PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
Two interesting ways to drink Guinness you may not have tried :
Approximately 1/2 Lemonade topped with Guinness. Great drink on hot day in the summer.
Vanilla ice cream in a glass topped with Guinness. Stir and allow the ice cream to melt. Essentially a Guinness float.
If you've never tried these two combinations, give up any preconceived notions and give them a try. (You will be pleasantly surprised.)

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I'm a fan of Guinness at "cellar" temperature (55-60 degrees). Any colder and I tend to lose a lot of the flavor.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Stored in the Fridge. Grew up in Germany for about 5 years when I was a teenager & most used to drink all beer warm, best for the belly.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Cellar temp, which many Americans consider warm. In their defense if you tried to drink Coors at cellar temps you might die.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I store mine in the fridge but let it sit once poured to reach a better drinking temp. :puffy:

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
When drinking Guinness, I usually drink the draft and I prefer it cold, but I have had it at the cellar temp (55-60 deg.) and I'm pretty sure I liked it that way too. I also enjoy Harp and Smithwicks occasionally, the colder the better for both of them. BTW I think Guinness (or most dark beers for that matter) goes beautifully with just about any english/latakia blend of tobacco.

Now I'm getting thirsty just thinking about a cold Guinness draft!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Cellar temperature on pour. Seems that some of the flavors get muted if it's any cooler, and some flavors develop more if it sits around. One shouldn't guzzle this stuff down in any case....... ya know, like doing shooters with single malts and the such...... 8O

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Love Guinness my favourite drink in a pint, understand Cornwall makes a great stout not dissimilar to Guinness. On speaking to pub landlords it seams its on the decrease, most young people seam to drink larger. I like my Guinness cold.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I prefer mine chilled, but I like Guinness enough that, if offered, I would probably drink it steaming hot out of a coffee mug.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Cellar temperature is correct for service of most traditional British and Irish beers - 11° to 13 ° Celsius (51°-55°F) This allows all the flavours to come through! Too cold and you can't taste subtle complexities and the beer tastes 'empty'

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Unless 50-55 degrees is cold where you come from.
In SE Louisiana, 50-55 degrees is cold. I like Guiness - and just about all dark beer and ales - cooler than room temperature but not cold. When I get one at a bar or restaurant, I tend to let it sit for 5 or 6 minutes before I start drinking it, just to let it warm up a bit.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Two interesting ways to drink Guinness you may not have tried :
Approximately 1/2 Lemonade topped with Guinness. Great drink on hot day in the summer.
Vanilla ice cream in a glass topped with Guinness. Stir and allow the ice cream to melt. Essentially a Guinness float.
If you've never tried these two combinations, give up any preconceived notions and give them a try. (You will be pleasantly surprised.)
Sacrilege!!

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
If we are just talking about Guinness, then room temp or cold are both fine for me (draft only please).

Anything else has to be as cold as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.