) all dark beers should be drunk at cellar temp, not least because, like erichbaumer says, there is an analogy with red wine in that coldness hides their complex flavours.
I no longer drink Guinness in pubs unless I am visiting Ireland. Firstly because in the UK it is always served cold and even (can you believe?) EXTRA cold! Secondly I'm not sure that the stuff brewed on licence outside Ireland is the same as that in Dublin; it certainly doesn't taste the same to me.
Many moons ago I played rugby for "London Irish". They told me I must drink Guinness. I replied that I didn't like the bitter metallic aftertaste. They informed me that the club imported its Guinness directly from Dublin and made me drink it! It was just warmer than cellar temp - a beautiful mellow pint with no harsh aftertaste - After six pints I admitted I was wholly wrong, but only about their sourced Guinness.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Years ago, in my ignorance as a 19-year-old drinker, I challenged the potability of the pint served to me one February Sunday morning at the Red Lion on Bleecker Street in New York City. My skepticism, based on my Guinness experience being limited to four-packs of bottles (I wasn't old enough to drink legally, so had no draught experience) enraged the proprietor so much that he came to my table and delivered, in disgust and red-faced, a lecture that convinced me that Guinness is to be served at 55º F.
It was an embarrassing lesson, but one that served me well through life.
Jay

badgercat

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2011
Somewhere around 55-60 Degrees is great for me. Not exactly warm but nowhere near cold. I loose too much of the good flavor when the stout is too cold.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
After six pints I admitted I was wholly wrong,...
After six pints of Guinness, I think I'd be ready to admit to anything... :P
My fave restaurant used to serve draught Guinness and I'd enjoy a pint or two, but mysteriously, they stopped serving it. Have to find out why.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
Room Temperature. The local brew pups always serve they're ales way too cold. I guess that's to suit the American way. My first round at the pub always consists of two pints. The first will be struggle through while the second comes to the proper temp. When I begin the second the next round is ordered. I'll follow this pattern to the end. Wherever that is.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Bottled Guinness at room temp, whereas draught and from the can with the little depth charge inside should be slightly chilled. But not frigid.
I agree that Guinness from the keg tastes better in the Republic than Guinness in the UK.
Donkey's years ago at Holyhead I boarded the ferry to Dún Laoghaire, already well lubricated with Guinness from Anglesey. As the ferry lurched out of the harbour, the bar opened and I had a few pints of what the barman assured me was from St James's Gate. The difference was noticeable.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Guinness is my standard beer choice. I store it in the fridge but it tastes better after it has warmed a little. I only get the bottled version ("imported" from Canada now, but I remember when it wasn't). I tried the canned stuff and didn't like it. Stouts and Porters are my favorite beers, and I rarely buy any other type these days. I also like Paulaner Salvator Doppel Bock and Octoberfest.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
Where I live in Dunedin room temperature is usually pretty close to cellar temperature. And Definitely don't like porters or stouts chilled, cool but not cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.